If there's one lesson that Strikeforce middleweight Scott Smith (17-6 MMA, 3-1 SF) has taught the MMA world during his career, it's to never, ever count "Hands of Steel" out of a fight.
Smith famously added to his growing legend with a come-from-behind, knockout win over previously undefeated striker Cung Le in December.
And while Smith doesn't necessarily have a title fight in his immediate future, the Californian recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio
) that he's OK with that. He doesn't fight for belts, anyway.
"I want to be the fighter that people want to watch fight," Smith said. "I'll be the first to say that I'm not the most talented fighter in the world, and I'm not saying I should be a world champ right now. But I'm not in there for a belt. I'm in there to have fun.
"I love MMA. I love fighting, and that's what I want to do: I want to out there and put on a good show."
Smith has spent his career touring the world's top fight organizations. A UFC, WEC and EliteXC veteran prior to his current Strikeforce run, the 30-year-old has found a home in his new promotion.
"That (Le bout) was my first fight on my new contract," Smith said. "I signed a six-fight deal with them, so I'm going to be with Strikeforce a while.
"I'm three of four in Strikeforce now, and they're treating me really well. I'm excited to do some more big things with them."
With his crowd-pleasing style, Smith has already put on memorable Strikeforce performances with Le, Nick Diaz, Benji Radach and Terry Martin. Where he goes next has yet to be determined.
Radach has strongly contested his fight with Smith was stopped prematurely, and Smith has said he has no problems revisiting the bout. However, Smith thinks Radach still needs to earn his way back to the rematch.
"I would be open to rematch fights," Smith said. "I know Strikeforce was talking about Benji even before [the Le] fight.
"I would like to see Benji go out and get another win. His last fight was a loss to me, so I think it would make more sense for him to go get a win and build it up more. But if I was in his spot I would definitey want a rematch as well, so I think that fight definitely makes sense. It could be a couple of fights down the road, though."
Instead, Smith will wait for Strikeforce to find another opponent willing to stand in front of his "Hands of Steel."
The winner of the Jan. 30 "Strikeforce: Miami" bout with Robbie Lawler and Melvin Manhoef could prove entertaining, especially considering Smith's history with "Ruthless." Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos or Frank Shamrock might also be willing to throw down, as well.
Smith said Strikeforce hasn't tipped their hand just yet, but he is openly campaigning for a chance to flash his power on a familiar broadcast platform: network television.
"Strikeforce just told me to be ready by May," Smith said. "I'm guessing they're going to have a card in May or something. I'm definitely lobbying to get on that CBS card (in April), me and my management team.
"I did talk to one of the guys from CBS, and he was telling me they'd love to have me on the next CBS card. But it's basically up to Strikeforce and CBS. They both have some say in it, but I would definitely love to be on that CBS card."