mma fans bias towards bjj - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 29
Jmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura about
mma fans bias towards bjj

I may be wrong but it seems like mma fans in general have a strong bjj bias. Not only that, but mma fans seem to want to train in bjj over say wrestling. It's understandable because a person who starts bjj at say age 20 can become a high level bjj practioner. The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good.

Not only that but mma fans seem to always favor the Brazilian bjj practioners over the American wrestlers. It kind of pisses me off. I don't know though, tell me if I'm wrong about this.
Jmac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
RossCrispin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brighton, Sussex, England
Posts: 55
RossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enoughRossCrispin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
I may be wrong but it seems like mma fans in general have a strong bjj bias. Not only that, but mma fans seem to want to train in bjj over say wrestling. It's understandable because a person who starts bjj at say age 20 can become a high level bjj practioner. The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good.

Not only that but mma fans seem to always favor the Brazilian bjj practioners over the American wrestlers. It kind of pisses me off. I don't know though, tell me if I'm wrong about this.
I've been training in both recently, and I personally prefer BJJ, however I think it's down to personal preference and what your gym offers. I'm sure not every gym will have a wrestling expert, my gym offers the mixture, so I'm trying to be more variable, and learn both.

I prefer BJJ, but really enjoy the wrestling side. However, to me, it only appears to be U.S fighters who use wrestling. So could it be because wrestling is a high school sport in the US, and isn't as mainstream elsewhere?

And are you sure you're not bringing nationalism into this, I mean. If the guy who wrestles and is American, and the BJJ practitioner is, say..Canadian. Are you being biased towards the American because you're American (Assuming you're American, of course)Fans will support who they believe is the better fighter, if they enjoy BJJ, they're gonna root for the guy with the BJJ.
RossCrispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
LEGEND
 
putmeonhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,684
putmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
I may be wrong but it seems like mma fans in general have a strong bjj bias. Not only that, but mma fans seem to want to train in bjj over say wrestling. It's understandable because a person who starts bjj at say age 20 can become a high level bjj practioner. The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good.

Not only that but mma fans seem to always favor the Brazilian bjj practioners over the American wrestlers. It kind of pisses me off. I don't know though, tell me if I'm wrong about this.

I can't agree on any of these points you make. The only MMA generalizations your thread has managed to prove is your own opinion that all MMA fans are the same.

MMA fans have a variety of tastes and expectations. In fact I would assert that a clear majority of fans favor striking over both wrestling and BJJ.

Normally I would never respond to a thread like this but I took issue with your statement that "The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good." This is simply untrue. Case in pint: Georges St. Pierre whom as I understand it, began focusing on his wrestling later on in his short life.
__________________
Let's Bang!
putmeonhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 29
Jmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by putmeonhold View Post
I can't agree on any of these points you make. The only MMA generalizations your thread has managed to prove is your own opinion that all MMA fans are the same.

MMA fans have a variety of tastes and expectations. In fact I would assert that a clear majority of fans favor striking over both wrestling and BJJ.

Normally I would never respond to a thread like this but I took issue with your statement that "The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good." This is simply untrue. Case in pint: Georges St. Pierre whom as I understand it, began focusing on his wrestling later on in his short life.
gsp never actually wrestled in a match. His wrestling is good for mma, but he would get tore up by kos, fitch, etc in an actual match.
Jmac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
KillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
I may be wrong but it seems like mma fans in general have a strong bjj bias. Not only that, but mma fans seem to want to train in bjj over say wrestling. It's understandable because a person who starts bjj at say age 20 can become a high level bjj practioner. The same cannot be said for wrestling, if you don't start young you will never be any good.

Not only that but mma fans seem to always favor the Brazilian bjj practioners over the American wrestlers. It kind of pisses me off. I don't know though, tell me if I'm wrong about this.
have to say that GSP, does disprove your theory on not been able to become a good wrestler even if you start late in your career, and the reason BJJ is so widely trained in MMA is because its something every MMA fighter needs to be aware of or else they will be caught out by it.

I think the reason the fans would sooner see BJJ on the ground over Wrestling is a lot to do with it been a more aggressive style, with BJJ you are looking for the finish via submission, its more active and involves more flexibility and position advances, where is wrestling is more about pinning your opponents shoulders on the floor, or winning by decision, and since in a MMA matching winning by fall is not an option, that only leaves decision, so a lot of the time when we witness a wrestler take control in a MMA fight, if it had been a wrestling match the fight would of been called by fall except instead we are stuck with watching 3x5 min falls resulting in a fairly boring decision.
__________________

KillerShark1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
LEGEND
 
putmeonhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,684
putmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
gsp never actually wrestled in a match. His wrestling is good for mma, but he would get tore up by kos, fitch, etc in an actual match.
Irrelevant since the context in which our debate has been framed is within MMA, both from the standpoint of your own thread, which I will also point out --> You wrote this thread on "MMAforum.com, in the General MMA section of the forum. GSP has beaten both KOS and Fitch while showcasing his wrestling skills in both of those fights.

I can understand your frustration with BJJ if you are a proponent and fan of wrestling but I respectfully say you failed miserably at supporting your argument and as such I have interpreted your thread as simply a rant.
__________________
Let's Bang!

Last edited by putmeonhold : 09-12-2010 at 12:47 PM.
putmeonhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 29
Jmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura aboutJmac91 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by putmeonhold View Post
Irrelevant since the context in which our debate has been framed is within MMA, both from the standpoint of your own thread, which I will also point out --> You wrote this thread on "MMAforum.com, in the General MMA section of the forum. GSP has beaten both KOS and Fitch while showcasing his wrestling skills in both of those fights.

I can understand your frustration with BJJ if you are a proponent and fan of wrestling but I respectfully say you failed miserably at supporting your argument and as such I have interpreted your thread as simply a rant.
This was sort of a rant, since we are seeing wrestlers dominate right now, it's frusturating to see mma fans in general still root against them. My argument was also geared towards more of the sports individually and not how they are applied to mma.

I'm doing this on my itouch, it's real hard to type a proper argument on this ******* thing.

Last edited by Jmac91 : 09-12-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added letter.
Jmac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
KillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
This was sort of a rant, since we are seeing wrestlers dominate right now, it's frusturating to see mma fans in general still root against them. My argument was also geared towards more of the sports individually and not how they are applied to mma.

I'm doing this on my itouch, it's real hard to type a proper argument on this ******* thing.
Not really the case, only the Welterweight division in the UFC, is truly dominated by wrestlers. in a much wider perspective of MMA, the Welterweight division is a very small part, if you could make the same argument for striking in the LHW division, but you dont because out of the top 5 in the division there are a couple of wrestlers in there, but its not exactly dominating that division or any other except WW.
__________________

KillerShark1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,993
Roflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By AllRoflcopter Is Beloved By All
That Evan Dunham guy is pretty damn good wrestler too, and a superior overall grappler....
__________________
Roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
LEGEND
 
putmeonhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,684
putmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enoughputmeonhold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac91 View Post
This was sort of a rant, since we are seeing wrestlers dominate right now, it's frusturating to see mma fans in general still root against them. My argument was also geared towards more of the sports individually and not how they are applied to mma.

I'm doing this on my itouch, it's real hard to type a proper argument on this ******* thing.
Well I truly think the reason the MMA fans who root against wrestlers do so not because it has anything to do with the dedication or skill sets of the wrestlers, but rather (as can clearly e seen reading any number of posts on the subject) the entertainment value of a fight that is dominated by a wrestler. MMA after all is a business and is a form of entertainment. We can all stand in awe of the skill it takes to fight at that level - but no one is paying $50 per month simply because it's a high level skill. We pay to be excited and entertained and wrestler's do not often live up to those expectations.

There are of course some exceptions, notably Matt Hughes and Chael Sonnen.
__________________
Let's Bang!
putmeonhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios