MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Grappling Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/)
-   -   Getting out from under someone who is extremely heavy? (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/63055-getting-out-under-someone-who-extremely-heavy.html)

Yomoska 09-24-2009 05:26 PM

Getting out from under someone who is extremely heavy?
 
I practiced some ground work with this one guy who was extremely overweight and nothing I knew how to do could get him off of me, I was wondering if there are any techniques you could actually use to lift off someone who is about 280lbs other than just pure strength.

Fieos 09-24-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yomoska (Post 1005488)
I practiced some ground work with this one guy who was extremely overweight and nothing I knew how to do could get him off of me, I was wondering if there are any techniques you could actually use to lift off someone who is about 280lbs other than just pure strength.

Size matters, that's why there are weight classes. I weight 230lbs and I can often smother and bully someone who is significantly better at BJJ than I am if I'm significantly bigger than they are.

Ironman will probably have some good input for you but my recommendations would be to use misdirection as much as possible trying to get your opponent to incorrectly anticipate your movements and inadventently create openings for you.

In order to provide useful feedback it would be better if you clarified specifics. Are you in a full/half guard, mount, side control, etc. Are you able to upa (bridge out)? Shrimp out? If he is bigger then hopefully he is slower and your goal is to create a scramble situation where you can win better positions.

HexRei 09-24-2009 10:29 PM

benchpress? lol.

Yomoska 09-24-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fieos (Post 1005668)
Size matters, that's why there are weight classes. I weight 230lbs and I can often smother and bully someone who is significantly better at BJJ than I am if I'm significantly bigger than they are.

Ironman will probably have some good input for you but my recommendations would be to use misdirection as much as possible trying to get your opponent to incorrectly anticipate your movements and inadventently create openings for you.

In order to provide useful feedback it would be better if you clarified specifics. Are you in a full/half guard, mount, side control, etc. Are you able to upa (bridge out)? Shrimp out? If he is bigger then hopefully he is slower and your goal is to create a scramble situation where you can win better positions.

Usually he does full/half mount and sometimes a side but not much. When he gets on top of me he just lays down and I can't move my torso unless he lifts himself. I'm new to this so I don't know much about scramble situations. His slowness comes from fatigue and when he's tired he pretty much becomes dead weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HexRei (Post 1005718)
benchpress? lol.

Everyday! :thumbsup:

joshua7789 09-25-2009 12:02 AM

It really depends. One of the first things you need to figure out is if your opponent is tickleish. If not then you may need to squeeze there testicles or twist there nipples. Beyond that, I have no idea.

name goes here 09-25-2009 12:07 AM

Grease. The more slippery you are the easier ;)

Other than that aggresively go for the take down in the first place. I am myself pretty big, and it isn't easy for others to get me down (RAWRRR), but an aggressive takedown low on my legs (ankles) is what people do to me a lot.

You said the guy is 'heavy' but I'm guessing you are saying fat rather than muscular - in which case try to grab an arm and use a submission

Fieos 09-25-2009 09:16 AM

Ah, I'm probably not going to have a lot of advice for you. If he is going for submissions you can attempt to sweep but if he's a lot bigger than you and he's only focused on maintaining position you probably aren't going to have a lot of luck. Work on twisting back into guard and pushing away with your legs is probably the most luck you'll have creating space.

Yomoska 09-25-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by name goes here (Post 1005778)
Grease. The more slippery you are the easier ;)

Other than that aggresively go for the take down in the first place. I am myself pretty big, and it isn't easy for others to get me down (RAWRRR), but an aggressive takedown low on my legs (ankles) is what people do to me a lot.

You said the guy is 'heavy' but I'm guessing you are saying fat rather than muscular - in which case try to grab an arm and use a submission

What kinda sub would you recommend? I'm just beginning so I don't know much.

Oh I should also add that where we train we are usually doing ground work from the ground already, so most of the time we don't do take downs unfortunately.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, really helpful :thumb02:

name goes here 09-25-2009 10:51 AM

Someone smarter will tell you better, all I can say is you put both your hands on one of his arms and attempt it twist it - maybe it's called the Americana, I forget.

Mookie 09-25-2009 01:33 PM

One thing to remember is wherever his head goes his body follows, if you can control his head with both your hands you can possibly get him off by trying to direct all your energy to pushing it to one side while arching your back to slink out from under him.

If you're stuck, no way out. Gain wrist control!!! If you don't he can start the feast. From there best of luck to you :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2