Is the Kimbo hype REALLY dead?. - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
K, you say his boxing skill isn't good, I have to disagree I think his boxing is fine and he is training wit Bas. Hes ground game sucks, true I agree with that comment 100% but lets look at Brock Lesnar his good at wrestling but no submissions whatsoever( Vs Herring ) but people seem not to care about that? So most mma fans dislike Kimbo because EliteXC is promoting him like crazy because he draws in the people? Then the fans should hate the company and not the fighter, because at the end of the day its the company that does the promoting, and not the fighter.
Kimbo's boxing is terrible. I have more boxing skill than Kimbo. He has no professional or amateur experience. He throws wide haymakers that leaves him easily open to counters. His technique is terrible, and it is easy to tell that he has no formal boxing training. I know that you didn't bring up the Kimbo vs Brock argument. Brock would destroy Kimbo. He has better wrestling, more power in his punches, and his striking might even be better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
From what I just read in ur statement, EliteXC hasn't put anyone decent against Kimbo, and people think his good. Then shouldn't the people hate on EliteXC for choosing the opponents and not Kimbo, he is just a fighter. As Kimbo said he will fighter ANYONE at ANYTIME, so I don't think he should be the person to be blamed. Now the luck issue, bro this seth guy was a no namer atleast my opinion, when I heard the silverback I was like who the f--- is that. He had nothing to lose because the UFC already dismissed him. When he had the chance to fight Kimbo and is able to give Kimbo his first loss ever, he looked at it like a given 1 out of a lifetime chance, knew if he won he will be famous. the last comment you said if they fight again Kimbo will lose.. So does that mean if Kimbo won this fight against Seth then u would've been respecting him by now and not saying he will lose again?
Kimbo will fight anyone anywhere? Really then why did Elite XC have to pay him an extra $50,000 to fight petruzelli? He refused the fight at first. Seth did have something to lose, self-respect. How could he respect himself as a fighter after losing to a talentless fighter like Kimbo? I don't think Silverback will be famous. As soon as he fights a mid level talent, he'll lose. Frank Shamrock even said he expected Kimbo to lose this fight. It wasn't a shock to all of us that know that Kimbo's game has more holes than Swiss cheese.






Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
So being 1 dimenional he shouldn't be a Mixed Martial Artist? Not hating on Matt Hughes but he is only good on the ground, so ur comment applies to Hughes as well? and Sherk who is also only good on the ground and he can't even submit his opponent and again just using examples due to ur comment.
Both Matt Hughes and Sean Sherk have better stand up skills than Kimbo. They use their striking to take fights to the gound, but they do have good technical striking.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
Andy wang... that must be a joke, but anways lets get to the point, so u use Houston as an example, that is fine except Houston actually fighting big names like Wand... and Houston lost like 3 times in a row? still hasn't learned his lesson? Idiot he is. Kimbo just lost his first MMA fight, so he just learning from this mistake and to me atleast Seth is a no namer, so Kimbo didn't think much of him and thought he was gonna be scared during the fight. Kimbo was wrong and took Seth lightly, and Seth just took him out within 14seconds now if the fight went into the 2nd round and Seth TKO'd Kimbo then I will say Seth won it and it wasn't by luck.
This is all my opinion and how I look on this issue.
First I'm not completely convinced that Wang couldn't take Kimbo. Wang is a BJJ blackbelt. It would be close but I think Wang could catch him in a submission. I do agree with Dana White that BJ Penn would submit Kimbo. Oh and Kimbo agreed on mma live. Kimbo was the one who was scared to take the fight. He had to be given a lot more money to agree to the fight, so I don't think he took him lightly. If he think Kimbo is redeemable as a fighter, could you name one fighter at HW or LHW that has descent skills that Kimbo could beat? It's not just fans that think Kimbo is a bum by the way: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
rockybalboa25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
Just because he lost, and he loses fans.. then those fans are just bandwagoner's. I still like Kimbo, from his Internet fights to his MMA fights. He is a good fighter, he lost that fight because the other guy got lucky and had nothing to lose.
you're aware that Seth has a more distinguished career and was a higher ranked heavyweight prior to the fight right?

Seth had places to drop in the heavyweight rankings. he didn't get lucky he picked apart kimbo's brawling style the way any decent striker will. Kimbo practically knocked himself out.

all kimbo does is box. There's a reason he doesn't do it professionally. He sucks at it. Hell he wouldn't even do well as an amateur boxer...
69nites is offline  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Lightweight
 
ShadyNismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HoLLyW00d, FL
Posts: 1,532
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybalboa25 View Post
Kimbo's boxing is terrible. I have more boxing skill than Kimbo. He has no professional or amateur experience. He throws wide haymakers that leaves him easily open to counters. His technique is terrible, and it is easy to tell that he has no formal boxing training. I know that you didn't bring up the Kimbo vs Brock argument. Brock would destroy Kimbo. He has better wrestling, more power in his punches, and his striking might even be better.



Kimbo will fight anyone anywhere? Really then why did Elite XC have to pay him an extra $50,000 to fight petruzelli? He refused the fight at first. Seth did have something to lose, self-respect. How could he respect himself as a fighter after losing to a talentless fighter like Kimbo? I don't think Silverback will be famous. As soon as he fights a mid level talent, he'll lose. Frank Shamrock even said he expected Kimbo to lose this fight. It wasn't a shock to all of us that know that Kimbo's game has more holes than Swiss cheese.






Both Matt Hughes and Sean Sherk have better stand up skills than Kimbo. They use their striking to take fights to the gound, but they do have good technical striking.




First I'm not completely convinced that Wang couldn't take Kimbo. Wang is a BJJ blackbelt. It would be close but I think Wang could catch him in a submission. I do agree with Dana White that BJ Penn would submit Kimbo. Oh and Kimbo agreed on mma live. Kimbo was the one who was scared to take the fight. He had to be given a lot more money to agree to the fight, so I don't think he took him lightly. If he think Kimbo is redeemable as a fighter, could you name one fighter at HW or LHW that has descent skills that Kimbo could beat? It's not just fans that think Kimbo is a bum by the way: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
On the boxing issue, we have different opinions, and on the striking power that is the same.
I'm just stating what Kimbo said when he said he will fight ANYONE at ANYTIME. No I didn't know they offered Kimbo 50k more, and the self-respect part.. why bother to fight someone if by winning ur not gaining anything from it?
The comparison on Hughes Sherk Vs Kimbo striking is also opinions. On TUF Wang seems like he doesn't go with his game plan which is taking it to the ground, so I strongly doubt he will win vs Kimbo, again its opinions here. Kimbo wasn't suppose to fight Seth, he prolly just wanted some more cash from it, and they offered 50k more.(My guess) Bj Penn is a beast, a champion.. lol pointless discussion there because they aren't in the same division. When I say his a good fighter that don't mean anything like top 10 or anything like that. He is a good fighter with a great future in this career imo. Also the Yahoo link... man... Journalist.. Look at O'reily trying to make the MMA sport look like crap by talking shit about the UFC, and the fighting.. their talk is just another opinion, that means nothing to me. at the end, bro we have different opinions and I appreciate u expressing the way u think, I'm just giving Kimbo a benefit of a doubt that in the future he will be able to become one of the best, as long as he trains hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
you're aware that Seth has a more distinguished career and was a higher ranked heavyweight prior to the fight right?

Seth had places to drop in the heavyweight rankings. he didn't get lucky he picked apart kimbo's brawling style the way any decent striker will. Kimbo practically knocked himself out.

all kimbo does is box. There's a reason he doesn't do it professionally. He sucks at it. Hell he wouldn't even do well as an amateur boxer...
No I didn't know that, He was suppose to fight in a LHW bout that night, and being in the pre-limerys thought that ment he wasn't a big name. We all have different opinions.

Fav. Fighters

1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Anderson Silva


"If Your Not Cheatin, Your Not Tryin Hard Enough" Tito Ortiz
Forum Bets
54-15
ShadyNismo is offline  
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Amateur
 
Entity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 185
           
I doubt the hype train is done, though I'm sure it'll slow down. People will always be ready to eat whatever they're spoon fed.
Entity is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyNismo View Post
On the boxing issue, we have different opinions, and on the striking power that is the same.
I'm just stating what Kimbo said when he said he will fight ANYONE at ANYTIME. No I didn't know they offered Kimbo 50k more, and the self-respect part.. why bother to fight someone if by winning ur not gaining anything from it?
The comparison on Hughes Sherk Vs Kimbo striking is also opinions. On TUF Wang seems like he doesn't go with his game plan which is taking it to the ground, so I strongly doubt he will win vs Kimbo, again its opinions here. Kimbo wasn't suppose to fight Seth, he prolly just wanted some more cash from it, and they offered 50k more.(My guess) Bj Penn is a beast, a champion.. lol pointless discussion there because they aren't in the same division. When I say his a good fighter that don't mean anything like top 10 or anything like that. He is a good fighter with a great future in this career imo. Also the Yahoo link... man... Journalist.. Look at O'reily trying to make the MMA sport look like crap by talking shit about the UFC, and the fighting.. their talk is just another opinion, that means nothing to me. at the end, bro we have different opinions and I appreciate u expressing the way u think, I'm just giving Kimbo a benefit of a doubt that in the future he will be able to become one of the best, as long as he trains hard.



No I didn't know that, He was suppose to fight in a LHW bout that night, and being in the pre-limerys thought that ment he wasn't a big name. We all have different opinions.
that's not really a matter of opinion.

Kimbo leads with his chin and drops his left hand.

Bas Rutten said that Kimbo JUST learned to breath while punching prior to this fight. That's the stuff you learn first. I mean we're talking day one stuff here.
69nites is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
that's not really a matter of opinion.

Kimbo leads with his chin and drops his left hand.

Bas Rutten said that Kimbo JUST learned to breath while punching prior to this fight. That's the stuff you learn first. I mean we're talking day one stuff here.
Exactly... if he just learned to breath as he's punching since his fight against thompson, he should just go to WWE where he can make good money and still have that scary persona...

I used Andy Wang as an example for someone beating kimbo because I know Andy is a douche and should go for takedowns, but I honestly think he could outstrike Kimbo...
yellow_fever is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
         
He has not put on one entertaining fight yet. His fights have been the equivalent of a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. A complete joke. He may have a better chance against a light weight.....or maybe not...go fight some more homeless crack heads on you tube
nicknj53 is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Dana white was not joking about BJ Penn being able to beat Kimbo.
69nites is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Middleweight
 
Steph05050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,898
Blog Entries: 5
                     
i hope the hype is dead...he is not a mma fighter he is just some youtube street brawler who got lucky
Steph05050 is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Featherweight
 
mmawrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles by way of Vancouver
Posts: 1,439
                     
After the fight was over, the commentators were making it sound like Kimbo has been the dominant champ for years, and Seth was a huge underdog, I think if they fough again Seth would win again

mmawrestler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome