I need some help. or alot of help - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
sneakybadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California, Us
Posts: 22
 
I need some help. or alot of help

i started an mma class with a little experience is tae kwan do

its been a few years

I'm pretty uncomfortable rolling with the people in the class who have been doing it much longer than i have and have the privilege of going everyday where i can only go Thursday and Friday.

What are things I can do at home to

A. work on my endurance (its pathetic)
B. become a decent grappler

did you feel discouraged when you first started?
how did you get over it?
sneakybadness is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
slideyfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
 
My main tips would be relax, ask questions, find a good training partner, maintain good hygiene, and keep training (extended version of that here).

If you've got a longer attention span, I've been compiling a BJJ Beginner FAQ, which should hopefully help with some of your questions.
slideyfoot is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakybadness View Post
i started an mma class with a little experience is tae kwan do

its been a few years

I'm pretty uncomfortable rolling with the people in the class who have been doing it much longer than i have and have the privilege of going everyday where i can only go Thursday and Friday.

What are things I can do at home to

A. work on my endurance (its pathetic)
B. become a decent grappler

did you feel discouraged when you first started?
how did you get over it?
when at home work on core strength exercises that will help with your grappling allot. Look for something that you may think would be a great core exercise program and do it every other day.

Personally I like The core program on a workout machine called the TRX.
http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/Merch...vc?Screen=SFNT

oh yha and diet is also essential.

"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
sneakybadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California, Us
Posts: 22
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
My main tips would be relax, ask questions, find a good training partner, maintain good hygiene, and keep training (extended version of that here).

If you've got a longer attention span, I've been compiling a BJJ Beginner FAQ, which should hopefully help with some of your questions.
thanks for the reply ill check that out
sneakybadness is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
sneakybadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California, Us
Posts: 22
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanfighter View Post
when at home work on core strength exercises that will help with your grappling allot. Look for something that you may think would be a great core exercise program and do it every other day.

Personally I like The core program on a workout machine called the TRX.
http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/Merch...vc?Screen=SFNT

oh yha and diet is also essential.
thanks ive been working on my diet alot lately and ill definitely check that machine out
sneakybadness is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Sexy as F
 
Evil Ira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tyne and Wear, UK
Posts: 2,044
                     
When I first joined my MMA class, I knew nothing about MMA, so I was constantly being tapped out by more experienced grapplers.

Personally, I didn't feel discouraged, nor did I do anything at home. But if you wanted to do that sort of thing, I would work on strength, and if you have anyone at home to practise with, by all means practise with them!

I, like you, only did training two days per week. I just tried to learn all that I could in classes, and grasp the techniques as best as I could, with a half hour rolling period at the end of each two hour lesson.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ira View Post
Top Five Ways to paper cut your balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by name goes here View Post
4 trying to teach your willy to read
Evil Ira is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
sneakybadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California, Us
Posts: 22
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ira View Post
When I first joined my MMA class, I knew nothing about MMA, so I was constantly being tapped out by more experienced grapplers.

Personally, I didn't feel discouraged, nor did I do anything at home. But if you wanted to do that sort of thing, I would work on strength, and if you have anyone at home to practise with, by all means practise with them!

I, like you, only did training two days per week. I just tried to learn all that I could in classes, and grasp the techniques as best as I could, with a half hour rolling period at the end of each two hour lesson.
how long have you been doing it?

how long did it take you to get the hang of it?
sneakybadness is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
 
something that i find very helpful in making me better is shadow wrestling. it may sound silly at first, but practice a few moves on the ground that you tend to do in matches, but since many use require body weight i would just practice your switches, as they can easily be practiced alone. It is at least something, and i know it has helped me get alot better at my current collegiate wrestling
good luck =]
Richieblood is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
MMA fighter
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 57
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakybadness View Post
i started an mma class with a little experience is tae kwan do

its been a few years

I'm pretty uncomfortable rolling with the people in the class who have been doing it much longer than i have and have the privilege of going everyday where i can only go Thursday and Friday.

What are things I can do at home to

A. work on my endurance (its pathetic)
B. become a decent grappler

did you feel discouraged when you first started?
how did you get over it?
I would suggest doing some bodyweight workouts that hit the entire body. Try to stay relaxed when you are rolling, which is tough when you are just starting to learn the techniques.

In terms of becoming a better grappler, just give it time and show up as much as you can.

After class, write down every move you learn in great details and when not training visualize the movements as often as you can.

Make sure you take training for what it is, practice. Try you new movements and do not worry about getting tapped out. A productive class is one where you pull off a few new attacks, escapes or other movement. It's so easy to think of a successful training session as one in which you don't get tapped out. That is very far from the truth.

There is a great saying in BJJ. "You must be the nail before you can become the hammer."

Good luck with your training!
Jeff_Joslin is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
sneakybadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California, Us
Posts: 22
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Joslin View Post
I would suggest doing some bodyweight workouts that hit the entire body. Try to stay relaxed when you are rolling, which is tough when you are just starting to learn the techniques.

In terms of becoming a better grappler, just give it time and show up as much as you can.

After class, write down every move you learn in great details and when not training visualize the movements as often as you can.

Make sure you take training for what it is, practice. Try you new movements and do not worry about getting tapped out. A productive class is one where you pull off a few new attacks, escapes or other movement. It's so easy to think of a successful training session as one in which you don't get tapped out. That is very far from the truth.

There is a great saying in BJJ. "You must be the nail before you can become the hammer."

Good luck with your training!
ill try to remember that.

it's just so hard because i like to win. but ill try that tonight, ill stau come and not use all my strength. its thats also hard to cause i dont really know many techniques yet
sneakybadness is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome