takedown - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply

Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Because I'm not very tall and don't have very long arms I'm really big on clinches. If I catch a body lock on someone I prefer hip throws from there, but if your opponent keeps backing away from you so you can't get yourself through their center of gravity then I like leg trips.

My shots are really not very good, because I'm not a wrestler (never was). I also don't really like the idea of getting kneed in the face, but some guys shoot alot faster then I do, so it's not a problem for them.

If you're trying to get past that whole "pushing your opponent to the ground" phase, watch some of Karo Parysians takedowns and throws and try and pick up some of the points there. Or you could go a step farther and take a judo class.

I don't really have any advice for wrestling. Not my forte.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
1 2 3 Blast Off!
 
TheSuplexor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,972
TheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcoastmma
i found out something about the way most guys who havent wrestled finish double legs. they just try to drive straight through their opponent. my advice try just changing angles and driving to the side. i know that sounds kind of awkward but the angle change will really throw off an opponents momentum. it also makes it a bit harder to sprawl away. ill see if i can find a video ofwhat im talking about.
also pressing your head into their side makes it easier for you and harder for them but i usually just lift once in the double and bring them over head
TheSuplexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
1 2 3 Blast Off!
 
TheSuplexor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,972
TheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
Most good lookcing takedown is the double leg. My favorite is the drop sayanage.
bear hug to a slam is also nice. what is the drop sayanage?
TheSuplexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Steve-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 612
Blog Entries: 3
Steve-d has a little shameless behaviour in the pastSteve-d has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Because I'm not very tall and don't have very long arms I'm really big on clinches. If I catch a body lock on someone I prefer hip throws from there, but if your opponent keeps backing away from you so you can't get yourself through their center of gravity then I like leg trips.

My shots are really not very good, because I'm not a wrestler (never was). I also don't really like the idea of getting kneed in the face, but some guys shoot alot faster then I do, so it's not a problem for them.

If you're trying to get past that whole "pushing your opponent to the ground" phase, watch some of Karo Parysians takedowns and throws and try and pick up some of the points there. Or you could go a step farther and take a judo class.

I don't really have any advice for wrestling. Not my forte.
im almost exactly the same, my favorite would to be to go for the clinch and with my right hand controlling the neck take my left hand and grb behind their left ankle and tkae the lgeg and drive forward.

landing into a side mount. other then that i rather drive into the cornor (we train and fight in a ring) then go to the double leg from there. i know plenty of other take downs but these are the ones that work for me.
__________________
Steve-d
www.steved-mma.com // My Training Blog!


Steve-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
1 2 3 Blast Off!
 
TheSuplexor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,972
TheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A HugTheSuplexor Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-d
im almost exactly the same, my favorite would to be to go for the clinch and with my right hand controlling the neck take my left hand and grb behind their left ankle and tkae the lgeg and drive forward.

landing into a side mount. other then that i rather drive into the cornor (we train and fight in a ring) then go to the double leg from there. i know plenty of other take downs but these are the ones that work for me.
yeah, that is called an ankle pick do they ever move their ankle back so you can't get it?
TheSuplexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Steve-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 612
Blog Entries: 3
Steve-d has a little shameless behaviour in the pastSteve-d has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublelegtakedown
yeah, that is called an ankle pick do they ever move their ankle back so you can't get it?
does your mind ever go blank?

ankle pick, when i was writing that thread all i had was pick, i could not remember the rest so i just left it title less.

And to answer your question, my private lesson trainer will because he knows me, but no, no one else has because im fast and you dont really see it coming, after using it a few times on someone they will catch on unless they are a bit thick.
__________________
Steve-d
www.steved-mma.com // My Training Blog!


Steve-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios