Diaz lost a fan tonight. - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,911
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I don't recall anyone in this thread calling Diaz a "bum".
I wasn't referring to this thread. I'm referring a number of posts I've read about him over the years on this forum.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,378
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
I wasn't referring to this thread. I'm referring a number of posts I've read about him over the years on this forum.
Really? I see nothing but love for the guy most of the time. The only bashing comes from people that don't like the Diaz brothers' mentality and personalities. Most times, even from people that are rubbed the wrong way, I hear that people think he is a good, tough fighter. And I have read many posts about how people wanted to see Diaz vs. GSP.

I just think it is hard to rate fighters who are beating unranked fighters. It isn't his fault and I'm sure he would fight anyone. But at some point one has to look at who he is beating. I would bet that Kos, Alves, GSP, Shields would all finish Noons in a 5 round fight. Credit Noons, but Diaz just went to a real close decision with a guy that isn't top 10 and new to the weight class.

Either way Diaz is a top 10 fighter, even if it is at the bottom 3rd of the top 10. And he is a pretty exciting fighter as well.
jonnyg4508 is online now  
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,911
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I would bet that Kos, Alves, GSP, Shields would all finish Noons in a 5 round fight. Credit Noons, but Diaz just went to a real close decision with a guy that isn't top 10 and new to the weight class.

Either way Diaz is a top 10 fighter, even if it is at the bottom 3rd of the top 10. And he is a pretty exciting fighter as well.
How can you be sure they would? K.J. might just be that good. We haven't seen Nick struggle against an opponent like that since... well shit since the last time he fought Noons.

He beat Lawler and choked out Gomi easier than he beat K.J.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to admit that K.J. might just be a tough son of a bitch...

They automatically make remarks like "0mFg!! he'd get wRekked by Kuschak in teh UFC"

These UFC comparisons sound so damn paranoid it's ridiculous. I used to to hear the same crap about Jake Shields on this board when he was fighting at WW.

Than the #2 MW in the world came in from the UFC and got mangled by Shields.

Why is it hard to see potential in a prospect from another org? Why do fans have to automatically start defending the UFCs honor when nobody's even talking about the UFC?


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,378
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
How can you be sure they would? K.J. might just be that good. We haven't seen Nick struggle against an opponent like that since... well shit since the last time he fought Noons.

He beat Lawler and choked out Gomi easier than he beat K.J.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to admit that K.J. might just be a tough son of a bitch...

They automatically make remarks like "0mFg!! he'd get wRekked by Kuschak in teh UFC"

These UFC comparisons sound so damn paranoid it's ridiculous. I used to to hear the same crap about Jake Shields on this board when he was fighting at WW.

Than the #2 MW in the world came in from the UFC and got mangled by Shields.

Why is it hard to see potential in a prospect from another org? Why do fans have to automatically start defending the UFCs honor when nobody's even talking about the UFC?
The UFC was mentioned in a post before I even started posting in it. From there I made my case for why he wouldn't make huge waves in the UFC but would be a competitive fighter for the division.

All I am saying and really said is it is hard to rate a fighter when they haven't fought a ranked guy in a while. It is just tough to do....I don't see how that isn't fair to say..
jonnyg4508 is online now  
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,911
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
All I am saying and really said is it is hard to rate a fighter when they haven't fought a ranked guy in a while. It is just tough to do....I don't see how that isn't fair to say..
Really? Okay because I was responding to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I laugh at the thought that he would make waves in the UFC.
The reality is that Nick Diaz would outstrike almost every single UFC WW. And his ground game would put him in the top 5 easy.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM
box
M.I.A
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,550
                     
Me personally, I see the potential in all organizations, but, I know the top dogs sit in the UFC, especially at 170. Fitch, Koscheck, Gsp, would be a world of trouble for Diaz, and i'm one of Diaz's longtime fans. None of those three will play toe to toe like alot have for Diaz recently.

More than anything though, I WANT to see those fights, he's at the level that he deserves those type of fights. All respect to Noons, and the rest at 170 in strikeforce, but they don't compare in this case.
box is offline  
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 240
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
The reality is that Nick Diaz would outstrike almost every single UFC WW. And his ground game would put him in the top 5 easy.
Maybe, but Nick gets hit entirely too much to win consistently against other top ten fighters.
The thug mentality isn't gonna keep him from get Ko'd.
I think if him and Diego Sanchez re-matched it would probably look like the exact same fight. He doesn't really have the one punch KO power so the elite wrestlers are going to get a hold of him and probably outwork him on the ground.
Exiting fighter? Yes. Smart Fighter? No.
Yojimbo is offline  
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,991
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Maybe, but Nick gets hit entirely too much to win consistently against other top ten fighters.
The thug mentality isn't gonna keep him from get Ko'd.
I think if him and Diego Sanchez re-matched it would probably look like the exact same fight. He doesn't really have the one punch KO power so the elite wrestlers are going to get a hold of him and probably outwork him on the ground.
Exiting fighter? Yes. Smart Fighter? No.
Nick has a granite chin. You're right that wrestlers will hold him down but KO him? No way. He's fought some really powerful strikers and only been legit finished once in 2002 in the fifth fight of his career. No way is Nick's chin going to be a problem, but being outpointed is a very real possibility.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,911
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Maybe, but Nick gets hit entirely too much to win consistently against other top ten fighters.
The thug mentality isn't gonna keep him from get Ko'd.
Exiting fighter? Yes. Smart Fighter? No.
Because he's not afraid to take 2 just to give 1 is a thug mentality? Nah, he knows hes has a strong chin. And I don't see too many UFC WWs knocking him out in a striking match.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 AM
Shogun
 
mmaswe82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,091
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RIVAL_ View Post
Because he's not afraid to take 2 just to give 1 is a thug mentality? Nah, he knows hes has a strong chin. And I don't see too many UFC WWs knocking him out in a striking match.
I agree, he can get hit by the best of them.... and I don't see strikers being the real threat to him, neither submission experts.
The ones that will be hard for him to deal with are wrestlers with good sub-defence, like Shiels, Fitch, GSP and such. He would get blanketed and UD'd by most of the top wrestlers who don't have Chael Sonnen syndrome.
But I can definitely see him being top 5 in the UFC WW div.
mmaswe82 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome