Frank Mir: ‘I dont have Fedor being in the top’ P4P MMA rankings - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
To me, "P4P"---as ambiguous as it may be---notes the ability of a fighter to go up and down in weight and remain successful. Who here is going to say that Fedor couldn't go down to LHW and beat everyone?
well to say that would be majorly speculating.

I'd say a lot of light heavyweights could class up and be successful without gaining an ounce.
69nites is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Fedor>all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 8,796
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
well to say that would be majorly speculating.

I'd say a lot of light heavyweights could class up and be successful without gaining an ounce.
Well, "pound for pound" is a term that refers to "major speculation" so I don't think it's entirely fallacious of me to...well... speculate lol.
Fedor>all is offline  
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
Well, "pound for pound" is a term that refers to "major speculation" so I don't think it's entirely fallacious of me to...well... speculate lol.
I'd be inclined to agree with you.
69nites is offline  
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
To me, "P4P"---as ambiguous as it may be---notes the ability of a fighter to go up and down in weight and remain successful.
So your definition pretty much contradicts the definition that the people who came up with pound for pound used.

Last edited by MLS; 08-04-2008 at 09:02 PM.
MLS is offline  
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Fedor>all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 8,796
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
So your definition pretty much contradicts the definition that the people who came up with pound for pound used.
Could you explain who came up with this term? I'd really like to know so I could RHK them
Fedor>all is offline  
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
69nites is offline  
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
Could you explain who came up with this term? I'd really like to know so I could RHK them
People came up with it to describe Sugar Ray Robinson. This is what I posted earlier here or in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Even the people who coined the term pound for pound knew that smaller fighters would rarely beat bigger fighters and this is why even though they knew that Sugar Ray Robinson could beat anyone at his weightclass he wouldn't be able to beat a top HW. But because he as a middleweight was still a better quality fighter than any fighter fighting at heavier or lighter weights than him, SRR was the pound for pound best fighter.
MLS is offline  
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Fedor>all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 8,796
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
People came up with it to describe Sugar Ray Robinson. This is what I posted earlier here or in another thread.
Thanks for providing that. I think it's going to be especially difficult with regard to MMA because there's simply so much to consider, not just the striking (which is the main focus of determining the best P4P boxer).

If we're looking at technique and sheer skills vs skills, I'd still wager that Fedor is ahead of the pack.
Fedor>all is offline  
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
Thanks for providing that. I think it's going to be especially difficult with regard to MMA because there's simply so much to consider, not just the striking (which is the main focus of determining the best P4P boxer).

If we're looking at technique and sheer skills vs skills, I'd still wager that Fedor is ahead of the pack.
when you're in the highest weight class you don't have to add the P4P. if you're the best you'd just be the best in the world.

well except that the skillset of heavyweights in MMA is very limited
69nites is offline  
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Bantamweight
 
Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 795
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
when you're in the highest weight class you don't have to add the P4P. if you're the best you'd just be the best in the world.

well except that the skillset of heavyweights in MMA is very limited
If that theory were even close to being true, I guess you would consider Butterbean or Hong Man Choi the best P4P world Just because you weigh more, doesn't make you a better fighter, or have the better fighters.

P4P in MMA is just too damn hard to call, there are way too many factors to put into place to decide an overall #1, #2, #3 etc. etc. One night, one fighters BJJ and takedowns might be on and could easily overwelm a striker, while the next fight that striker's TDD and striking skills could KTFO out of the grappler.

That's why in boxing it is much easier to declare a P4P King, simply because boxing doesn't have a vast amount of fightings styles to account for.



This Time ... Break It!

FFL Season 3: 11th Place
Quinton Jackson vs. TBA
Gesias Calvancante vs. TBA
Fabricio Werdum vs. TBA
Thales Leites vs. Anderson Silva

Sinister is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome