MMA + smokers ? - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 AM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrokenshieldx View Post
Obviously I do not know you personally and can't speak to your conditioning, but it may be a combination of both. No one would argue that smoking doesn't harm your cardio and lung capacity and I am sure any coach would pressure their fighter to quit smoking (as well as any doctor, beyond fighting reasons). With that said I think it is safe to say the Lentz is more of an exception than he is the rule.

Still, I am sure intense cardio training can combat some of the detrimental cardio-effects of smoking.
Lol i actually have some hardcore weed smoker friends. (First time i used hardcore and weed in the same sentence)... that smoke like couple times a day every day AND they will argue to death that smoking weed has expanded their lungs thus have improved their endurance by being able to carry more oxygen

Stoners will be stoners

SideWays222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 598
                     
Most people dont understand how much smoke you inhale with a cig and how much you inhale from a hit. Lets see well a cig is a roll full of tobacco and you inhale how many times during the whole time and blow out how much smoke? Where as 1 hit from a piece of glass is enough and its only a small tube of smoke.
Thats really not enough to be damaging to your lungs. And only if you smoke everyday without giving your lungs a little bit of time to heal every once in a while then you'll be fine.

EDIT:"Fortunately, even cases of life-long or otherwise long term smokers, human lung tissue begins the process of healing itself when smoking is ceased."

This mostly applys to tobacco since it REALLY damages the lungs but its the same with weed and even the long-term effects on your memory after smoking for a while stop as soon as the weeds completely out of your system, (30+ days.)

There really are no downsides to smoking once or twice or even 3 times a week so long as you can control it, and everyonce in a while take a break.

Last edited by TheReturn; 09-29-2010 at 10:25 AM.
TheReturn is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
Weed really shouldn't be used either. Anything that someone smokes affects their endurance. The dude that lost in TUF lost because of a submission but if that fight had gone the actual distance he would've started gassing!
Vaporizor... no smoke... theory broken!

whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino
pt447 is offline  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Fabolouslife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 83
                     
I used to smoke, and I found I could deal with training and whatnot and adapted to it but, once I quit smoking I found a huge improvement
Fabolouslife is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 13,206
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabolouslife View Post
I used to smoke, and I found I could deal with training and whatnot and adapted to it but, once I quit smoking I found a huge improvement
There we go, point proven! If you smoke it takes away from your total stamina. However, if you don't then you can be at your best!

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,047
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
There we go, point proven! If you smoke it takes away from your total stamina. However, if you don't then you can be at your best!
Most fun things aren't really good for you. I also feel there is a pretty strong difference between marijuana and tobacco smoke as well as the way they are consumed. Obviously health-wise smoking isn't going to help you, but then again, alcohol isn't good for someone who trains either, doesn't stop most fighters from indulging at least once in a while. It's about moderation.


Oh, and pt447 is right about the vaporizer. Your lungs don't suffer when you vaporize pot.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 13,206
                     
Well regardless of the vaporizer, the fact is it's illegal. If it's not legal why are you going to risk using it?

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,047
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
Well regardless of the vaporizer, the fact is it's illegal. If it's not legal why are you going to risk using it?
It is in fact legal, at the state level, for many people. Yes, it is technically still illegal federally but Obama has pretty much nullified raids on state-licensed distributors and patients, which means that functionally it's about as illegal as a prescribed painkiller. Nick Diaz, for example, is never going to face legal action for his medical use as long as he stays in states which allow it.

Since you claim to be in California (which has the most medical marijuana prescriptions of any state I believe, and was nearly just decriminalized completely) I'm surprised you don't understand this.

Oh and lastly, I pride myself in having my own moral sense. I don't agree with every law and I don't consider it ok to do everything that isn't explicitly illegal. I think many people feel the same, because laws get broken frequently. In a democracy laws exist to serve the people, not the other way around, and that's why they change so often.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 13,206
                     
Yeah, but California has started cracking down on those dispenseries cause the only people who go to them are druggies. Personally, Diaz would probably get a slap on the wrist if he gets caught with weed. Yes, it is a screwed up system but the fact of the matter is the DEA will go after someone who is involved in a drug ring!

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,047
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
Yeah, but California has started cracking down on those dispenseries cause the only people who go to them are druggies.
They are cracking down on dispensaries that sell to non-medical users. So? They would crack down on a store that sold liquor to minors and a doctor that wrote prescriptions for people who don't need them, as well.

Quote:
Personally, Diaz would probably get a slap on the wrist if he gets caught with weed. Yes, it is a screwed up system but the fact of the matter is the DEA will go after someone who is involved in a drug ring!
So you're saying if the california police caught Diaz with weed, he would be punished? Sorry, not if he was within his medical limit. He'd have to be caught by federal authorities and even then they in all likelihood would not go after him as long as he was within California and wasn't carrying more than permitted. I spend a lot of time in Cali by the way, so I'm not oblivious to the situation there.


also: <------5555 posts!

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome