MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   General MMA Discussion (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/)
-   -   Fedor to become first replacment if an injury happens in the tournament. (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/87540-fedor-become-first-replacment-if-injury-happens-tournament.html)

SideWays222 02-13-2011 06:00 AM

Fedor to become first replacment if an injury happens in the tournament.
 
Quote:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. Although the MMA legend hinted at retirement following a second-round TKO loss to Antonio Silva, Fedor Emelianenko's fighting career may not be over.

Both Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and Emelianenko's agent, M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein, want the 34-year-old to continue.

And Coker could dangle an intriguing opportunity should Emelianenko wish to continue fighting: first dibs on any alternate spots that open in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix.

Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) headlined Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" event at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. After a close first round, Silva unloaded a brutal ground-and-pound assault in the second. With the Russian's right eye swollen shut, the cageside physician halted the bout after before the start of the third round, which resulted in Emelianenko's second consecutive defeat since a legendary decade-long win streak.

The bout was part of the opening round of Strikeforce's eight-man, season-long heavyweight tournament. And though three tourney-reserve bouts populated Saturday's main card, any available alternate spots instead could go to Emelianenko.

"There's absolutely a possibility he could be a replacement," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the show. "That's the beauty of the tournament. You don't know what could happen in the next leg of the tournament. As this tournament unwinds over the year, there could be an injury, and you could see Fedor back in the tournament."

Decisions about injury replacements ultimately will be made by a Strikeforce committee, as Coker previously announced. And though Shane Del Rosario, Chad Griggs and Valentijn Overeem all won reserve bouts at Saturday's show, Emelianenko could cut to the front of the line.

Emelianenko undoubtedly would be the biggest draw of the four. But Coker said there would be other reasons for the selection. Namely, that Silva vs. Emelianenko was cut short by an injury.

"It was a tough fight out there," Coker said. "Like Alistair (Overeem) said, Fedor always comes back in the third round. But he didn't get a chance today. (With) the stoppage today, I don't think Fedor could see. He may have even had an orbital fracture, but safety comes first. He'll have another day."

Regardless, Coker said he and Emelianenko, who recently signed a new multi-fight deal with Strikeforce, have plenty of bouts ahead. Neither he nor Finkelchtein appeared to take Emelianenko's retirement talk seriously.

"You know how that goes," Coker said. "Guys get very emotional after fights. We'll see."

Finkelchtein, who said the doctor's stoppage was "the right decision," thinks Emelianenko may have just been emotional when he mentioned the possibility of retiring.

"I think Fedor was just upset," he said. "That decision, of course, belongs to Fedor. But I think I know him well, and I think he's full so full of strength. I think he will continue."

Emelianenko, arguably the greatest heavyweight in MMA history and one of the sport's most accomplished fighters, suffered a June loss to Fabricio Werdum, which snapped a staggering 27-fight win streak. The former PRIDE champion now has suffered consecutive defeats.
Lawl.. i think its funny that he uses the doctors stoppage as a way to justify this.

BUT

I know this is wrong and the people who won their matches should be the replacements. My selfish side wants FEDOR back in the tournament and i personally think the man has done so much in MMA that he has every damn right to cut anyone he wants in line and the people behind him should be bowing down like Silva bowed down after he won.

:praise01: :praise01: :praise01: :praise01: :praise01: :praise01:

TraMaI 02-13-2011 06:42 AM

He'll just get crushed again fighting anyone other than Barnett... Also, you can't tell that SF is all over trying to hype Fedor really hard at all. I mean, having a pretty convincing loss )Match was at 20-17 IMO) like that and then getting to cut in front of dudes like Lil' Reem?

I bet after Fedor retires or gets beat again and then retires Strikeforce folds shortly thereafter. Bellator having a deal with MTV should look to expand into bigger weight classes and snatch up their left overs, if the UFC doesn't gank 'em all first!

SideWays222 02-13-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraMaI (Post 1361256)
He'll just get crushed again fighting anyone other than Barnett... Also, you can't tell that SF is all over trying to hype Fedor really hard at all. I mean, having a pretty convincing loss )Match was at 20-17 IMO) like that and then getting to cut in front of dudes like Lil' Reem?

I bet after Fedor retires or gets beat again and then retires Strikeforce folds shortly thereafter. Bellator having a deal with MTV should look to expand into bigger weight classes and snatch up their left overs, if the UFC doesn't gank 'em all first!

Really?? You think he could only beat Barnett?? Thats seems like a pretty silly statement. I think Fedor has a good chance at beating Brett Rodgers (Again), AA(Who Lost), Sergei, Barnett, And i personally think that Fedor would knock Werdum out in a rematch. I just dont see Werdum getting the chance to sub Fedor if they fought again. Im pretty much only convinced that Antonio and Overeem would beat him and that's because of the size they both posses. And i dont think this is the case for Overeem BUT i think Fedor still has a good punches chance against Antonio Silva. Those punches were getting pretty close to nailing the big man and if that LHW fighter (I cant think of his name right now) was able to put Antonio on his ass then i think there is a possibility for Fedor to do the same.

Also, the StrikeForce statement. Do you have any recent articles to support that claim?? Im just curious because i dont know much about SF current Financial situation. I would imagine they are doing decently well because this tournament has brought them alot of exposure and i actually know a few people that know the difference between Strikeforce and the UFC now. About a year ago that was nearly impossible to find, and i LIVE in San Jose which is SF home.
But i certainly dont think that SF is dependent on Fedor like some other organizations were. With or without him i believe that they will either succeed and create a stable following or not be able to accomplish that goal and have to fold. Sure Fedor is a bonus for SF but im guessing that he gets paid in the 7 figure range which i dont know if he is worth it. His popularity in the states isnt anything to brag about. They have Overeem who i believe gets paid 6 figures (i have nothing to support that statement). He is extremely talented with lots of accomplishments on his resume and a very intimidating appearance. He could very well become more popular then Fedor if they market him correctly. He could become their "Chuck Liddel".

Buakaw_GSP 02-13-2011 12:36 PM

I think Fedor should not be allowed back, it ruins the very essence of a tournament if an original participant is allowed to come back after getting "eliminated". Strike Force is going to get ridiculed if that happened. But it wont be the first time, Strike Force does seem to like getting slammed and ridiculed....

hixxy 02-13-2011 12:43 PM

Imagine that... Fedor comes back for say the final and wins.. The winner of the Strikeforce tournament has a record of 1-1 in the tournament and the losing finalist has a record of 2-1 in the tournament... Would make it a farce if this was to happen..

jonnyg4508 02-13-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buakaw_GSP (Post 1361389)
I think Fedor should not be allowed back, it ruins the very essence of a tournament if an original participant is allowed to come back after getting "eliminated". Strike Force is going to get ridiculed if that happened. But it wont be the first time, Strike Force does seem to like getting slammed and ridiculed....

Yea doesn't make much sense to me. I really don't understand why they would do this. Why have the other fighters fight and told they are the alternates then? So if it was Silva who lost, he would never get that chance.

Makes no sense and ruins the feel of the tournament.

Rusko 02-13-2011 12:55 PM

Lmao Fedor had great chance beating Silva. He lost a round out of 3.

but I also disagree on fedor being the first replacement, he had his shot.

_RIVAL_ 02-13-2011 01:26 PM

This is crap.

Shane Del Rosario deserves that spot.

Rastaman 02-13-2011 01:29 PM

Wow what a joke, Del Rosario totally deserves to fight if one of them gets injured. In a way, a doctor's stoppage means that person got dominated much moreso than most TKO's....

TraMaI 02-13-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWays222 (Post 1361265)
Really?? You think he could only beat Barnett?? Thats seems like a pretty silly statement. I think Fedor has a good chance at beating Brett Rodgers (Again), AA(Who Lost), Sergei, Barnett, And i personally think that Fedor would knock Werdum out in a rematch. I just dont see Werdum getting the chance to sub Fedor if they fought again. Im pretty much only convinced that Antonio and Overeem would beat him and that's because of the size they both posses. And i dont think this is the case for Overeem BUT i think Fedor still has a good punches chance against Antonio Silva. Those punches were getting pretty close to nailing the big man and if that LHW fighter (I cant think of his name right now) was able to put Antonio on his ass then i think there is a possibility for Fedor to do the same.

The reason I said Barnett is because I don't think Rogers has a chance of beating him... he may but I don't see it happening at least. Kharitonov I think would out point and possibly KO Fedor. Werdum would end the same way, the man's BJJ is just WAY too good IMO. Allistair I don't see losing to Fedor period. So yes he could beat Rogers but I don't think he'll get the chance, he may be Sergei as well, but Sergei is legit and I think he'd beat him the hell up standing. Barnett I don't think has anything at all f or Fedor.

Quote:


Also, the StrikeForce statement. Do you have any recent articles to support that claim?? Im just curious because i dont know much about SF current Financial situation. I would imagine they are doing decently well because this tournament has brought them alot of exposure and i actually know a few people that know the difference between Strikeforce and the UFC now. About a year ago that was nearly impossible to find, and i LIVE in San Jose which is SF home.
But i certainly dont think that SF is dependent on Fedor like some other organizations were. With or without him i believe that they will either succeed and create a stable following or not be able to accomplish that goal and have to fold. Sure Fedor is a bonus for SF but im guessing that he gets paid in the 7 figure range which i dont know if he is worth it. His popularity in the states isnt anything to brag about. They have Overeem who i believe gets paid 6 figures (i have nothing to support that statement). He is extremely talented with lots of accomplishments on his resume and a very intimidating appearance. He could very well become more popular then Fedor if they market him correctly. He could become their "Chuck Liddel".
I don't have anything supporting it, no, but look at Affliction, Bodog and the other places Fedor has went and how quickly thereafter they folded. I know SF has a lot more money than them, but it seems Fedor crushes every organization he goes to. Add to that that SF won't be able to put on a high selling PPV for quite a while since their two biggest draws (Reem and Fedor) aren't going to work out. Fedor is 1-2 in SF, Reem isn't exclusively contracted so he's going to constantly go to Japan and K-1 and fight like once a year in SF, which isn't enough to support an entire organization at all. If SF has any hope of not folding it's to put on well selling PPV Cards and I don't think they have the star power to do it. Even if they try, the UFC will counter it by putting their own on either for free or a pretty big PPV and just absolutely crush them as far as sales go. Couple that with M-1 hogging a bunch of their money and Fedor's (I think) obviously stupid huge paycheck (The UFC offered him like 6mil for 3 fights) and with him now losing, you have a recipe for disaster.

Quote:

Lmao Fedor had great chance beating Silva. He lost a round out of 3.

but I also disagree on fedor being the first replacement, he had his shot.
IMO he lost 2 out of 2 rounds and he lost the second one HUGE (10-8, he did NOTHING). I also feel like StrikeForce saying "Fedor COULD be back in the tournament" menas he will be, which makes me think this is terribly fishy. I really hope SF doesn't somehow try to fix this or fanangle it somehow and totally blow any and all credibility they have.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2