MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   General MMA Discussion (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/)
-   -   Tito Ortiz AFL bound? (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/43510-tito-ortiz-afl-bound.html)

The Legend 09-17-2008 01:36 PM

Tito Ortiz AFL bound?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMARATED
Tito Ortiz's UFC contract officially expired on August 4th. The next day, SI.com reported that Ortiz had signed a ground-breaking deal with Affliction. Several hours later, they changed the story to state that the former light heavyweight champion was on the verge of signing the contract. 43 days later, we still have no clue as to where and when Ortiz will fight next.

Every couple of days, Ortiz will pop up in some interview, insult Dana White, tell us he's been in this sport for eleven years and that it's finally time for him to get paid. Seriously, I know his speech off by heart at this point.

Recently, Ortiz was a guest on HDNet's "Inside MMA" and, once again, regurgitated the same song and dance about how he was ready to collect. However, when we spoke to Affliction COO, Michael D. Cohen, last month about Ortiz's demands, he flat out said that neither Affliction nor any other fight promotion will pay Ortiz what he wants.

I wonder if he was also referring to the American Fight League?

Recent reports have stated that Ortiz has been in negotiations with the fledgling promotion and, quite frankly, this is the only organization I can see paying Ortiz what he wants or at least close enough to it.

Believe it or not, the AFL is still actually planning on producing a pay-per-view event in November. We know this because they recently signed female star Tara LaRosa and former WWE champion, Bobby Lashley, to fight on this show. I actually had to check their website to find out when and where this show is taking place (November 8th at the UIC Center in Chicago, IL), but came up short when trying to find one(!) signed fight for that card.

Nice start. The fact that they haven't started promoting this event is scary enough but even more troublesome is the date they chose for two good reasons:

1) It's the same night as an EliteXC Showtime event and while - surprise - we don't know who will be fighting on that card it's hard for pay-per-view to compete with a free show especially when the free show features the more established brand.

2) It's seven days before what may go down as the highest-grossing PPV in MMA history: UFC 91. Something tells me fans will be saving their money for that one.

All that said, the AFL will need to do something to try and get our attention and their best bet lies in the form of Tito Ortiz because, given their bleak financial situations, I just can't envision EliteXC or Affliction breaking the bank for Ortiz. I also believe that the UFC dream is officially dead.

So, that leaves this upstart Kentucky-based promotion that we really know nothing about. Well, we do know that they are trying to develop the first MMA farm system which may sound like a good idea on paper but will never work in the same way the team concept didn't work for the IFL.

We've also learned that the AFL is currently seeking investors and have used Ortiz as a strong selling point in their pitch. AFL representatives have met with Ortiz several times in the last month (one time immediately following a meeting with the Fertittas) so they certainly are in the game.

"The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" claims we will learn his fate by the end of the month. You may not care at this point, but if you do, we think he's AFL-bound. That may get the MMA community talking for a day or two, but the AFL and Tito Ortiz will need a lot more than each other to remain relevant.

Source:http://mmarated.com/blogs/blog/20080...ound_-728.html

This better not be true!!!!! If it is then F*CK YOU TITO!!!!! I have been trying to convince people that you are not in it for the money but if you go to this chump organization than that just proves it. How can you pick the AFL over the UFC, EliteXC or Affliction?!


Edit: Guys please let it be known that I am not crazy I was just pissed off because I am pretty sure you guys don't want your favorite fighter to become irrelevant.

plazzman 09-17-2008 06:05 PM

Pretty chump move if it's true.

I mean, the dude has surely made atleast a mill or two off the UFC and countless endorsements, what more could he want? Plus, he's still an icon and very recognizable face in MMA, why does he constantly have to act like he's getting nickles and dimes everytime he fights?

What is he trying to support, a small village, or his already millionaire girlfriend? Or is his massive head taking up too much real estate?

Sorry, I love the guy, but he's being a little bitch right now.

Fedor>all 09-18-2008 03:34 PM

How can you like such a crappy fighter so much? He hasn't even got a winning personality, not to forget that he's been irrelevant for quite some time now. :dunno:

FactioNN 09-18-2008 03:41 PM

The guy made 900,000 dollars last time he fought in th UFC (I think thats correct). He should retire, he hasn't one a fight in a long ass time and is a bad ambassador for the sport.

The Legend 09-18-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedor>all (Post 663931)
How can you like such a crappy fighter so much? He hasn't even got a winning personality, not to forget that he's been irrelevant for quite some time now. :dunno:

So since his last two losses have been to top 5 fighters and one of them was ranked #1 and a ton of people think the other one it is only a matter of time before he claims #1 means he is a crappy fighter? And I don't think he is irrelevant yet(he will be if he signs with the AFL) because why was he getting all the attention from the fans when Machida was getting interviewed by Rogan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FactioNN (Post 663935)
The guy made 900,000 dollars last time he fought in th UFC (I think thats correct). He should retire, he hasn't one a fight in a long ass time and is a bad ambassador for the sport.

Tito doesn't make that much money, Liddell doesn't even make that much.

Fedor>all 09-18-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend (Post 663947)
So since his last two losses have been to top 5 fighters and one of them was ranked #1 and a ton of people think the other one it is only a matter of time before he claims #1 means he is a crappy fighter?

Okay, "crappy" was an overstatement. He's just "average", and will never hold a title in the UFC again because he's not that special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend (Post 663947)
And I don't think he is irrelevant yet(he will be if he signs with the AFL) because why was he getting all the attention from the fans when Machida was getting interviewed by Rogan?

Hmm lets see... a loudmouth big-head that was promoted as the face of the UFC (alongside Chuck Liddell) for 6 years versus a guy who can't speak English, has fought mostly on the preliminary cards, and is humble.

I wonder WHO the fans are going to recognize more? :confused03:

In the grand scheme of the LHW division, Tito is irrelevant.. for PPV he's not, but that won't win him a title.

Suizida 09-18-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plazzman (Post 663047)
Pretty chump move if it's true.

I mean, the dude has surely made atleast a mill or two off the UFC and countless endorsements, what more could he want? Plus, he's still an icon and very recognizable face in MMA, why does he constantly have to act like he's getting nickles and dimes everytime he fights?

What is he trying to support, a small village, or his already millionaire girlfriend? Or is his massive head taking up too much real estate?

Sorry, I love the guy, but he's being a little bitch right now.


According to Dana from an interview i heard, the year after his car crash, he made 6 MILLION...i feel bad for him, no-one giving him the money he deserves :confused03:

I also heard somewhere that he made 1 mil off the Machida fight...I assure u he has made a ****-load more than 1-2 mil dollars

Legend man, give it up, it's over....:(

jdun11 09-18-2008 08:12 PM

Im pretty sure if you asked Rashad Evans if he thought Tito was a crappy fighter he would strongly disagree.

The demise of Tito Ortiz is greatly exaggerated. He lost to Machida and Chuck, big deal. He beat Rashad for 13/15 minutes, beat Forrest. The guy may not be a top 5 fighter, but he is still an A level LHW.

Fedor>all 09-18-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdun11 (Post 664189)
Im pretty sure if you asked Rashad Evans if he thought Tito was a crappy fighter he would strongly disagree.

No, instead he'd be talking about how Paul Buentello's a better wrestler and faster than Tito. I really don't care for Rashad either, he's not that great of a fighter. The win over Chuck was impressive, but aside from that, he's really done nothing to suggest he's as good as some people think he is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdun11 (Post 664189)
The demise of Tito Ortiz is greatly exaggerated. He lost to Machida and Chuck, big deal. He beat Rashad for 13/15 minutes, beat Forrest. The guy may not be a top 5 fighter, but he is still an A level LHW.

Forrest Griffin is probably the biggest win in Tito Ortiz's career, and even then a lot of people dispute that decision. People say "Well he's only lost to great fighters" but they also fail to look at the reverse point---that he's never beaten any great fighters either.

M.C 09-18-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedor>all (Post 664275)
People say "Well he's only lost to great fighters" but they also fail to look at the reverse point---that he's never beaten any great fighters either.

The man defeated Ken Shamrock when he was sporting sideburns, how can you say that?

Tito is a good fighter. He will never hold a UFC title again and he will never be considered as one of the greats ever again, but he is a quality fighter with a nice resume(kind of).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2