Back to Basics - Page 12 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply

Old 12-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #111 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
joppp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
An arm triangle is fine as a transition when he reaches for the head. If he gets to the knees, practice transitioning to the darse, that will help a lot.

Really, though, I suggest that you keep your balance. Once you slip the arm around the head, creating the choke, start to take your weight off of their body to finish the choke.

If he starts to roll up when you have fed the arm around his head, just drop your head and chest into his chest to keep him flat on his back.

Basically my point is, if he starts to roll up, you're not keeping your weight down enough, and you need to smash him.
Thanks IronMan, I'll work on that!
__________________
Official Leader of the Demian Maia Subway Station!

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #112 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppp View Post
Thanks IronMan, I'll work on that!
Good deal, and thanks for the rep.

Any more questions?
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #113 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
joppp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Good deal, and thanks for the rep.

Any more questions?
No not really. But If you have the time I'd like to discuss my overall grappling game.

My side control game as of now is VERY arm bar focused (not to want to brag, but I am pretty good with armbar from side control/mount), so I though of adding north/south choke, brabo, arm triangle (they make for pretty good combos) and what else do you think I should try to incorporate in my side control/top game?

As for my guard, what would you suggest: continue to wotk on my rubber guard or take a more sweep focused approach? Right now my most commonly used guard submissions is the basic armbar (which actually got many levels to it if combined with crackhead control) and the pyramid triangle/omoplata (overhook and escaped hips and high legs).

My passing is decent and I think I'm on the right way; it's not many in my age/experience category I cannot pass, and good ol' Marcelo Garcia has some solid passing tips which I will try to learn.

My escapes from sidecontrol and mount needs work.

I take the back way too seldom, so when I do I sometimes have problems with working the RNC. Is armdrag a good idea, mine at the moment is not very good...

So, any thoughts?
__________________
Official Leader of the Demian Maia Subway Station!

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #114 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppp View Post
No not really. But If you have the time I'd like to discuss my overall grappling game.
Sounds good.

Quote:
My side control game as of now is VERY arm bar focused (not to want to brag, but I am pretty good with armbar from side control/mount), so I though of adding north/south choke, brabo, arm triangle (they make for pretty good combos) and what else do you think I should try to incorporate in my side control/top game?
Focus on adding the chokes for a while. As soon as you can focus on baiting one into the other (especially the arm triangle, as it works really well with the armbar).

Then look into the monoplata, the banana split and the twister. Those are advanced and will require hours and hours of practice, and the chokes are just as good, so make sure you have the chokes down first.


Quote:
As for my guard, what would you suggest: continue to wotk on my rubber guard or take a more sweep focused approach? Right now my most commonly used guard submissions is the basic armbar (which actually got many levels to it if combined with crackhead control) and the pyramid triangle/omoplata (overhook and escaped hips and high legs).
The rubber guard is all well and good, but if you're using it because you're having trouble with the regular, double wrist control guard, you need to add a few more elements.

Work on sitting up into the butterfly guard and half guard when your opponent tries to posture up (if you're not sure about attacks from here, I can give you a few). Make sure that you have a game when he tries to get that posture back.


Quote:
My passing is decent and I think I'm on the right way; it's not many in my age/experience category I cannot pass, and good ol' Marcelo Garcia has some solid passing tips which I will try to learn.
Yeah, there are plenty of good ways to pass, just make sure you have two or three different ways to do it.

Quote:
My escapes from sidecontrol and mount needs work.
Do lots and lots of shrimp moves. Practicing the hips moves and leg moves are really what matters, and practice moving into your opponent from side control.

Quote:
I take the back way too seldom, so when I do I sometimes have problems with working the RNC. Is armdrag a good idea, mine at the moment is not very good...
Yes, it's good. Also, when guys turn into you while escaping from your side control, looking for the double, practice turning around them to take the back.

Quote:
So, any thoughts?
Yeah.

Grappling's about versatility and variety. It's about having a lot of moves that you understand, but mostly it's about having moves that work for you and knowing them deeply.

No one wins with one trick. You can win one tournament with a trick, but even Shinya Aoki uses more than a triangle. Learn a lot of things, and build them into your game.

Have a lot of good attacks, and you'll always have something to go to.

That's my two cents. If anything in here needs to be more specific, or you want some details on the techniques, feel free to ask.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #115 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
joppp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
No, you don't need to be any more specific than that, I have understood your advice and taken it in.

Awesome to have some good tips (o wait, one thing: Banana split from side control? Are you sure you don't mean the crotch ripper from the truck?)

Anyways, thanks a lot!
__________________
Official Leader of the Demian Maia Subway Station!

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #116 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppp View Post
No, you don't need to be any more specific than that, I have understood your advice and taken it in.

Awesome to have some good tips (o wait, one thing: Banana split from side control? Are you sure you don't mean the crotch ripper from the truck?)

Anyways, thanks a lot!
Man, f*ck Eddie Bravo's ridiculous names. They make no sense.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #117 (permalink)
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
Suvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
No one wins with one trick.
No one except Joe Stevenson.

On topic, I seem to have huge problems with the butterfly guard. Every time I try to use it, my opponent either controls my legs and passes, or just stays and is able to avoid being swept. I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Suvaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #118 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawaweewa View Post
On topic, I seem to have huge problems with the butterfly guard. Every time I try to use it, my opponent either controls my legs and passes, or just stays and is able to avoid being swept. I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Well, probably a few things, but the one that jumps immediately to mind is that you're not controlling his arms.

Make sure that you have a good grip (usually an underhook and an overhook, if you're going for a straight butterfly sweep). If he's getting control of the leg it means that you don't have enough control with the hooks.

Also make sure the butterfly hooks themselves are deep. Keep your knees in tight to his ribs and keep the hooks in his groin until you work for the sweep, then slide the feet out to under his knees to control him and go for the sweep.

When people have problems with the butterfly guard, it's not a matter of tricks (though good transitions to the half guard and to the X-Guard are nice to hard). It's almost always a matter of screwing up some of the details.

Do you have a video or pics of how you're doing it? Because if the advice there doesn't work I'll probably need to take a closer look to be useful.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #119 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
joppp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
Also: If you feel that your opponent has already started to hug both your legs and starting to pass: do the "Switch". Let's say your opponent passes your legs to the left (since he's hugging both your legs, he'll have a pretty low posture). Then take your Right hand and post it on his inner right thigh (i.e. grab his right leg). Then try get on all fours and take his back.

It's not always gonna work, but if he's already locked your legs, there's not much more you can do.
__________________
Official Leader of the Demian Maia Subway Station!

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #120 (permalink)
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
Suvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A BallerSuvaco Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppp View Post
Also: If you feel that your opponent has already started to hug both your legs and starting to pass: do the "Switch". Let's say your opponent passes your legs to the left (since he's hugging both your legs, he'll have a pretty low posture). Then take your Right hand and post it on his inner right thigh (i.e. grab his right leg). Then try get on all fours and take his back.

It's not always gonna work, but if he's already locked your legs, there's not much more you can do.
The switch was one of the few things I learned in my short stint in high school wrestling. I sucked at it but I'll give it a try. Never thought of using it in this situation.
Suvaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios