Dan Henderson's Career - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,984
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
First of all I'm a fan of Hendo. But this sentence is not true, Fitch has about ten victories via decision but only 2 split-decisions. It's a BIG difference. In 8 victories of Hendo's career, some of them were really important, one out of three judges thought he didn't win the fight. So making his score a thing to appreciate is not really smart. He has faced the best, but his score is deceptive. It could have easily been 17-15 instead of 25-7.
I'm so tempted to say "and if I had wheels I'd be a wagon" right now and just leave it at that you have no idea, but I won't do that because I would like to keep this as civil as possible.

You fail to include that four splits occurred before he was in Pride, two against heavyweights, Yvel and Nog one against a LHW in Babalu. He had only two wins by split in Pride against Kondo and Bustamante. Then a split against Rich Franklin a fight that took place at LHW. All this, while the man is a 185lb fighter. Not saying that's a reason for him to get a split knob, but it does mean he was fighting above his weight class, something wrestlers don't do. Elite strikers don't have as big an issue moving up because the size difference doesn't affect what their skill is. When a wrestler moves up, he is now trying to grapple with a man that could be possibly much larger than him.
__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"

Last edited by Life B Ez : 03-21-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,658
Freelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
I'm so tempted to say "and if I had wheels I'd be a wagon" right now and just leave it at that you have no idea, but I won't do that because I would like to keep this as civil as possible.

You fail to include that four splits occurred before he was in Pride, two against heavyweights, Yvel and Nog one against a LHW in Babalu. He had only two wins by split in Pride against Kondo and Bustamante. Then a split against Rich Franklin a fight that took place at LHW. All this, while the man is a 185lb fighter. Not saying that's a reason for him to get a split knob, but it does mean he was fighting above his weight class, something wrestlers don't do. Elite strikers don't have as big an issue moving up because the size difference doesn't affect what their skill is. When a wrestler moves up, he is now trying to grapple with a man that could be possibly much larger than him.
I have a better one for you: If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa.

I'm aware Hendo fought bigger fighters. However he regularly gave better performances at LHW than MW so I don't think he was over-matched against any LHW he faced.
So I don't think moving up was ever a big problem for him. Those splits really made the difference in his career. He won King of the ring trophy with 2 split decisions in a row(one of which was VERY undeserving). He won the Pride MW title with a split decision. Once again(broken record, anyone?), if those splits went the other way he wouldn't have been half respected as he is now. He is not bad, just not as good as his record or titles show.

Thanks for keeping it civilized.


EDIT: I forgot to mention, Dan won the UFC 17 tournament with a split decision too.
__________________
"He who defeats himself is the mightiest warrior" - Confucius(I think)

Last edited by Freelancer : 03-21-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,984
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
I have a better one for you: If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa.

I'm aware Hendo fought bigger fighters. However he regularly gave better performances at LHW than MW so I don't think he was over-matched against any LHW he faced.
So I don't think moving up was ever a big problem for him. Those splits really made the difference in his career. He won King of the ring trophy with 2 split decisions in a row(one of which was VERY undeserving). He won the Pride MW title with a split decision. Once again(broken record, anyone?), if those splits went the other way he wouldn't have been half respected as he is now. He is not bad, just not as good as his record or titles show.

Thanks for keeping it civilized.
I'll give you the Nog gift, that was really just handed to Dan. The others I think all went to Dan fairly. But at the end of the day, he has those wins, he could have fewer titles, he could be a just a few wins over .500 but he isn't. Add the fact the guy has never been KO'd when you look at who he's fought that's just insane in it's own right. You also can't take away his high school, college and Olympic wrestling, there are a few all-americans in the UFC, not a whole lot of Olympians.

He did Hendo Hop Wand when Wand was at his peak in Pride too. Just because it's one of my all-time favorite finishes, just the arms catching and Dan throwing the left, I mean KO Wand with a left standing toe to toe with him in Pride, you're a HOF just for that IMO. Hahahaha

__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
BobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
I don't agree with much of that, but I see your point on everything except for Dan being overrated. I really hope that's a joke, Dan is never in the conversation about GOAT or even in the talk when MW comes up. The only time he ever gets talked about is when people are discussing who could possibly beat Silva and even then it's not much of a mention, it's just maybe Hendo could have in a rematch.

I'm sorry, but you don't hold two titles in two divisions if you aren't a great fighter. It's as simple as that, yes he's won a lot of decisions and it's 8 split decisions btw not 9, but so has Jon Fitch, does that mean Fitch isn't a great fighter? And if you ask me Dan has easily fought tougher competition.

Dan is going to run right through SF, there just isn't the ability at MW in SF. Dan wants another title before he retires, he's driven and Jake Shields style plays right into Dan's game. Shields doesn't have great stand-up and I don't see him taking Dan down very easily or staying on top if he does take him down.

Vitor's sister was kidnapped almost three years before he fought Dan Henderson, so nice try. That was sad about Vitor's sister though, either way. Vitor also tested positive for steroids after that fight.
great post and so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
I'm so tempted to say "and if I had wheels I'd be a wagon" right now and just leave it at that you have no idea, but I won't do that because I would like to keep this as civil as possible.

You fail to include that four splits occurred before he was in Pride, two against heavyweights, Yvel and Nog one against a LHW in Babalu. He had only two wins by split in Pride against Kondo and Bustamante. Then a split against Rich Franklin a fight that took place at LHW. All this, while the man is a 185lb fighter. Not saying that's a reason for him to get a split knob, but it does mean he was fighting above his weight class, something wrestlers don't do. Elite strikers don't have as big an issue moving up because the size difference doesn't affect what their skill is. When a wrestler moves up, he is now trying to grapple with a man that could be possibly much larger than him.
great post and so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
I'll give you the Nog gift, that was really just handed to Dan. The others I think all went to Dan fairly. But at the end of the day, he has those wins, he could have fewer titles, he could be a just a few wins over .500 but he isn't. Add the fact the guy has never been KO'd when you look at who he's fought that's just insane in it's own right. You also can't take away his high school, college and Olympic wrestling, there are a few all-americans in the UFC, not a whole lot of Olympians.

He did Hendo Hop Wand when Wand was at his peak in Pride too. Just because it's one of my all-time favorite finishes, just the arms catching and Dan throwing the left, I mean KO Wand with a left standing toe to toe with him in Pride, you're a HOF just for that IMO. Hahahaha
great post and so true!

Many many tend to forget, that Hendo is already 39 now and STILL fights in his prime, against the best fighters out there. Just look at guys like Wandy (only 33 years of age), Chuck and Co who already struggle so much more and are thinking about retirement where Hendo keeps fighting about the belts in the biggest organizations out there.
BobbyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
BobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty cornerBobbyCooper Is in the naughty corner
Henderson - fought most champs in most weight classes!!!

Nobody fought more major org champions from more weight classes then Hendo!


HW champs: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (2x)
LHW champs: Wanderlei Silva (2x)
Quinton Jackson
Vitor Belfort
Babalu (Strikeforce)
Yuki Kondo (if you count Rings champs)
MW champs: Anderson Silva
Rich Franklin
Murilo Bustamante
Kazuo Misaki (grand prix winner)
WW champs: Carlos Newton

Legend!
BobbyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,984
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Nobody fought more major org champions from more weight classes then Hendo!


HW champs: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (2x)
LHW champs: Wanderlei Silva (2x)
Quinton Jackson
Vitor Belfort
Babalu (Strikeforce)
Yuki Kondo (if you count Rings champs)
MW champs: Anderson Silva
Rich Franklin
Murilo Bustamante
Kazuo Misaki (grand prix winner)
WW champs: Carlos Newton

Legend!
Yeah, no one can say they've done that, not even the all powerful Fedor, he's fought the best and beaten a lot of them too. Only two guys I would really liked to have seen him fight that he didn't, Nate Marquardt and I would have loved to have seen Henderson v Shogun especially if it had been in Pride.
__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
BrutalKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,866
BrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level nowBrutalKO is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno™ View Post
You can add Strikeforce's middleweight title into his collection. Thank god, gotta love Dan Henderson.
..I'm with you on that. Hendo is a already a living legend. He left the UFC with a HUGE bang sporting one of the most brutal KO's ever. I can't wait until The SF MW belt is strapped around his waist. He's fought the toughest fighters and I kinda feel sorry for Jake Shields because he's reign will be over. It's almost impossible to not like Dan Henderson...
BrutalKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #38 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
VolcomX311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 2,791
VolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post

He did Hendo Hop Wand when Wand
LOL, Hendo Hop. First time I've heard that
__________________
CERTIFIED STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACH - NSCA CSCS
VolcomX311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
NotDylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: US
Posts: 316
NotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level nowNotDylan is on another level now
Yeah, I got a man crush on Hendo, so what?

He's oh so close to being the greatest MW of all time if it wasn't for his major weakness: he sometimes forgets that he's one of the best wrestlers in mma.

AND HE THROWS STRIKES WITH HIS SHOULDERS.
NotDylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,984
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Hey bumping this thread just because we can add SF LHW to his resume.

And I've been thinking a younger Hendo could have given Jones problems, not anymore sadly, he's 40, but I think Henderson is the prototype to beat Jones.

Ability to end a fight with a single punch, great clinch work and wrestling, granite chin and great cardio.
__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios