Josh Thompson Takes Shots At Ben Henderson... - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Josh Thompson Takes Shots At Ben Henderson...

[/quote]

Quote:
Here’s one thing we bet you didn’t see coming at Thursday’s Strikeforce press conference: Former lightweight champion Josh Thomson took some time out of his busy schedule getting ready to fight Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante on Saturday to kick a little sand in the totally undeserving face of WEC champ Ben Henderson.

"I think it's a joke that you guys have guys like Ben Henderson ranked above guys like JZ," Thomson said. "You guys got to be freaking kidding me. This kid (JZ) is a beast. The guy's a great fighter … Are you kidding me? Really? You guys have a guy named Ben Henderson ranked above this guy? You guys are out of your mind. This guy's a savage.”

OK first, it's great that Thomson and Cavalcante respect each other and all that. Second, let’s be clear about our semantics here, Thomson appears to be calling out the mavens of various MMA rankings, not Henderson himself. Still, if you've got beef with the rankings, why mention Bendo at all? For a vet like Thomson to take a shot at an up-and-comer like Henderson feels weird and frankly, a little unseemly.

At this point it’s hard for me to view Henderson as anything other than 26-year-old kid who’s done nothing but beat everybody the WEC has put in front of him, a kid who hasn’t lost since 2006. It’s not his fault he hasn't gotten the call up to the UFC and it's certainly not his fault that a few MMA writers think he’s pretty good at what he does. At this point the only halfway legitimate criticism that can be leveled at Henderson is that he fights in an organization that doesn’t offer much top competition. Oddly, that same criticism can be leveled at Thomson, a dude whose last two wins are over Pat Healy and Ashe Bowman.

Does Henderson deserve to be ranked in the Top 10? Probably not. But wait, is he?

A quick look around the major rankings reveals Henderson only appears in the Top 10 on one of them. He’s No. 9 over at MMA Weekly, a spot ahead of Jim Miller (Ed. Note: OK, that actually is a crime, but whatevs). Reportedly, he used to be ranked by Sherdog too, but the Dog bumped him to make room for Sean Sherk after UFC 119. According to the more lengthy USA Today/SB Nation consensus rankings Henderson is No. 14, Cavalcante is No. 19 and Thomson is No. 21. That actually seems about right, considering a point Thomson himself mentioned at the presser.

“Here’s the deal, the only reason JZ is not in the top three or four is because of the inactivity, and it goes the same for me,” Thomson said. “I was ranked like three or four and so was he, and then we ended up being hurt; both of us did. That’s the only reason we’re out of the Top 10, to be honest. I lost to Gilbert Melendez but Gilbert is ranked No. 2 now.”

Inactivity, sure. Thomson’s fought just twice since the summer of 2008 (going 1-1) and Cavalcante just four times in the last three years. Oh, also JZ is 1-2-1 in those last four bouts, including a no contest against Shinya Aoki in the Dream lightweight grand prix.

My opinion: Essentially, none of these guys should be ranked in the Top 10. And they’re not, except by one website. So wait, what are we talking about again?

“It’s a crappy situation that we’re in,” Thomson said. “We both feel like we should probably be ranked in the Top 10, but we’re not because of our inactivity. That’s really what it comes down to.”

Good thing for both Thomson and Cavalcante they have the chance to be plenty active this weekend. After this stern talking-to, it’s a good bet the winner magically finds his way back into a lot of writers’ Top 10s.
source....http://www.cagepotato.com/disrespect...-ben-henderson
_RIVAL_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 795
                     
lol @ josh thinking he should be ranked in the top 10.
Pound&Mound is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Bantamweight
 
Rastaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 769
                     
He comes off as an arrogant douche in this article, no doubt. However, I think Josh Thompson is in the top ten LW, however, as #10 exactly.

As for Cavalcante? top ten? Not now not ever. A NC and loss against Aoki, loss to Kawajiri, and a split decision over Kikuno does not qualify you for top ten status. It qualifies you for barely-within-top-twenty status.

As for Ben Henderson, I have reservations about putting him very high, solely because he has faced very weak competition his whole career. I want to rank him higher because he showed amazing submission defense, stamina, and game planning his last few fights, but against Cerrone and Varner? Get him out of the WEC and into the UFC so we can see what he's actually worth. I would like to see him against an opponent like Sam Stout or someone of similar strength.

vBookie Record: 16-9

Current vBookie Bets:
Rastaman is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Bendo would beat JZ. He gets ranked in the top 15 because he has been winning fights.
osmium is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
I think Benderson would lay a beating on Thompson, actually I would love to see Bendo vs Melendez.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
I think Benderson would lay a beating on Thompson, actually I would love to see Bendo vs Melendez.
Gilbert Melendez would smash Ben Henderson. Gil does everything better.

Beating Varner and Cerrone doesn't put Henderson in the same catagory as GIlbert Melendez.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
Gilbert Melendez would smash Ben Henderson. Gil does everything better.

Beating Varner and Cerrone doesn't put Henderson in the same catagory as GIlbert Melendez.
Melendez striking is nothing to write home about. It only has looked good because he fought Aoki who has the stand up of a 12 year old girl and Thompson who is a glorified brawler. I think it would be a lot better fight than your giving Bendo credit for.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Melendez striking is nothing to write home about. It only has looked good because he fought Aoki who has the stand up of a 12 year old girl and Thompson who is a glorified brawler. I think it would be a lot better fight than your giving Bendo credit for.
He also smashed Crusher Kawajiri, Beat Clay Guida, and avenged Ishida. And he also outgrappled Rodrigo Damm. And Thompson is a glorified brawler? lol you're reaching... Josh Thompson is very well rounded, solid striking, wrestling, tdd, scrambles dude is a beast. You're just not giving Gilbert his due.

Melendez may not be exciting to you, but he's world class. Make no mistake.

Benson has only beat Cerrone, and Jaime Varner both of whom will probably reach carreer high stardom with their fued. Its a complete joke to put him on Melendez's level.

Let's get CB Dollaway against John Fitch next while we're making matches...


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
He also smashed Crusher Kawajiri, Beat Clay Guida, and avenged Ishida. And he also outgrappled Rodrigo Damm. And Thompson is a glorified brawler? lol you're reaching... Josh Thompson is very well rounded, solid striking, wrestling, tdd, scrambles dude is a beast. You're just not giving Gilbert his due.

Melendez may not be exciting to you, but he's world class. Make no mistake.

Benson has only beat Cerrone, and Jaime Varner both of whom will probably reach carreer high stardom with their fued. Its a complete joke to put him on Melendez's level.

Let's get CB Dollaway against John Fitch next while we're making matches...
Melendez BARELY beat Guida and honestly Clay Guida is about the same level I see Melendez being at and also about the same level I see Bendo at. I realize Bendo has yet to really fight a guy who would even be a gatekeeper in the UFC but he has looked impressive beating solid opponents. I honestly think that as much as your dumping on Varner and Cerrone they are on the same level as a guy like Josh Thompson.


Here is my (American) LW hierarchy

Frankie Edgar/BJ Penn

Gray Maynard/Kenny Florian

Sherk/Dunham/Melendez/Bendo/Guida/Sanchez

Joe Stevenson/Thompson/Varner/Cerrone




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Melendez BARELY beat Guida and honestly Clay Guida is about the same level I see Melendez being at and also about the same level I see Bendo at. I realize Bendo has yet to really fight a guy who would even be a gatekeeper in the UFC but he has looked impressive beating solid opponents. I honestly think that as much as your dumping on Varner and Cerrone they are on the same level as a guy like Josh Thompson.


Here is my (American) LW hierarchy

Frankie Edgar/BJ Penn

Gray Maynard/Kenny Florian

Sherk/Dunham/Melendez/Bendo/Guida/Sanchez

Joe Stevenson/Thompson/Varner/Cerrone
I disagree on almost every count. And Melendez has shown heavy improvent where Guida has proven to not develop all around skills as effective. In fact I'd take Thompson over Clay Guida in a rematch anyday.

My Heiarchy for American LWs would go....

Edgar/Penn
Melendez/Maynard/Sherk
Florian/Alvarez/Miller/Sotty/Dunham
Guida/Thompson/Noons/Bendo


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome