MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Grappling Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/)
-   -   Jitz Question (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/66455-jitz-question.html)

TraMaI 02-20-2008 09:18 PM

Jitz Question
 
Okay, so My friend is a Black Belt in Tae Kwan Do and he says that since he's a blackbelt he can start training people and giving them belts. First I want to know if thats true, and next if the same is true for BJJ because my trainer is a 2nd degree BB in it and I've never really thought of actually trying to get belts from him :\ Thanks

Suvaco 02-20-2008 09:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that is true. It's pretty hard to become a black belt in BJJ, so I'm pretty sure all black belts can teach students and give out belts.

burton_o6 02-20-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wawaweewa (Post 475444)
I'm pretty sure that is true. It's pretty hard to become a black belt in BJJ, so I'm pretty sure all black belts can teach students and give out belts.


Doesn't the credibility of his belt come from who gave him the belt though?

TraMaI 02-20-2008 09:33 PM

Awesome :)

My trainer is my brother in law too so I can train with him for free. My friend the TKD belt is getting his own dojo in a year or two and we're going to expand it to be a BJJ/TKD/MMA Gym. My brother in law is also a silver glove boxer so we'll probably incorperate that and Hapkido too.

EDIT: He got his BJJ belt from his father (3rd degree BB) and he trained with Dan Severn

CopperShark 02-21-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraMaI (Post 475449)
Awesome :)

My trainer is my brother in law too so I can train with him for free. My friend the TKD belt is getting his own dojo in a year or two and we're going to expand it to be a BJJ/TKD/MMA Gym. My brother in law is also a silver glove boxer so we'll probably incorperate that and Hapkido too.

EDIT: He got his BJJ belt from his father (3rd degree BB) and he trained with Dan Severn


Whoa whoa whoa.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a fight.

Let me get this straight. You brother in law, is a 2nd degree black belt. in Brazilian Jujitsu. And he got his Black Belt, from his Dad. Who is a 3rd Degree blackbelt, in BJJ?

TraMaI 02-22-2008 03:12 AM

Yes I believe so? He just got the second degree not too long ago. I dont really know his dad, he lives in south carolina. Did I get something wrong?

IronMan 02-22-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraMaI (Post 475438)
Okay, so My friend is a Black Belt in Tae Kwan Do and he says that since he's a blackbelt he can start training people and giving them belts. First I want to know if thats true, and next if the same is true for BJJ because my trainer is a 2nd degree BB in it and I've never really thought of actually trying to get belts from him :\ Thanks

I would like to confirm that a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can give out ranks. The fact is, though, in the BJJ world it matters alot more who gave you your belt. That's why it's important to check the lineage of the belt and make sure that you know what you're saying when you claim your instructor.

I'm not sure about TKD, but I will say that there are alot of TKD blackbelts that I train with that make me think that a blackbelt in the style is about on the level of a bluebelt in BJJ. I'm sure that TKD guys will disagree with me, but they do give out blackbelts way to young, as do many martial arts instructors.

TraMaI 02-23-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 476786)
I would like to confirm that a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can give out ranks. The fact is, though, in the BJJ world it matters alot more who gave you your belt. That's why it's important to check the lineage of the belt and make sure that you know what you're saying when you claim your instructor.

I'm not sure about TKD, but I will say that there are alot of TKD blackbelts that I train with that make me think that a blackbelt in the style is about on the level of a bluebelt in BJJ. I'm sure that TKD guys will disagree with me, but they do give out blackbelts way to young, as do many martial arts instructors.

Gotcha, I'll ask him who his dad got it from.

wallysworld191 02-23-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraMaI (Post 475438)
Okay, so My friend is a Black Belt in Tae Kwan Do and he says that since he's a blackbelt he can start training people and giving them belts. First I want to know if thats true, and next if the same is true for BJJ because my trainer is a 2nd degree BB in it and I've never really thought of actually trying to get belts from him :\ Thanks

...he's a second degree BB in Brazilian JiuJitsu...what are there like 50 of those in the country (if that).


anyway, yeah you could teach people. hell you could teach people at white belt, but you can only teach them so much.

xeberus 02-23-2008 09:12 PM

Belts dont mean alot. For along time I didnt give karate any respect at all because I totally destroyed a "black belt" afew years back. At the time the only thing ive trained in was boxing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2