Is the Kimbo hype REALLY dead?. - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Robbsville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny, sunny Scotland.
Posts: 163
Robbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enoughRobbsville will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
He does have a family to support btw, he is doing what he has to, to pay the bills you know.
Which is all very respectable, doing what he does. It's not that I dislike Kimbo because I don't it's just that he's not as good as so many people make him out to be, and that Elite have not exactly been putting him up against straight up fighters. I think every one just wanted to see what would happen when he was put up against someone with skills. Now, luck? No the fight wasn't lucky Seth was full of confidence before the fight and went out there and did what he did and I honestly think right now that if there was a rematch Kimbo would loose again.
Robbsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Judoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,379
Judoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Kimbo isn't that bad but he is hated by most knowledge MMA fans because a lot of people think Kimbo is easily the best fighter ever known to mankind.
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
 
The Lone Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere between Hell and Earth
Posts: 1,569
The Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of Knowledge
I have 2 reasons for disliking Kimbo;

1. The amount of hype that Elite has put on this guy as being an MMA phenomenon, making him out to be one of the worlds greatest fighters is, to any knowledgable MMA fan, a total farce.

2. Having a thug who is proud to have streetfights broadcast on the internet is not good for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts. This is the kind of behaviour we try so hard to distance from MMA, and yet here he is, claiming to be a Mixed Martial Artist because he's smashed a few heads on the streets.

He doesnt possess the skillsets to call himself a Mixed Martial Artist.

Last edited by The Lone Wolf : 10-06-2008 at 10:46 AM.
The Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Kimbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Kimbo Slice has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Kimbo RulZ , not for 1 lose he is gone !
sure he will return stronger
Kimbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 158
Maximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A HugMaximus Needs A Hug
Simply put, Kimbo got caught. I still like him as a fighter, and wouldn't mind seeing a re-match with Seth. Kimbo probably is no loger main-event worthy right now, but that's cool. I think that people forget that this was his 4th fight. Bas has acknowledged that Kimbo is still truly an inexperienced fighter in the MMA game. But, if someone offers you 6 figures to do your current job instead of to the more qualified & experienced people at your job, would you turn it down? Kimbo still has 2 or 3 fights left on his EXC contract (I think) so there's still some good match ups left for him. He can re-match Seth, still fight Ken Shamrock, and if he gets past those 2, fight Brett Rogers. Let's be real. Kimbo was NOT signed to make EXC a more credible MMA organization - they already have solid fighters for that. Kimbo was signed by Gary Shaw to draw more viewership and lend more "star power" in selling EXC. Even if Kimbo hadn't been on the card, I would have watched the show. But the kid that just got into MMA because of Kimbo back in May probably would not have. The UFC can afford to satisfy hardcore fans at the risk of offending casual fans, EXC cannot.

The other thing that I think that folks forget is that EXC is NOT on CBS for hardcore fans. They're on there to get ratings and pull in the "casual MMA fan demographic." They still have a business to run, and they're perfectly fine with catering to the casual fans on network TV and playing to the hardcore fans on Showtime. If they wanted hardcore fans happy Saturday night, they would've put Arlovski or Nelson in the cage with Kimbo, or Cyborg would've fought Carano, or Jake Shields would've headlined.
__________________
My favorite fighters of all time:

Randy Couture
Ken Shamrock
Rickson Gracie
Matt Hughes
Rampage Jackson
Chuck Liddell
Fedor Emelianenko

Last edited by Maximus : 10-06-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
yellow_fever has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
Just because he lost, and he loses fans.. then those fans are just bandwagoner's. I still like Kimbo, from his Internet fights to his MMA fights. He is a good fighter, he lost that fight because the other guy got lucky and had nothing to lose.

No disrespect to Kimbo as a person, but if he's a "good fighter" then Houston Alexander could last 1.5 rounds with Fedor.


I'm sorry, he may be a nice guy and tries real hard, but regardless of taking a fight last minute or not, if he's been training as hard as he claims for the past few months, he would not have been that sloppy, if he did train that hard and this happens, he should think long and hard about his career choice and you can't compare GSP vs. Serra, GSP got caught by an actual punch, not an off balance jab and GSP is actually good. If not for public perception, Seth would've been heavily favoured for this fight.

It kills me to hear people say he's a good fighter, he's no more than a houston alexander with crappier striking. I remember Dana saying B.J. Penn would beat Kimbo, B.J. would absoloutely maul him... B.J. Penn??? Man, Andy Wang would K.O him by the second round.
yellow_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
rockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Simply put, Kimbo got caught. I still like him as a fighter, and wouldn't mind seeing a re-match with Seth. Kimbo probably is no loger main-event worthy right now, but that's cool. I think that people forget that this was his 4th fight. Bas has acknowledged that Kimbo is still truly an inexperienced fighter in the MMA game. But, if someone offers you 6 figures to do your current job instead of to the more qualified & experienced people at your job, would you turn it down? Kimbo still has 2 or 3 fights left on his EXC contract (I think) so there's still some good match ups left for him. He can re-match Seth, still fight Ken Shamrock, and if he gets past those 2, fight Brett Rogers. Let's be real. Kimbo was NOT signed to make EXC a more credible MMA organization - they already have solid fighters for that. Kimbo was signed by Gary Shaw to draw more viewership and lend more "star power" in selling EXC. Even if Kimbo hadn't been on the card, I would have watched the show. But the kid that just got into MMA because of Kimbo back in May probably would not have. The UFC can afford to satisfy hardcore fans at the risk of offending casual fans, EXC cannot.

The other thing that I think that folks forget is that EXC is NOT on CBS for hardcore fans. They're on there to get ratings and pull in the "casual MMA fan demographic." They still have a business to run, and they're perfectly fine with catering to the casual fans on network TV and playing to the hardcore fans on Showtime. If they wanted hardcore fans happy Saturday night, they would've put Arlovski or Nelson in the cage with Kimbo, or Cyborg would've fought Carano, or Jake Shields would've headlined.
Elite XC will not rematch the fight. It will get the same results. Kimbo can't beat a descent fighter. They are not going to put him in against Rogers, because Rogers will destroy him. Hell Shields would beat him, maybe Cyborg too (ok that might be stretch, but Shields would definitely make Kimbo tap). The bottom line is that there isn't a fighter out there with a halfway descent record or descent skills that Kimbo can beat. That's why they are going to keep finding these old guys who can't fight anymore, like Ken Shamrock. Obviously they are not going to put him in against a good heavyweight like Arlovski, unless he agrees to have 1 arm tied behind his back and isn't allowed to kick. Actually I think I would still go with Arlovski on that one.
rockybalboa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
ShadyNismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HoLLyW00d, FL
Posts: 1,532
ShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For GreatnessShadyNismo Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybalboa25 View Post
I think the reason people don't like Kimbo is because he's not a talented fighter. He has no ground skills, and he doesn't have good boxing skills. He proved against Thompson that he really doesn't have that much power either. I guess the reason most real mma fans dislike Kimbo is because of his being promoted as a real mixed martial artist. Honestly I can't think of a heavyweight or LHW that has a descent record that he could beat. I don't think Elite XC will make a rematch, because the result won't change. So who will he fight besides a bunch of bums? He might as well go back to youtube.
K, you say his boxing skill isn't good, I have to disagree I think his boxing is fine and he is training wit Bas. Hes ground game sucks, true I agree with that comment 100% but lets look at Brock Lesnar his good at wrestling but no submissions whatsoever( Vs Herring ) but people seem not to care about that? So most mma fans dislike Kimbo because EliteXC is promoting him like crazy because he draws in the people? Then the fans should hate the company and not the fighter, because at the end of the day its the company that does the promoting, and not the fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsville View Post
Which is all very respectable, doing what he does. It's not that I dislike Kimbo because I don't it's just that he's not as good as so many people make him out to be, and that Elite have not exactly been putting him up against straight up fighters. I think every one just wanted to see what would happen when he was put up against someone with skills. Now, luck? No the fight wasn't lucky Seth was full of confidence before the fight and went out there and did what he did and I honestly think right now that if there was a rematch Kimbo would loose again.
From what I just read in ur statement, EliteXC hasn't put anyone decent against Kimbo, and people think his good. Then shouldn't the people hate on EliteXC for choosing the opponents and not Kimbo, he is just a fighter. As Kimbo said he will fighter ANYONE at ANYTIME, so I don't think he should be the person to be blamed. Now the luck issue, bro this seth guy was a no namer atleast my opinion, when I heard the silverback I was like who the f--- is that. He had nothing to lose because the UFC already dismissed him. When he had the chance to fight Kimbo and is able to give Kimbo his first loss ever, he looked at it like a given 1 out of a lifetime chance, knew if he won he will be famous. the last comment you said if they fight again Kimbo will lose.. So does that mean if Kimbo won this fight against Seth then u would've been respecting him by now and not saying he will lose again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
Kimbo isn't that bad but he is hated by most knowledge MMA fans because a lot of people think Kimbo is easily the best fighter ever known to mankind.
Shouldn't the Real MMA fans hate the people that thinks that and not Kimbo the fighter because he has no control what the fan thinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Wolf View Post
I have 2 reasons for disliking Kimbo;

1. The amount of hype that Elite has put on this guy as being an MMA phenomenon, making him out to be one of the worlds greatest fighters is, to any knowledgable MMA fan, a total farce.

2. Having a thug who is proud to have streetfights broadcast on the internet is not good for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts. This is the kind of behaviour we try so hard to distance from MMA, and yet here he is, claiming to be a Mixed Martial Artist because he's smashed a few heads on the streets.

He doesnt possess the skillsets to call himself a Mixed Martial Artist.
1. Like I been stating, then hate the company promoting him, Kimbo has no control how the company wants to promote him, the company wants money, and if saying he is the best fighter will draw fans to watch then so be it. That is no reason to hate Kimbo for it.
2. He did the street fighting for money, we don't know what he went through, he prolly needed the money. Before we judge we must understand the situation, if he fought for free in those fights then so be it ur right is just a no good street fighter. He has cleaned up his act from the street and been training wit Bas to become a good MMA fighter, because he loves this sport.
So being 1 dimenional he shouldn't be a Mixed Martial Artist? Not hating on Matt Hughes but he is only good on the ground, so ur comment applies to Hughes as well? and Sherk who is also only good on the ground and he can't even submit his opponent and again just using examples due to ur comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_fever View Post
No disrespect to Kimbo as a person, but if he's a "good fighter" then Houston Alexander could last 1.5 rounds with Fedor.


I'm sorry, he may be a nice guy and tries real hard, but regardless of taking a fight last minute or not, if he's been training as hard as he claims for the past few months, he would not have been that sloppy, if he did train that hard and this happens, he should think long and hard about his career choice and you can't compare GSP vs. Serra, GSP got caught by an actual punch, not an off balance jab and GSP is actually good. If not for public perception, Seth would've been heavily favoured for this fight.

It kills me to hear people say he's a good fighter, he's no more than a houston alexander with crappier striking. I remember Dana saying B.J. Penn would beat Kimbo, B.J. would absoloutely maul him... B.J. Penn??? Man, Andy Wang would K.O him by the second round.

Andy wang... that must be a joke, but anways lets get to the point, so u use Houston as an example, that is fine except Houston actually fighting big names like Wand... and Houston lost like 3 times in a row? still hasn't learned his lesson? Idiot he is. Kimbo just lost his first MMA fight, so he just learning from this mistake and to me atleast Seth is a no namer, so Kimbo didn't think much of him and thought he was gonna be scared during the fight. Kimbo was wrong and took Seth lightly, and Seth just took him out within 14seconds now if the fight went into the 2nd round and Seth TKO'd Kimbo then I will say Seth won it and it wasn't by luck.
This is all my opinion and how I look on this issue.
__________________
Fav. Fighters

1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Anderson Silva


"If Your Not Cheatin, Your Not Tryin Hard Enough" Tito Ortiz
Forum Bets
54-15

Last edited by ShadyNismo : 10-06-2008 at 03:53 PM.
ShadyNismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
 
The Lone Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere between Hell and Earth
Posts: 1,569
The Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Lone Wolf Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
K, you say his boxing skill isn't good, I have to disagree I think his boxing is fine and he is training wit Bas. Hes ground game sucks, true I agree with that comment 100% but lets look at Brock Lesnar his good at wrestling but no submissions whatsoever( Vs Herring ) but people seem not to care about that? So most mma fans dislike Kimbo because EliteXC is promoting him like crazy because he draws in the people? Then the fans should hate the company and not the fighter, because at the end of the day its the company that does the promoting, and not the fighter.



From what I just read in ur statement, EliteXC hasn't put anyone decent against Kimbo, and people think his good. Then shouldn't the people hate on EliteXC for choosing the opponents and not Kimbo, he is just a fighter. As Kimbo said he will fighter ANYONE at ANYTIME, so I don't think he should be the person to be blamed. Now the luck issue, bro this seth guy was a no namer atleast my opinion, when I heard the silverback I was like who the f--- is that. He had nothing to lose because the UFC already dismissed him. When he had the chance to fight Kimbo and is able to give Kimbo his first loss ever, he looked at it like a given 1 out of a lifetime chance, knew if he won he will be famous. the last comment you said if they fight again Kimbo will lose.. So does that mean if Kimbo won this fight against Seth then u would've been respecting him by now and not saying he will lose again?



Shouldn't the Real MMA fans hate the people that thinks that and not Kimbo the fighter because he has no control what the fan thinks?



1. Like I been stating, then hate the company promoting him, Kimbo has no control how the company wants to promote him, the company wants money, and if saying he is the best fighter will draw fans to watch then so be it. That is no reason to hate Kimbo for it.
2. He did the street fighting for money, we don't know what he went through, he prolly needed the money. Before we judge we must understand the situation, if he fought for free in those fights then so be it ur right is just a no good street fighter. He has cleaned up his act from the street and been training wit Bas to become a good MMA fighter, because he loves this sport.
So being 1 dimenional he shouldn't be a Mixed Martial Artist? Not hating on Matt Hughes but he is only good on the ground, so ur comment applies to Hughes as well? and Sherk who is also only good on the ground and he can't even submit his opponent and again just using examples due to ur comment.




Andy wang... that must be a joke, but anways lets get to the point, so u use Houston as an example, that is fine except Houston actually fighting big names like Wand... and Houston lost like 3 times in a row? still hasn't learned his lesson? Idiot he is. Kimbo just lost his first MMA fight, so he just learning from this mistake and to me atleast Seth is a no namer, so Kimbo didn't think much of him and thought he was gonna be scared during the fight. Kimbo was wrong and took Seth lightly, and Seth just took him out within 14seconds now if the fight went into the 2nd round and Seth TKO'd Kimbo then I will say Seth won it and it wasn't by luck.
This is all my opinion and how I look on this issue.
wow! I think someone has a picture of Kimbo next to his bed that he kisses before he goes to sleep. . .
The Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rangers rule
 
MalkyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 2,330
Blog Entries: 3
MalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For GreatnessMalkyBoy Is Destined For Greatness
The Kimbo hype wont die not yet, every fighter loses at some point and most have been caught.

If it happens again then the hype will die so fast. You get one free pass in MMA
__________________


Thanks to Plazz for the awesome sig

http://www.mmaforum.com/hall-fame/47...-plazzman.html

Show him respect
MalkyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios