Best For Self Defense - Page 8 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 02-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
The main problem is in "real life" no one is going to warn you or follow the rules. You can get attached at anytime.
You can be bitten, kicked on the ground, etc...
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #72 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
kds13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 5,148
Blog Entries: 11
kds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level now
the best thing for self defense is to not put yourself in bad situations where you may be in danger. and if you are, get the hell out of there.

second best for self defense is to fight as dirty as humanly possible. knee someone in the balls, spit, bite, pull hair, head butt. whatever it takes. if you're attacked, the only thing that matters is breaking loose and getting away.
__________________
kds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #73 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
DSGhST07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Any martial art is good for a street fight because the average guy is gonna throw a bunch of punches and wild hooks, try to grab you and keep hitting you, or pin you down. Thats how like 80% of the fights go, the other 20 with either using a weapon or jumping you. Even if you take up boxing your good because you actually know how to throw punches, unlike these thugs who think they are nasty fighters because they are mad and listen to rap.
DSGhST07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #74 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Bolarbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hi everyone!!Been reading for a while, couldnt pass up on adding to this one

That last quote is absolute bollocks,that any martial artist could beat a thug street fighter...
As has been said before, humans are animals, its instinct that we fight, it comes naturally to us, you are deluding yourself if you think you can take up any tma/mma and take on these thugs...
Thugs are thugs, because they live like thugs day in day out, which is almost equivalent to sparring in a tough gym(area and gang dependant) day in day out. They know how to survive and they are willing to fight to survive so learning some commercialised form of tma(i.e. one with belts) will just give you a deluded form of confidence. No matter what you train it all depends on 3main things;
1. Your trainer/teacher if their no good you've lost before you've even been confronted
2. Your attitude to your training, if you dont have a respect for what your doing and the reason your doing it, then whats the point? Again your deluding yourself.
3. Conditioning and training hard, everytime I train, I train as if I'm in the ring with an opponent, there are days where I lose focus so I go home to regain it before retraining.

I live in a pretty rough city,it aint no bronx but its pretty rough, everytime I'm confronted I have to respect this guy might be a trained fighter with a sh*ty attitude so no lazy punches no fancy sh*t, if there are several opponents then its smash and run.

I appreciate these grading styles for what they are and what they are meant to muster, but I dont respect them,you give give a guy a black belt and you give him a deluded confidence that he can take on the world.

Dont train for self defence, train to attack and run, I train Muay Thai,Muay Boran,BJJ,and wrestling,MMA. I'm also a black belt in shotokan karate(utterly pointless other than it kept me suptle and fit).

I would never train within a grading system again.
Bolarbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #75 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Zemelya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 556
Zemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enoughZemelya will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGhST07 View Post
Any martial art is good for a street fight because the average guy is gonna throw a bunch of punches and wild hooks, try to grab you and keep hitting you, or pin you down. Thats how like 80% of the fights go, the other 20 with either using a weapon or jumping you. Even if you take up boxing your good because you actually know how to throw punches, unlike these thugs who think they are nasty fighters because they are mad and listen to rap.
Agree 100%...
Also the main part of self defense is being aware of surroundings - doesn't mean you should become the guy who constantly looking around with crazy look, it of course takes time to train your brain to notice things. Say your come to a party - you notice who's aggressive looking/acting
and try not to turn your back to them.
Boxing is very good as far as my experience - nothing discourages attackers like one punch KO. Comparing to boxer average people cant punch at all. there are arts with more discouraging moves of course like Muay Thai, Krav Maga or Systema.
Zemelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #76 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
DSGhST07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolarbag View Post
Hi everyone!!Been reading for a while, couldnt pass up on adding to this one

That last quote is absolute bollocks,that any martial artist could beat a thug street fighter...
As has been said before, humans are animals, its instinct that we fight, it comes naturally to us, you are deluding yourself if you think you can take up any tma/mma and take on these thugs...
Thugs are thugs, because they live like thugs day in day out, which is almost equivalent to sparring in a tough gym(area and gang dependant) day in day out. They know how to survive and they are willing to fight to survive so learning some commercialised form of tma(i.e. one with belts) will just give you a deluded form of confidence. No matter what you train it all depends on 3main things;
1. Your trainer/teacher if their no good you've lost before you've even been confronted
2. Your attitude to your training, if you dont have a respect for what your doing and the reason your doing it, then whats the point? Again your deluding yourself.
3. Conditioning and training hard, everytime I train, I train as if I'm in the ring with an opponent, there are days where I lose focus so I go home to regain it before retraining.

I live in a pretty rough city,it aint no bronx but its pretty rough, everytime I'm confronted I have to respect this guy might be a trained fighter with a sh*ty attitude so no lazy punches no fancy sh*t, if there are several opponents then its smash and run.

I appreciate these grading styles for what they are and what they are meant to muster, but I dont respect them,you give give a guy a black belt and you give him a deluded confidence that he can take on the world.

Dont train for self defence, train to attack and run, I train Muay Thai,Muay Boran,BJJ,and wrestling,MMA. I'm also a black belt in shotokan karate(utterly pointless other than it kept me suptle and fit).

I would never train within a grading system again.
First off you really must not know much about thugs. Being a thug doesn't mean they go out and fight everyday for a living to survive. They do it because they choose to do it, they wanna be bad just like there favorite rappers. I live in Bridgeport, CT so I would know. "Thugs" fight off of instinct, so ok, whats the point of taking martial arts if instincts are better then being TRAINED HOW TO FIGHT? Being TRAINED TO FIGHT and THINKING YOU CAN FIGHT are 2 different things. Therefore you lost automatically. Second, if you take allll those martial arts like you claim you do, why bother posting what you did, because after your last sentence you just made whatever you said above not valid. "I will never take a grading system"..yet you take BJJ? Your a black belt in Shotokan yet think its useless, yet you stood there long enough to get a black belt which takes a couple years of hard training. Therefore you didnt think it was useless. Seriously, don't critize what I said if your gonna come up with all of that crap, and then acting like your Tony Jaa at the end of it.
DSGhST07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned
 
TheNegation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,809
TheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He CrossesTheNegation Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGhST07 View Post
First off you really must not know much about thugs. Being a thug doesn't mean they go out and fight everyday for a living to survive. They do it because they choose to do it, they wanna be bad just like there favorite rappers. I live in Bridgeport, CT so I would know. "Thugs" fight off of instinct, so ok, whats the point of taking martial arts if instincts are better then being TRAINED HOW TO FIGHT? Being TRAINED TO FIGHT and THINKING YOU CAN FIGHT are 2 different things. Therefore you lost automatically. Second, if you take allll those martial arts like you claim you do, why bother posting what you did, because after your last sentence you just made whatever you said above not valid. "I will never take a grading system"..yet you take BJJ? Your a black belt in Shotokan yet think its useless, yet you stood there long enough to get a black belt which takes a couple years of hard training. Therefore you didnt think it was useless. Seriously, don't critize what I said if your gonna come up with all of that crap, and then acting like your Tony Jaa at the end of it.

Actually, he has a good point about thugs. A lot of them are tough guys, and a lot of people know how to box and fight in general, particularly if they get in a lot fights on the street. Thinking you are gonna beat them because you take Kickboxing twice a week is as bad if not worse than thinking you are mad cos yo listen to rap or whatever. The type of people who go up an attack random strangers on the street, even the ones who only do it in large numbers, are generally the people who know how to fight.
Underestimating your opponent is quite likely to result in an asskicking.
TheNegation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #78 (permalink)
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,000
americanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By All
I guess I would say learn krav maga or sikal they teach you the no hold bars self defense combat. they teach you how to disarm people and defend yourself in situations like that. Sikal also teaches you to use just about anything as a weapon.
__________________
"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #79 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Bolarbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Being TRAINED TO FIGHT and THINKING YOU CAN FIGHT are 2 different things. Therefore you lost automatically. Second, if you take allll those martial arts like you claim you do, why bother posting what you did, because after your last sentence you just made whatever you said above not valid. "I will never take a grading system"..yet you take BJJ?
How do you think these guys came up with these fighting systems...they have been developed over many years, due to instinct,its not rocket science, and do thugs not watch TV??Do they never have a member train at any fighting system?They have an unfortunate method of seeing if these systems work in full contact,on unsuspecting members of the public,I told you what I train so you knew my background as I'm not biased towards no fighting systems. I got my black belt from when I was 12until I was 16,just says it all...lucky I had a rough time at school and knew what worked and what didnt. I train BJJ because I like the methods not to gain belts, I'll join in on the gradin classes but only to add hours to my training,the belt system is a joke, period. I see it so many times in Muay Thai where schools try and implement a grading system and the attitude these guys have,then get ktfo sparring against non graders. Why is it so hard to understand that I train now in all of the above 6times a week?Dont all of you train in mma...as this is an mma forum?
Bolarbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #80 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,181
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGhST07 View Post
First off you really must not know much about thugs. Being a thug doesn't mean they go out and fight everyday for a living to survive. They do it because they choose to do it, they wanna be bad just like there favorite rappers. I live in Bridgeport, CT so I would know. "Thugs" fight off of instinct, so ok, whats the point of taking martial arts if instincts are better then being TRAINED HOW TO FIGHT? Being TRAINED TO FIGHT and THINKING YOU CAN FIGHT are 2 different things. Therefore you lost automatically. Second, if you take allll those martial arts like you claim you do, why bother posting what you did, because after your last sentence you just made whatever you said above not valid. "I will never take a grading system"..yet you take BJJ? Your a black belt in Shotokan yet think its useless, yet you stood there long enough to get a black belt which takes a couple years of hard training. Therefore you didnt think it was useless. Seriously, don't critize what I said if your gonna come up with all of that crap, and then acting like your Tony Jaa at the end of it.
You sound like someone who's never been in a real fight. YES, instinct is usually better in a real fight than stiff training hitting pads or choreographed routines with unresisting partners, or worst of all, choreographed katas with no one even responding, and techniques that are unrealistic and suicidal to begin with (like Karate/TKD's "blocking" of kicks with an extended arm or the stupid stance of keeping your hands at your side with your knees bent, Krav Maga's ludicrous knife "snatching" etc). Such "training" can be worse than none when it comes to a real fight, because it falls apart the second you realize your opponent is not going to stand there while you dandily walk around him and do your pretty aikido flip, he's gonna sock you right in the face. I've seen some such black belts get beaten pretty badly your average high school thug. Some MAs like Muay Thai/Boxing/KB/BJJ are somewhat useful even if you haven't sparred, because they give you stronger striking and conditioning, but most traditional MAs don't even give you that much. You should listen the the Shotokan BB when he confesses that. But IMO if a TMA guy hasn't sparred or tested his MA skills out against someone actually fighting him back, the "thugs" you condescend on will probably whup him 9 times out of 10. In general, the thug types tend to bigger, stronger and meaner than your average guy .. your TKD hop kick is usually quite useless against their actual fighting experience and instinct, and usually brute strength. Real life isn't like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Bolarbag has made some very legit points and he seems to know what he's talking about, through actual experience I would guess. If you don't believe me, sock one of your worthless Bridgeport thugs next time he's acting tough, and let us all know how it went.

Last edited by Liddellianenko : 02-05-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Liddellianenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios