What is the best sub you ever got? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply

Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
Suvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysworld191 View Post
actually sounds more like he sucks...you should never tap to an Achilles lock, its just a pain move and cant cause any real damage. what was he a black belt in, because aint no effing way its in juijitsu, and if so he should just kill him self. like machida said, hed die before tap to Ortiz. point being a black belt shouldnt lose to anything other than a black belt.
Did you just say an Achilles Lock does no damage? Come on man, are you serious?
Suvaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawaweewa View Post
Did you just say an Achilles Lock does no damage? Come on man, are you serious?
Technically, wally's right on this one. It's impossible to do long term damage with an Achilles Lock. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell, it's a good move if it's done right. What he's saying is that there's no physical danger and so many fighters refuse to tap to it. In fact, the popular dictum in Sambo is that you should never tap to an achilles lock, period.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
Suvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Technically, wally's right on this one. It's impossible to do long term damage with an Achilles Lock. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell, it's a good move if it's done right. What he's saying is that there's no physical danger and so many fighters refuse to tap to it. In fact, the popular dictum in Sambo is that you should never tap to an achilles lock, period.
Well, if done a certain way, an Achilles Lock can also be an ankle lock, therefore the danger of broken bones is present. Also, compression locks can cause damage to tendons. Maybe not a major injury, but damage can, and probably will, be done.
Suvaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawaweewa View Post
Well, if done a certain way, an Achilles Lock can also be an ankle lock, therefore the danger of broken bones is present. Also, compression locks can cause damage to tendons. Maybe not a major injury, but damage can, and probably will, be done.
The ankle is a joint and can only be broken by rotation of the foot. The "ankle lock" isn't an ankle lock at all, it's a slicer, and the traditional ankle lock lacks the leverage to snap the tendon, which is the only way to do serious long term damage.

The only transition from the position is to a heel hook, which is an attack on the ACL/MCL and can cause it to tear or snap off. Still, that's different than the "straight ankle lock" or "achilles lock."

There's no danger of a broken bone because there's no way you can create the leverage to break a bone. (the ankle is not a bone and can't be broken by straight pressure, I've established that already) If you are talking about breaking a bone in the shin, you'd better have some f*cking freakish strength, but it's not very likely.

So, let's revisit the possibilities. What's the worst that you can do?

Bruise the tendon or the calf muscle? That'd take some serious power, but okay, it could happen. Still, it's hardly going to last more than a few days.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
Suvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A Baller
I've heard stories of people not tapping to ankle locks and receiving pretty major injuries, but maybe they were told wrong. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a straight ankle lock can tear ligaments.
Suvaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #46 (permalink)
WAR Irvin
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
ID06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Robbie Lawler bandwagon
Posts: 2,495
ID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level nowID06 is on another level now
You can pop a tendon, that is a serious problem considering there is no blood flowing in a tendon, it takes a very long time to heal
__________________


Fighters to watch
John Salter
Chris 'The Chronic' Conolley
Marcus 'The Bruiser' Brimage
Adrian 'Guard Yo Grill' Miles
Andy Roberts

ID06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #47 (permalink)
"I <3 Trolls"
 
TraMaI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,922
TraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings System
Wow you seriously think there's no damage to an achilles lock? Take your foot and rest it over your knee, then press down on the top part of your foot as hard as you possibly can. When you're done, waddle out to your car and go to the ER and then come back and tell me how many ligiments you tore bro. It's most definately not a "pain lock" like a lot of people seem to think. It can tear ligiments off your toes (very easily) and it can snap the bones in your foot very easily too. Torn ligiments take forever to heal and some never do. And to his credit, he didn't tap out to the pain part. When I had it locked solely around his tendon and the top of his foot it didnt do anything, the guy didnt even wince, but when I slid my shoulder to the top of his foot and started bending his ankle with it is when he tapped.
TraMaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #48 (permalink)
"I <3 Trolls"
 
TraMaI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,922
TraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings SystemTraMaI Is Beyond A Rankings System
http://www.learsmartialarts.com/instructors.htm

thats him btw.
TraMaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #49 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawaweewa View Post
I've heard stories of people not tapping to ankle locks and receiving pretty major injuries, but maybe they were told wrong. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a straight ankle lock can tear ligaments.
Probably heel hooks. People forget the difference alot of the time, and the heel hook can really seriously f*ck up someone's legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID06 View Post
You can pop a tendon, that is a serious problem considering there is no blood flowing in a tendon, it takes a very long time to heal
Not with the leverage from the straight ankle lock. Yes, there are ways you can pop a tendon (calf-slicers and the like). You're right, though. A muscle or a tendon tear will take a long time to heal and most never fully recover.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraMaI View Post
Wow you seriously think there's no damage to an achilles lock? Take your foot and rest it over your knee, then press down on the top part of your foot as hard as you possibly can. When you're done, waddle out to your car and go to the ER and then come back and tell me how many ligiments you tore bro. It's most definately not a "pain lock" like a lot of people seem to think. It can tear ligiments off your toes (very easily) and it can snap the bones in your foot very easily too. Torn ligiments take forever to heal and some never do. And to his credit, he didn't tap out to the pain part. When I had it locked solely around his tendon and the top of his foot it didnt do anything, the guy didnt even wince, but when I slid my shoulder to the top of his foot and started bending his ankle with it is when he tapped.
Do you know the difference between a straight ankle lock and a heel hook? You're just making me doubt your story more, man.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios