Most complete fighter ever? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Lightfall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 285
Lightfall will become famous soon enoughLightfall will become famous soon enoughLightfall will become famous soon enoughLightfall will become famous soon enoughLightfall will become famous soon enoughLightfall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
I don't know, I've heard people saying that according to Ring rules he won that fight clearly, but I can't tell for sure because I don't know how those rules are, and anyway that was the beginning of his career and he has been dominant ever since .
Whereas Arona has not been, he has lost 3 of his last 4 fights, 2 in brutal fashion.
Lightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
GMW
International Stalker
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,203
Blog Entries: 2
GMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
I don't know, I've heard people saying that according to Ring rules he won that fight clearly, but I can't tell for sure because I don't know how those rules are, and anyway that was the beginning of his career and he has been dominant ever since .
Sort of like against Hughes the first time it was early in GSP's career and he dominated the next two times?
As for Serra, he definitely canceled it out with dominating Serra again.

But, on the topic of the thread, I still think Fedor is more well rounded then GSP.
The black mark for GSP is his striking. It's pretty good for the WW division but it'd weak everywhere else.
__________________

Credit to ThaMuffinMan
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
Damone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like Tuna
Yeah, it has to be Fedor. His only flaw is that he cuts easily. That's it. His wrestling is there, he sets up his takedowns, his sub game is there, his stand-up is there, he has very solid conditioning. He's just the complete package.
__________________
Damone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Terry77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,536
Terry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By AllTerry77 Is Beloved By All
I can't call Anderson Silva the most complete fighter ever, since the blue print is there on how to beat him. St. Pierre is another guy who can be beat standing and subb'd before, and Frank Shamrock never had the best defense for wrastlin.

All good, well rounded guys but Fedor takes the cake. We're talking smack about the guy lately (me too) but everybody was wondering after the Cro Cop fight "how do you beat him?" You can't soundly outsttrike or submit him and even if you get in his guard you're screwed.

As mentioned, Fedor can be cut. Hell, Lindland opened him up pretty bad. It will be interesting to see him in the US with elbows in play.
Terry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Pyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 1,299
Pyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW View Post
Sort of like against Hughes the first time it was early in GSP's career and he dominated the next two times?
As for Serra, he definitely canceled it out with dominating Serra again.

But, on the topic of the thread, I still think Fedor is more well rounded then GSP.
The black mark for GSP is his striking. It's pretty good for the WW division but it'd weak everywhere else.
So? He still lost. Fedor never had to avenge any losses, because he simply doesn't lose.
Pyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
GMW
International Stalker
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,203
Blog Entries: 2
GMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
So? He still lost. Fedor never had to avenge any losses, because he simply doesn't lose.
I'm just saying, Fighter's grow and get better.
GSP lost to hughes at like 22 or 23, and Fedor started fighting in Pride at much older then that.
The way they are currently, I don't think his loss to Serra or Hughes matter anymore and GSP is a p4p better fighter.
__________________

Credit to ThaMuffinMan
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Pyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 1,299
Pyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enough
Who says Fedor can't still get better (well realistically I don't know if that's possible, it's a sacry thought xD). And of course his losses matter, just because you avenged them later doesn't mean you didn't get your ass kicked the first time. And he's not P4P better than Fedor for a simple reason, Fedor could probably cut to 205 if he wanted and is a small HW, while GSP is a big WW who towers over his opponents, you can't deny the fact that he's bigger gives him an edge over many opponents, so no, he's not better P4P.
Pyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
GMW
International Stalker
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,203
Blog Entries: 2
GMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
Who says Fedor can't still get better (well realistically I don't know if that's possible, it's a sacry thought xD). And of course his losses matter, just because you avenged them later doesn't mean you didn't get your ass kicked the first time. And he's not P4P better than Fedor for a simple reason, Fedor could probably cut to 205 if he wanted and is a small HW, while GSP is a big WW who towers over his opponents, you can't deny the fact that he's bigger gives him an edge over many opponents, so no, he's not better P4P.
Yeah, Fedor could get better, what is your point with that? I only brought up getting better in defense of his first Hughes loss.

MMA is a sport where what you do now matters most, and GSP's losses to hughes and serra were a while ago and have been completely over ridden.

GSP is a big WW but weight wise a lot of WW are in the same field as him, especially hughes and koscheck. And doesn't fedor weigh like 230? That's a pretty normal HW. Most of them aren't like Tim Sylvia. Take Nog and CC, who during Fedor's peak, were ranked two and three respectively.

In the end, when I look at their records and skill sets, I think GSP's physical ability is tied with Fedor, but his control is so far above anyone else's it outweighs Fedor's benefits over GSP.
And looking at record's I'd also give it to GSP.
__________________

Credit to ThaMuffinMan
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Pyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 1,299
Pyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enoughPyros will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW View Post
Yeah, Fedor could get better, what is your point with that? I only brought up getting better in defense of his first Hughes loss.

MMA is a sport where what you do now matters most, and GSP's losses to hughes and serra were a while ago and have been completely over ridden.

GSP is a big WW but weight wise a lot of WW are in the same field as him, especially hughes and koscheck. And doesn't fedor weigh like 230? That's a pretty normal HW. Most of them aren't like Tim Sylvia. Take Nog and CC, who during Fedor's peak, were ranked two and three respectively.

In the end, when I look at their records and skill sets, I think GSP's physical ability is tied with Fedor, but his control is so far above anyone else's it outweighs Fedor's benefits over GSP.
And looking at record's I'd also give it to GSP.

You said fighters get better to support your point, if GSP can get better so can Fedor.

And you are with that again, it doesn't matter if he has avenged the losses, they happened, he got bested in two occasions, while Fedor has never been beaten. You can avenge your losses but the fact that you got KTFO or submitted will stand forever, for now GSP is beatable, Fedor is not, until someone proves otherwise, which frankly I don't see anyone doing.

Fedor weights at 230 yes, but he's not ripped like other HW, the fact is he got a strict diet he could probably fight at 205 were he could have a bigger size advantage, but he doesn't because he can easily kick ass at HW, that plays a huge part in determining a P4P fighter.

GSP's control is above Fedor? Who has Fedor not been able to control? Heck, he usually beats people at their own games, he can control you standing or on the ground, while GSP striking isn't great as proved by Serra. And records, yeah maybe GSP has beaten more people that are currently top 10, but when Fedor beat Herring he was top 10, Schilt was top 10, Coleman and Randleman were top 10, Mark Hunt was top 10, Babalu and Arona were top 10 LHW, Lindland is a top 10 MW. Wow Fedor record looks pretty good too, right?

Last edited by Pyros : 05-15-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Pyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Tripod87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 723
Tripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By AllTripod87 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfall View Post
Normally Id say Fedor, but im going with Anderson, he will finish you in any way he want's, plus he's constantly improving.
Anderson's wrestling is still definitely in its developing stages, and I'd still like to see how good his BJJ is against a guy who doesn't gas so easily. Just the fact that his guard has been passed so easily before is not a good sign. He's a great fighter and IMO number 1 p4p, but not the most complete fighter ever.
__________________
11th (+27)
Wanderlei SIlva
Rich Franklin
Josh Koscheck
Joachim Hansen
Tripod87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios