something I always wanted to know.... - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
 
Question something I always wanted to know....

i've seen tons of boxers get their asses royally pounded by mma fighters....but i've always wondered what would happen if a professional heavyweight champion, lets say someone like Mike Tyson in his prime, would step in the ring with an mma champion?? any thoughts and explanations on who would win??

the reason i specifically mention tyson is because he has always had an advantage over most boxers due to his height...he is shorter than the average boxer giving him a lower center of gravity resulting in better balance...so shooting in for a take-down might be a little more challenging...his size also makes it more difficult to land a strike on him when standing...this is clearly shown in most of his fights...

Last edited by kinjomusashi; 07-07-2008 at 01:48 AM.
kinjomusashi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Pain Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 330
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjomusashi View Post
i've seen tons of boxers get their asses royally pounded by mma fighters....but i've always wondered what would happen if a professional heavyweight champion, lets say someone like Mike Tyson in his prime, would step in the ring with an mma champion?? any thoughts and explanations on who would win??

the reason i specifically mention tyson is because he has always had an advantage over most boxers due to his height...he is shorter than the average boxer giving him a lower center of gravity resulting in better balance...so shooting in for a take-down might be a little more challenging...his size also makes it more difficult to land a strike on him when standing...this is clearly shown in most of his fights...
Interesting question. My first thought is "How well would a pro-boxer deal with leg/high kicks?" And I think most boxers are used to being separated when in the clinch so the takedown might be easier from that position, rather than shooting in from the outside. I think a pro-MMA fighter would have the clear advantage over a pro-boxer.
Dioxippus is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM
MMA Fanatic
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
   
good question bro. also you have to think that boxers use big gloves, so when they try the small ones their hands should fly.
leacaselli is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Love Hisae
 
taiwnezboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 535
           
I think they'd either get taken down from a double leg or from the clinch, or killed from knees from the thai clinch. If the MMA fighter is stupid and tried to strike, he'd most likely get owned.



Cris Cyborg
Chute Boxe Academy
MMA Record: 4-0 (3 (T)KOs)
Recently signed by EliteXC
Cris Cyborg Highlight Reel

taiwnezboi is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Featherweight
 
mmawrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles by way of Vancouver
Posts: 1,439
                     
I think tyson in his prime with a solid 6 month mma training camp would be a serios force, something like brock lesnar but better.

I have a felling this thread has been done before, or at least ive discussed it with my friends before

but good thread anyway

mmawrestler is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Love Hisae
 
taiwnezboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 535
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmawrestler View Post
I think tyson in his prime with a solid 6 month mma training camp would be a serios force, something like brock lesnar but better.

I have a felling this thread has been done before, or at least ive discussed it with my friends before

but good thread anyway
oh man Tyson in his prime with takedown defense? game over



Cris Cyborg
Chute Boxe Academy
MMA Record: 4-0 (3 (T)KOs)
Recently signed by EliteXC
Cris Cyborg Highlight Reel

taiwnezboi is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
 
thanks for all the replies!...i hope more people especially pro mma fighters would give their opinions as well on this subject...either way seeing a pro boxer like tyson with some mma training in a pro mma fight would definitely be something I'd pay money to watch...hint, hint, if Mike Tyson is reading this thread....
kinjomusashi is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Earthquake Survivor
 
Chileandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,936
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwnezboi View Post
oh man Tyson in his prime with takedown defense? game over
And a stance and strategy to deal with leg kicks?
Chileandude is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Love Hisae
 
taiwnezboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 535
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileandude View Post
And a stance and strategy to deal with leg kicks?
Punches counter kicks. He'd probably just push in and take the kick and counter it with punches. With his hands and power, the kicker is going down.



Cris Cyborg
Chute Boxe Academy
MMA Record: 4-0 (3 (T)KOs)
Recently signed by EliteXC
Cris Cyborg Highlight Reel

taiwnezboi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome