Unknown Fighting Disciplines - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sexy as F
 
Evil Ira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tyne and Wear, UK
Posts: 2,044
Evil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By All
Jujutsu was often used in Japan a couple of centuries ago, and was used by the Japanese Samurai (I think). I think it also contributed to the creation of original Jujitsu (not modern Jiu-Jitsu, but a martial art focused on street fighting, focusing on fatal body parts). But the original Martial Art of Jujutsu is still practised today, but is not as popular, and often forgotten about.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ira View Post
Top Five Ways to paper cut your balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by name goes here View Post
4 trying to teach your willy to read
Evil Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Servatose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 956
Servatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ira View Post
Jujutsu was often used in Japan a couple of centuries ago, and was used by the Japanese Samurai (I think). I think it also contributed to the creation of original Jujitsu (not modern Jiu-Jitsu, but a martial art focused on street fighting, focusing on fatal body parts). But the original Martial Art of Jujutsu is still practised today, but is not as popular, and often forgotten about.
I beg to differ. But before I do so, I'd like to acknowledge the statement from SSD regarding open-hand strikes and various styles not necessarily being relevant in MMA due to regulations. Most martial arts are designed to kill, therefore only select techniques become applicable to competitive fighting. Very solid post, and you have a great point.

Now, on to Ira's post. Brazilian Jujitsu was adopted from Japanese Jujitsu. Helio Gracie was taught Jujitsu by a Japanese-Brazilian immigrant. Japanese Jujitsu is essentially the father of BJJ. And from what I understand about Japanese Jujitsu, is that it essentially translates into MMA. Japanese Jujitsu was created under the philosophy of incorporating all martial arts into one effective style; essentially what we call MMA now. However, the main difference with Japanese Jujitsu is that it also has many stand-up techniques, grabbing the trachea and dislodging it, for example that are simply illegal in a sport, however Judo is also an off-spring of Japanese Jujitsu. A lot of its techniques are throws, joint locks, and various other methods of manipulating your opponent's strength and momentum. I just thought I'd leave you with some info, as it's a particular subject I'm somewhat familiar with.
Servatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Sexy as F
 
Evil Ira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tyne and Wear, UK
Posts: 2,044
Evil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By AllEvil Ira Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servatose View Post
I beg to differ. But before I do so, I'd like to acknowledge the statement from SSD regarding open-hand strikes and various styles not necessarily being relevant in MMA due to regulations. Most martial arts are designed to kill, therefore only select techniques become applicable to competitive fighting. Very solid post, and you have a great point.

Now, on to Ira's post. Brazilian Jujitsu was adopted from Japanese Jujitsu. Helio Gracie was taught Jujitsu by a Japanese-Brazilian immigrant. Japanese Jujitsu is essentially the father of BJJ. And from what I understand about Japanese Jujitsu, is that it essentially translates into MMA. Japanese Jujitsu was created under the philosophy of incorporating all martial arts into one effective style; essentially what we call MMA now. However, the main difference with Japanese Jujitsu is that it also has many stand-up techniques, grabbing the trachea and dislodging it, for example that are simply illegal in a sport, however Judo is also an off-spring of Japanese Jujitsu. A lot of its techniques are throws, joint locks, and various other methods of manipulating your opponent's strength and momentum. I just thought I'd leave you with some info, as it's a particular subject I'm somewhat familiar with.
I've only dabbled briefly with the origins and history, so my knowledge on the subject might be a little sloppy.

So from what I have gathered from your post as Japanese Jujitsu was a root of Judo, and Judo was a root of modern Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. So each adaptation has become somewhat more mild?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ira View Post
Top Five Ways to paper cut your balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by name goes here View Post
4 trying to teach your willy to read
Evil Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Servatose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 956
Servatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level now
From what I'm aware of, both Judo and BJJ originated from Japanese Jujitsu. Which was also what the Samurai trained in.
Servatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: katy tx
Posts: 772
Fedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud ofFedornumber1! has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_america View Post
the forbidden technique called SAFTA
Shhhhh, we were supposed to forget about that.
Fedornumber1! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios