Golden Glory statement re: Zuffa cuts - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
SmackyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 973
SmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For GreatnessSmackyBear Is Destined For Greatness
Golden Glory statement re: Zuffa cuts

I thought about putting this in the UFC section, but thought that since JOE was the only UFC fighter released from GG, the Strikeforce section was more appropriate. If the mods think the UFC section is better, please feel free to move it.

Quote:
Fighters Only has obtained an exclusive statement from Golden Glory head Bas Boon regarding the recent fall out with Zuffa which saw Alistair Overeem, Marloes Coenen, Jon Olav Einemo and Valentijn Overeem dropped from their respective Strikeforce and UFC contracts.

UFC president Dana White said the crux of the disagreement was Golden Glory’s business practices, mainly an insistence that fighter monies be paid to Golden Glory and not to the fighter directly. It was also rumoured that Overeem’s negotiations on a new contract went sour thanks to hardball negotiating tactics from the Dutch side, angering the Zuffa hierarchy.

Interestingly, Boon also alludes to conversations with Scott Coker (Strikeforce CEO) about a deal he was trying to broker which would have been “a massive move for becoming a real competitor to the UFC”. Fighters Only heard some time ago that Golden Glory was looking at expanding into stateside promotions, which the UFC did not like.

Bas Boon replied to a Fighters Only email today:

First of all we would like to thank all the support of the fans.

The Golden Glory management discussed before coming to the US about the payment situation and it was agreed to speak with a Zuffa lawyer about this in Vancouver, to find a solution.

There was a contract in place and Golden Glory and Einemo honored the UFC rules including getting the check on the fighters name (Einemo showed his check in the gym as well which was on his name and Alistair and Valentijn also confirmed their payment was done by check in their name).

The Zuffa lawyer explained that the fighters could open an account at a bank were the UFC did their banking and the check would clear in only two days instead of 6 weeks till 8 weeks (that's how long it takes to clear a check in a foreign country which was also an issue for some of the fighters) and they could then transfer the amount to the final destination at their choice. They were thankful and did this.

The reason that the Golden Glory management company is doing this business for the GG fighters for over 12 years with payment dirrectly to the management company is for the benefit of the fighters, coaches and trainers are paid on time and the management company will take care of bookkeeper and taxes and exchange rates and legal help for the fighters.

We have many fighters from many different parts of the world and also have gyms in Berlin Germany, Liverpool England, Pattaya Thailand, California USA, Bucharest Romania, Moscow Russia and three gyms in Holland. Golden Glory is growing on an international level and we are working with one management company to coordinate these businesses.

Fighters only sign agreements with promoters if coaches, trainers, management and the fighter agree with the terms, regardless to whom the payment will be done.

The Strikeforce situation was different.

Behind the scene I was preparing a great deal for corporation between Strikeforce, Dream, K-1 and Glory to do something great together with Scott ( this included a tv channel and footage deal). I introduced Scott thru a partner of mine in LA to some powerful people in the US (Scott was very surprised after this meeting and exited and mailed me after his meeting with these people how impressed he was). I never could have guessed that at the same moment I was talking to Scott to make a massive move for becoming a real competitor to the UFC, Scott was already talking with the same UFC for selling Strikeforce.

Scott told me that he had partners and that there were financial difficulties with Strikeforce and any new TV or other deal they would welcome. As I am a producer as well ( produced more then 1000 hour of fighting content) and also made tons of other deals for promoters (like the K-1 live broadcasting on the dutch Tv Channel SBS6) I trusted Scott with some business plans as I knew Scott from the time he was a promoter for K-1 and we all wanted to move forward in the fight business.

Scott convinced me to start working with strikeforce, we always had a better deal in Japan and Europe, but as K-1 was having a lot of difficulties and Scott giving us all the terms we wanted, we started taking steps to do more and more business with strikeforce.

The problems with Strikeforce was that we made some agreements with Scott which were creating headaches now Zuffa took over.

The fighters were paid in the previous Strikeforce bouts to an account of the management without any problems, yet UFC claimed this was impossible. Then the fighters were loosing sponsors as the UFC took over Strikeforce as they implemented their new rules. If you can sponsor the fighter you should sponsor the organization first.

I understand this from a business point of few, but some companies can’t effort to pay 100K or more to an organization. And some fighters getting 5 or 10K in sponsorship is were they actually can make some good money. We just wanted the things as they were before, but it was far from what it was before. The payment was done how the UFC wanted and again we agreed and did the same as in Vancouver, so that matter was solved , so I do not understand why Dana claims we did not agree?

We did not have a choice and never said we would not fight in the future or that we would refuse to work like this in the future (we worked out that problem with the Zuffa lawyer in the Vancouver and even agreed with their new sponsor policies). Maybe there is a miscommunication and Danna was not well informed that the direct payment issue was solved and no longer an issue as I myself have been in and out hospital for two weeks because of heath issues ( the reason why this press release is so late).

Anyway we regret the response from Zuffa and the releases, but it is their company and they can do what they want, we would like to keep working in the future with the UFC and with this statement I cleary say that direct payment to any of our fighter was not a problem and will not be a problem in the future.

We just want to be able to produce great fighters and create great fights for the fans, we have no intention for Co-promotion deals and are even willing to make an exclusive deal for Alistair Overeem to fight in the UFC, if the terms are right.
Source.
__________________
Some people think that they can convey either a philosophy on life or a complex political statement using a signature on the internet. I'm not one of them.
SmackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 7,526
Blog Entries: 1
oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
__________________
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
KillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Makes be laugh how everyone listens to DW lies and takes his side, what he is saying about sponsorship is the truth, we all know that the UFC does not let its fighters be sponsored by anyone who does not sponsor the UFC as well, in effect the UFC is always taking a cut of the sponsorship money played to the fighters, and there DW comes out taking out his ass making it sound like they are all about supporting the fighters, Bull Sh1t Dana this coming from a company that own gives a fcuk about its self, that is willing to destroy other promotions, that is willing ot cut fighters over name rights to a video game, that pays its fighters sh1t in relation to the income it makes from each show.

FCUK DANA WHITE FCUK THE UFC AND FCUK SCOTT COKER FOR SELLING OUT THE GREEDY FAT FCUK, I swear I hope to god that showtime continue to show MMA and bring the sport back into the game above the business issues, the only way they can do this now is to cut Strikeforce and start up a new promotion, they will be able to get some good fighters like the Reem to start with and be able to build from the ground up, the fans are there who are pissed with Zuffa Bull Shit who will support a new promotion.

Anyone who cares anything for the sport must see that teh way Zuffa do business is a disgrace, any true fan is sure not going to want to miss the fights they show I understand that but dont give any money to these greedy fcukers, Stream your UFC shows live or download the next day, don't buy PPV's dont even watch on channels like ESPN even if you are subscribed to the channel, kill its ratings and watch online for free.

You want more prof that Dana speaks out of his ass, his own words "business as usual" that was the first promise Zuffa and DW made to the fans after the take over, they even promised to help promote and grow SF to bring in new fighters, they openly said some fighters would even leave the UFC and go to SF, what happened to these promises DW?, how the fcuk can this be defined as business as usual?

Everything relating to the SF take over from Zuffa has been one lie after another from the very start to the very end, all this time they have been saying the will do oen thing while completely doing the opposite, typical Zuffa propaganda these lying greedy fcukers are just pissing on the shoes of the fans while telling them that its raining.
__________________

KillerShark1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Toroian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 816
Toroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the rough
Well well well the plot thickens...
__________________
"I tried to punch him, and he literally moved his head out of the way and looked at me like I was stupid for doing It"
- Forest Griffin

NPFFL: Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko, Shane Carwin, Chris Leben
Toroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
canning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28
canning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enoughcanning will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
Makes be laugh how everyone listens to DW lies and takes his side, what he is saying about sponsorship is the truth, we all know that the UFC does not let its fighters be sponsored by anyone who does not sponsor the UFC as well, in effect the UFC is always taking a cut of the sponsorship money played to the fighters, and there DW comes out taking out his ass making it sound like they are all about supporting the fighters, Bull Sh1t Dana this coming from a company that own gives a fcuk about its self, that is willing to destroy other promotions, that is willing ot cut fighters over name rights to a video game, that pays its fighters sh1t in relation to the income it makes from each show.

FCUK DANA WHITE FCUK THE UFC AND FCUK SCOTT COKER FOR SELLING OUT THE GREEDY FAT FCUK, I swear I hope to god that showtime continue to show MMA and bring the sport back into the game above the business issues, the only way they can do this now is to cut Strikeforce and start up a new promotion, they will be able to get some good fighters like the Reem to start with and be able to build from the ground up, the fans are there who are pissed with Zuffa Bull Shit who will support a new promotion.

Anyone who cares anything for the sport must see that teh way Zuffa do business is a disgrace, any true fan is sure not going to want to miss the fights they show I understand that but dont give any money to these greedy fcukers, Stream your UFC shows live or download the next day, don't buy PPV's dont even watch on channels like ESPN even if you are subscribed to the channel, kill its ratings and watch online for free.

You want more prof that Dana speaks out of his ass, his own words "business as usual" that was the first promise Zuffa and DW made to the fans after the take over, they even promised to help promote and grow SF to bring in new fighters, they openly said some fighters would even leave the UFC and go to SF, what happened to these promises DW?, how the fcuk can this be defined as business as usual?

Everything relating to the SF take over from Zuffa has been one lie after another from the very start to the very end, all this time they have been saying the will do oen thing while completely doing the opposite, typical Zuffa propaganda these lying greedy fcukers are just pissing on the shoes of the fans while telling them that its raining.
You seem upset.
canning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
KillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemKillerShark1985 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by canning View Post
You seem upset.
I think you will find there are a large number of MMA fans upset by numerous moves Zuffa has made in order to try and dictate the sport.

End of the day its like this, MMA was a baby when Zuffa got involved, naturally that baby grew but with it Zuffa was able to take the credit and even help with its development, only now its big enough to stand on its own to feet without Zuffa to hold its hand.

Some may say well since Zuffa raised it it has the right to keep hold of its grip and take the benefits, which I would be 100% agreed with except Zuffa abuses that baby, cuts sh1tty deals for the fighters, stops other promotions from developing into the main stream whi ch in turn would help develop the sport by giving pro fighters more homes to work at outside of the UFC, Zuffa's greed and its ambition to own the monopoly of the entire sport it now destroying the sport, right now all is well if you are in the UFC which is only a very small number of athletes compared to the number that could be competing professionally in the sport, but away from the UFC the sport is been destroyed, fighters can't make a living out of it and will lead to less quality as less what could of been great fighters turn professional knowing that unless they make the UFC there is no point, and lest be fair the UFC is more about marketability of its fighters than it is about talent.

But its cool because I know Zuffa will lose this battle one day because someone like Showtime will see that there are now enough fans for the sport to be worth there air time and they will start to run it like they run boxing where it doe snot matter if you are at the right camp or if you give a good interview, if you can fight you can fight and will get the chance climb the ranks and compete on the air, and there are plenty of homes for fighters to compete and make a decent living, and there is no DW saying you can never be part of our sport because you did no agree to bow down and suck to his terms.

End of the day the UFC may always be around but they cant continue to stop the raise of every other promotion that start to get recognition as an A class promotion forever.
__________________

KillerShark1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Big_Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 869
Big_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
I think you will find there are a large number of MMA fans upset by numerous moves Zuffa has made in order to try and dictate the sport.

End of the day its like this, MMA was a baby when Zuffa got involved, naturally that baby grew but with it Zuffa was able to take the credit and even help with its development, only now its big enough to stand on its own to feet without Zuffa to hold its hand.

Some may say well since Zuffa raised it it has the right to keep hold of its grip and take the benefits, which I would be 100% agreed with except Zuffa abuses that baby, cuts sh1tty deals for the fighters, stops other promotions from developing into the main stream whi ch in turn would help develop the sport by giving pro fighters more homes to work at outside of the UFC, Zuffa's greed and its ambition to own the monopoly of the entire sport it now destroying the sport, right now all is well if you are in the UFC which is only a very small number of athletes compared to the number that could be competing professionally in the sport, but away from the UFC the sport is been destroyed, fighters can't make a living out of it and will lead to less quality as less what could of been great fighters turn professional knowing that unless they make the UFC there is no point, and lest be fair the UFC is more about marketability of its fighters than it is about talent.
Quoted for truth

As MMA fans, we should all be very wary of what's to come. It's highly likely we will see more and more talent flock to Japan/Europe because of Zuffa's antics.

__________________
R.I.P. PRIDE FC

Fedor-Shogun-Overeem-Cro Cop-Silva-Gomi-Henderson-Jackson

2014 NPFFL

Jon Jones . Travis Browne . Demian Maia. Cain Velasquez. Fabricio Werdum
Big_Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,275
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
I'm not even able to express how I feel about some of Zuffa's business tactis. Making sponsors pay 100k to the UFC first before they're allowed to sponsor fighters for 5 or 10k is just f*cked up on so many levels. Now it seems Golden Glory fighters were cut for no reason at all and this all conveniently happened just when one of them was on the verge of becoming very expensive.
__________________


Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm
Hammerlock2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,738
SM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSM33 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
I'm not even able to express how I feel about some of Zuffa's business tactis. Making sponsors pay 100k to the UFC first before they're allowed to sponsor fighters for 5 or 10k is just f*cked up on so many levels. Now it seems Golden Glory fighters were cut for no reason at all and this all conveniently happened just when one of them was on the verge of becoming very expensive.
No, what's f*cked up on so many levels is the average MMAForum poster's business sense, and their need to comment on the UFC's business practises.

When a company sponsors a fighter and gets to put a little logo on their shorts, or make them wear a cap and t-shirt after the fight, they are advertising themselves and their product. This leads to more interest in and more sales contracts for their product. Hence, you do not get to advertise[SPONSOR] for free.

100K may seem like a lot to you, but these companies will generate a lot more than 100K off the back of the sponsorship. Global advertising is normally a case of millions, 100K is pennies.

As for the fighters, I'm sure most of them are quite happy to wear a cap for 90 seconds in return for 10 grand, I'm sure they don't really care what the UFC is being paid to let them have the sponsorship.

It's all relative. 10K is good money to wear a cap, 100K is cheap to advertise in 100+ countries, everyone is happy.
__________________
SM33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Rockstar189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 305
Rockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really niceRockstar189 is just really nice
Everybody hates on Zuffa but the fact is they are responsible for the sport of MMA. They saved an entire industry from the edge of death and now are reaping the rewards. No other MMA organization will ever have the success or longevity the UFC has enjoyed. They are simply leveraging the fact that they own the sport of MMA. The biggest downside to this is the point fighting, and the fact that people are literally fighting for their jobs.

I miss the WEC. Theres just something about that small cage that tickled my fancy without reminding me of Zuffa politics..
Rockstar189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios