Gary Shaw open to "Kimbo" vs. Mike Tyson bout
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on May 15, 2008 at 5:08 pm ET
EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw said he's had no talks with Mike Tyson or any of his representatives, but he's certainly open to the idea of EliteXC heavyweight Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson taking on the legendary boxer.
The website MediaTakeOut.com today reported that Tyson has tentatively agreed to fight Ferguson under the EliteXC banner.
Shaw denied any negotiations for the bout but said he'd "make that fight in a heartbeat."
"I have the media report about Mike," Shaw said during a media conference call today. "I've had no discussions with Mike or anyone around Mike. I know Mike. Yes, I would make that fight in a heartbeat."
Tyson, 41, owns a 58-6 career boxing record and was the world's undisputed heavyweight champion and the youngest man ever to win a world heavyweight title. He won his first 37 fights (with 33 knockouts) but hasn't competed since a June 2005 sixth-round TKO loss to Kevin McBride. It was his third loss in his past four fights.
According to the report, the fight with Ferguson would take place "late this year or early next."
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com
) reported last month, Ferguson recently signed a contract extension with EliteXC. Insiders says that Shaw, a longtime boxing promoter, spearheaded the effort to extend Ferguson's deal with the company.
If Gary Shaw can get this fight to happen, it will be huge. Yah i know I will here lots of Kimbo sucks and Tyson is old and washed up but just think about this fights hype. It could easily be one of the biggest fights oney wise in MMA history. It will bring in boxing fans s well as MMA