Shamrock eyes November fight with Robbie Lawler - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

View Poll Results: Who Wins?
Robbie Lawler 27 47.37%
Frank Shamrock 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjd7 View Post
No JP the fact he decided to stand was dumb.

Why would you stand with Cung Le who has proven stand up when he has an unknown ground game?

Frank could've gotten it to the ground a couple times and didn't seem very interested. He had a much greater chance of winning the fight on the ground than on the feet where it was maybe a 50/50 fight.

I don't blame Frank for wanting to put on a show but it was a terrible fight strategy.


The thing is Cungs ground game is not unknown. Not to Frank. They're both from San Jose California, they've known eachother for years and they sparred together for so long.

Frank wanted to knock him out. And maybe he would have had a better chance had he not decided to play games and make jokes in the cage during the fight.

It just really looked like he didn't take Cung serious and I beleive that was his dumbest move.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Heavyweight
 
e-thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 3,896
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
The thing is Cungs ground game is not unknown. Not to Frank. They're both from San Jose California, they've known eachother for years and they sparred together for so long.

Frank wanted to knock him out. And maybe he would have had a better chance had he not decided to play games and make jokes in the cage during the fight.

It just really looked like he didn't take Cung serious and I beleive that was his dumbest move.
I think you and bbjd7 both have valid points. Shamrock shouldve done a lil less show boating, and I also think Frank shouldve done a lil more to get it to the ground.

Shamrock Vs Lawler will be exciting, I think if Shamrock actually comes in with a logical gameplan he will take this.
e-thug is offline  
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
                     
JP Frank only sparred stand up with Cung since Cung was only San Shou at that time.

Frank hasn't trained with Cung's ground game.

I agree he would've had a better chance if he didn't play games however his best plan would've been taking him down and fighting on the ground.

Not playing to your strengths is a bad gameplan.
bbjd7 is offline  
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjd7 View Post
JP Frank only sparred stand up with Cung since Cung was only San Shou at that time.

Frank hasn't trained with Cung's ground game.

I agree he would've had a better chance if he didn't play games however his best plan would've been taking him down and fighting on the ground.

Not playing to your strengths is a bad gameplan.


I find it hard to beleive that in all that sparring with Cung that Frank and Cung never tested ground game.

But maybe you're right, and I have no proof to dispute your point so I'll concede to it.

I still think that Franks approach to the stand up game in not being aggressive was his fatal flaw.

But who knows. I'd like to see the rematch.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Punishment
 
The Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 5,360
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
I find it hard to beleive that in all that sparring with Cung that Frank and Cung never tested ground game.

But maybe you're right, and I have no proof to dispute your point so I'll concede to it.

I still think that Franks approach to the stand up game in not being aggressive was his fatal flaw.

But who knows. I'd like to see the rematch.
Hey J.P. since we're not sure the Tito/Frank fight is going to happen do you want to do a sig or avy bet on this one since it will most likely be confirmed after Robbie wins on saturday night?

[
The Legend is offline  
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Hey J.P. since we're not sure the Tito/Frank fight is going to happen do you want to do a sig or avy bet on this one since it will most likely be confirmed after Robbie wins on saturday night?


Yeah we can talk Shamrock - Lawler.

And you know we got to do Babalu - Ortiz if that one comes around.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Punishment
 
The Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 5,360
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Yeah we can talk Shamrock - Lawler.

And you know we got to do Babalu - Ortiz if that one comes around.
Yes we will have to talk on both.

[
The Legend is offline  
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymardo View Post
Frank shouldn't have stood with Cung Le, but he did so to try to beat Cung at his own game. Admirable, commendable, but not too smart.

Shamrock took the fight to Les' strength. You gotta' hand it to Frank. If he won (and he did do well) it would have been a BIG victory - beating Le in stand up.

WAR SHAMROCK
Don't get me wrong I think Frank pulls it out if the injury doesn't occur, but give Cung credit he showed excellen takedown defense making it dangerous for Frank to shoot.
tommyboy123 is offline  
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:08 AM
GKY
Bantamweight
 
GKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 962
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
I don't beleive that Frank was dumb for standing.

I beleive that once Frank was in the cage with Cung, the way he didn't push the pace or close the distance was really dumb.

He was putting on a show, he was joking and throwing a kick and than backing up into the center of the cage again.

He was not aggressive enough for Cung. I still beleive that his stand up is worthy of Cung if he didn't screw around with those antics.

He came to put on a show, not to fight. That was his dumb move.
The only 2 real fighters that will destroy Frank at MW are Silva and Vitor if he live up to his potential (which will probably never happen).

I don't see why anyone would give Robbie this fight, it's not like Franks chin is suspect.
GKY is offline  
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Even Vitor at his full potential would have a hell of a time with Frank.

Frank has good takedowns and is better on the ground than Vitor. On the feet Frank is very techinical and avoids damage well in fact he blocked too much damage against Cung and got his arm broken.

I don't think Vitor would have much a chance against Frank.
bbjd7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome