Judo - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: launceston tasmania
Posts: 101
 
Judo

could someone explain to me the basics of judo and how it applies to mma
maxtheripper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
judo is a good base for mma, explosiveness in the moves, takedowns, body control(very over looked, "you may have 1billion submissions in your game, but who will you submit when your face down in the mat, and they are on your back?"), locks, chokes, the proper way to fall, how to defend from all these.
kishiro is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:34 PM
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
                     
Nicely put! judo is almost like wrestling but more hadcore with slams and joint locks and joint minipulation and chokes

"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Judo has all of the ground control of wrestling and many of the takedowns. It also uses a different variety of takedowns that add alot of explosiveness to an MMA game.

There is also instruction of submissions, which is very good for developing a good basis, and they're usually alot easier to use after you slam your opponent on his head.

Karo Parysian is a good example of judo being used to maximum effect in MMA. Hidehiko is really the big name judo guy, but I don't see him use alot of it in his MMA fighting.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Judo has all of the ground control of wrestling and many of the takedowns. It also uses a different variety of takedowns that add alot of explosiveness to an MMA game.

There is also instruction of submissions, which is very good for developing a good basis, and they're usually alot easier to use after you slam your opponent on his head.

Karo Parysian is a good example of judo being used to maximum effect in MMA. Hidehiko is really the big name judo guy, but I don't see him use alot of it in his MMA fighting.
true, but do not forget fedor...
kishiro is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 AM
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
                     
The whole concept of judo is essentially using the other persons momentum against them. Where in wrestling you perform alot of the throws using brute streghnth with judo your goal is to use their streghnth and momentum against them.

For example all of the judo sweeps and throws revolve around the concept of off balancing and controlling your oponents center of gravity. If you want to set up a certain throw you will resist them one way and then when they counter that resistance you imediately use their flow against them and perform a throw.

Best example is when your performing a inside sweep. You pull one way and as soon as you start feeling them resist to comensate you pull push in the opposite direction so then you have taken their momentum mixed it with your momentum and then put all of it on one leg. Once you kick that leg out from them they will be taken out rather violently.

Alot of people say yeah judo is the gentle way. Gentle way my ass I think it has more injuries then most mma events which allow striking. Talk to any one who competes hardcore and these guys go out their with a list of injuries

MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1
mrmyz is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyz
The whole concept of judo is essentially using the other persons momentum against them. Where in wrestling you perform alot of the throws using brute streghnth with judo your goal is to use their streghnth and momentum against them.

For example all of the judo sweeps and throws revolve around the concept of off balancing and controlling your oponents center of gravity. If you want to set up a certain throw you will resist them one way and then when they counter that resistance you imediately use their flow against them and perform a throw.

Best example is when your performing a inside sweep. You pull one way and as soon as you start feeling them resist to comensate you pull push in the opposite direction so then you have taken their momentum mixed it with your momentum and then put all of it on one leg. Once you kick that leg out from them they will be taken out rather violently.

Alot of people say yeah judo is the gentle way. Gentle way my ass I think it has more injuries then most mma events which allow striking. Talk to any one who competes hardcore and these guys go out their with a list of injuries
all is true, but you forgot to let everyone know judo is probably the most fun. i love judo due to the fact that when it is competition time you can "bring it". i have been DQed for slamming in a bjj tournament, but judo gave me a win. don't get me wrong about bjj, i like that but i would like the throwing rules, but the bjj score for throws, mixed in with the newaza time and points on the ground of bjj, and judo chokes should be legal and bicep slicers and leg locks and scissor takedown.
that would be great
kishiro is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
                     
yeah the same thing happened to me hahaha what did you use

MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1
mrmyz is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyz
yeah the same thing happened to me hahaha what did you use
YouTube - Ura nage
but i was going for height, tried to make him touch the lights, then bury him through the mats into the hardwood. all i heard was breath, and he was real slow getting up. i don't know why he was mad..... he won......

Last edited by kishiro; 01-02-2007 at 07:03 PM.
kishiro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome