1. Submit him when hes on top of you
2. Stand up
3. Beat him up with strikes and elbows from the bottom
4. Perform a sweep/reversal to get on top of him
5. DONT GET TAKEN DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE
Basically you have to be a better wrestler than your opponents to counter him.....
This is like saying in Shaq's prime, if he was allowed to camp in the key, you can still defend him
1. be stronger than him, move him out of the key
2. foul him, he cant shoot free throws
3. shoot 3 pointers, so that it is worth one more point than his dunk
4. triple team him
5. dont let him catch the ball
6. BLOCK HIS DUNKS
hell, even with 3 secs rule, Shaq still dominated.
even with 20 secs rule against pray and lay, skilled fighter like GSP will still own with stand up games, and clinches. But he would be forced to take some risks.
However there would be no place for one-dimensional fighters like Jon Fitch and Gray Maynard. As they have really no skills in striking.