Something needs to be implemented to stop Blanketing - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 476
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehero View Post
LOL I wrestled in highschool, and I owned ppl 20-30 pounds heavier than me.
Wrestling is fun and all doing it.
But watching it for more than 5 mins is boring as hell.

This should be MMA sport, MIXED Martial Art, now it is turning into who is the strongest wrestler.

There needs to be rules implemented so that lay and pray is completely eliminated from the game, so that more different styles of fighter can exist at the top level.
You did squat if you think 20 secs is enough to stand up fighters. Tell your Fairy Tales elsewhere.
Majortom505 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 39
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
off the top of my head:

chuck, cro-cop, bj, Machida, Nog.....Anderson Silva...hell anybody named silva does OK against wrestlers.

But I get your point. anyone who wants to be at the top of the sport should start wrestling.

However, wrestling is not the be all of mma. Wrestlers seem dominant now not because of wrestling alone. But because for whatever reason they are learning the other aspects of the sport faster and better than strikers and submission grapplers are learning wrestling.

You need it all. Wrestlers just have a head start.
I am not saying MMA wrestlers only knows wrestling, OF COURSE they learn other stuff as well.

Wrestlers are becoming more and more multi-dimensional now, thats is why they can easily force the action on the ground with their knowledge and without taking much risk themselves.

That is whats bothering me, fights are going to become all lay and pray if rules doesnt get changed.
nonamehero is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Flyweight
 
FatFreeMilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 233
                     
Nothing against wrestling per se, however if you're not inflicting damage (real damage) or looking to advance ones position, the fight should be stood up quite obviously the pair aren't fighting.
FatFreeMilk is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 12,984
                     
Yeah like take Kos, he's become mostly a striker!

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 39
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortom505 View Post
You did squat if you think 20 secs is enough to stand up fighters. Tell your Fairy Tales elsewhere.
Yes, I had to do squats also to train on my thigh power.
Thank you for mentioning that.

I am not even sure what you mean,
are you saying a ref cant physically stand up fighters in 20 secs? why?
Please use logical sentences.
nonamehero is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Featherweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 1,013
                     
20 seconds is not enough time to set up many submissions... If you are only give 20 seconds it is basicly kick boxing... Dont like the idea at all...

I do however think if nothing is happening they should be stood up after a fair amount of time

-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 39
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreeMilk View Post
Nothing against wrestling per se, however if you're not inflicting damage (real damage) or looking to advance ones position, the fight should be stood up quite obviously the pair aren't fighting.
even if you are inflicting damage, it is boring to watch a ground grind for more than 5 minutes.

Unless you are finishing the guy, you shouldnt have infinite time to be on top.

If you want the position again, then you must spend energy to take the person down again.

There needs to be better rules in UFC to make MMA a more appealing sport.

Maybe 20 seconds is not the answer, but something needs to be done to take away the overwhelming advantage of a wrestler being on top for the whole fight.
nonamehero is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 51
                     
A guy who is on top is exploiting the rules rather than winning a fight if he:

1) Doesn't risk posturing up to do real damage
2) Doesn't risk loosing position by going for a sub
3) Doesn't try to pass into a position where he can do proper damage

A few changes to the rules could stop LnP from working.
kritter is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 963
                     
i dno its kind of a boring ugly way to fight but fair is fair, i personally would not be satisfied with myself winning fights that way if i were an mma fighter

even worse than the maynard vs florian fight was the andre winner fight during the prelims on spike, 3 rounds of that one guy pushing winner up to the cage trying to take him down... zzzZZZzzz
kay_o_ken is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,099
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter View Post
A guy who is on top is exploiting the rules rather than winning a fight if he:

1) Doesn't risk posturing up to do real damage
2) Doesn't risk loosing position by going for a sub
3) Doesn't try to pass into a position where he can do proper damage

A few changes to the rules could stop LnP from working.
Hey guys, 1st post on the forum.

Completely agree with this post here by Kritter.

I also think there needs to be a change to the scoring. In the Kenny V Maynard round 1, Kenny throws punches for 4 minutes, granted he doesn't land a lot, he still does a lot more than 1 takedown in the last minute and then 40 odd seconds of LnP.......? How did Maynard win the round on 2 judges scorecards? It makes no sense to me.
Fine Wine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome