--What do you think are the best disciplines to possess as an MMA fighter-- - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
 
--What do you think are the best disciplines to possess as an MMA fighter--

Hi I was interested in finding out what people's opinion's were in what they think are the best disciplines to train in for MMA.

We have arguments all the time in our gym in what we think are the most needed ( we have a mixture of Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing and BJJ) oh and a couple of Karate guys.

I'm a firm believer in Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ.

Be interested to see what other people think.

Last edited by K R Y; 10-25-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Link removed.
jollymans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,889
                     
This topic has been hashed over a few times but the answer is wrestling. If you look at the UFC right now (which is not ALL MMA but clearly the majority of high level fighters) and look at the top 20 fighters in each weight class I'm betting the background you see the most is wrestling.
Drogo is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 561
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymans View Post
Hi I was interested in finding out what people's opinion's were in what they think are the best disciplines to train in for MMA.

We have arguments all the time in our gym in what we think are the most needed ( we have a mixture of Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing and BJJ) oh and a couple of Karate guys.

I'm a firm believer in Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ.

Be interested to see what other people think.


Training and Nutrition Advice
I don't see the point of this discussion if you are going to pick 3 or 4 disciplines.

If we're limiting this to one discipline, I'd have to go with wrestling as well.

A good wrestler is going to be able to take most people down for points, and control the round. It's not always the case, but a good wrestler is hard to stop.
RedRocket44 is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Bantamweight
 
MMAnWEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 910
                     
- Strikers dominate on the feet.
- Grapplers dominate on the ground.
- Wrestlers determine where the fight goes.
- An elite wrestler with a bit of BJJ and muay thai training is a threat to anyone on the planet in the division.

Conclusion: Wrestling FTW
MMAnWEED is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 AM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10,115
                     
A disgusting guard.

Wrestlers are overrated, they stall out on the ground and make mistakes all the time, if you have a crazy active and dangerous guard that includes BOTH subs and sweeps you're free to sell out on the feet because it doesn't matter if you get taken down.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 13,083
                     
I believe the ideal fighter should have kickboxing and catchwrestling. A fighter should be able to stand and have no problem and be able to take a person down and either get a TKO or submission, however this being MMA my core belief is that a solid striking and ground game is waht is neeeded above my personal prefernces. Variations of my core belief can be found in most if not all of the major promotional champions in Cain Valesquez (wrestling, boxing), Jon Jones (wrestling, kickboxing), Anderson Silva (muai thai,BJJ), GSP (karate, wrestling), Frankie Edgar (wrestling, boxing), Jose Aldo (muai thai, BJJ), Dominick Cruz (wrestling, boxing), Gilbert Melendez (boxing, AJJ), Meisha Tate (catch wrestling, boxing), Cole Konrad (wrestling, boxing), Hector Lombard (judo, boxing), Ben Askren (wrestling, BJJ, kickboxing) etc.

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Bantamweight
 
MMAnWEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
A disgusting guard.

Wrestlers are overrated, they stall out on the ground and make mistakes all the time, if you have a crazy active and dangerous guard that includes BOTH subs and sweeps you're free to sell out on the feet because it doesn't matter if you get taken down.
I disagree. If we're talking about overall success rate, the wrestler, who may or may not be stalling, typically wins way more often. Let me put it this way:

In an MMA fight with rounds:
A great wrestler with decent BJJ > A great BJJ fighter with decent wrestling

In an MMA fight without rounds(obviously no major organization):
A great BJJ fighter with decent wrestling > A great wrestler with decent BJJ

Conclusion: for real life practicality, BJJ is the way to go but for MMA practicality, its wresting FTW
MMAnWEED is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
HiiiPoWeR
 
Rauno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 17,676
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
A disgusting guard.

Wrestlers are overrated, they stall out on the ground and make mistakes all the time, if you have a crazy active and dangerous guard that includes BOTH subs and sweeps you're free to sell out on the feet because it doesn't matter if you get taken down.
Don't know about that, Pettis and Torres showed very good and active guards against Guida and Johnson respectively and still lost.

Rauno is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 80
                     
it all depends on you, what's your body type? if you are short and stocky learn wrestling and try boxing, if your tall and fast do alot of boxing and jujitsu or submissions. muay thai is good too if you have long limbs. do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else if taekwondo or karate work for you than use it, make your own personal style.
grkted55 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10,115
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAnWEED View Post
I disagree. If we're talking about overall success rate, the wrestler, who may or may not be stalling, typically wins way more often. Let me put it this way:

In an MMA fight with rounds:
A great wrestler with decent BJJ > A great BJJ fighter with decent wrestling

In an MMA fight without rounds(obviously no major organization):
A great BJJ fighter with decent wrestling > A great wrestler with decent BJJ

Conclusion: for real life practicality, BJJ is the way to go but for MMA practicality, its wresting FTW
In a system that is designed for boxing, where a take down wins a round, yeah wrestling will win fights, but you can take me down a hundred times, if I can get back up and light you up or sweep you to your back where you are uncomfortable you're going to be a world of trouble. Where if I'm sick off my back, you can't put me somewhere I'm uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
Don't know about that, Pettis and Torres showed very good and active guards against Guida and Johnson respectively and still lost.
They showed SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS ONLY, they did very little to try to sweep the respective wrestler each one fought.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome