MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Grappling Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/)
-   -   BJJ First stripe taking forever (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/75321-bjj-first-stripe-taking-forever.html)

EASTVANMMA 04-16-2010 07:32 PM

BJJ First stripe taking forever
 
I've been training in BJJ for roughly 6 months now, and have yet to earn my first stripe on my whit belt. I've missed about a month or so due to injuries, however, i competed in an in house tournament(lost), and consistently tap out 1 and 2 stripe white belts. I've also submitted 2 blue belts. I cant fathom why i haven't earned my stripe yet. My Academy is quite large (Gracie Barra) so we don't always get the most individual attention, however guys that have joined well after me, have already received their first stripes. guys that i still tap out. I definitely don't want to bring it up to my professor as that would be whiny and disrespectful, i know a stripe is just a piece of tape but it would be nice to be recognized for my effort. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

BlacklistShaun 04-20-2010 08:04 AM

Without seeing you roll or knowing how much you attend it's hard to say.

I know several GB schools around me have started giving out stripes based on attendance. If you attend so many classes you get a stripe.

Also tapping people doesn't really mean anything. You could be tapping people with strength and not technique. If you aren't displaying technique then it's possible that your instructor doesn't think you are learning. Therefore never base stripes or belt color on who you can tap out.

Halfraq9 04-20-2010 01:07 PM

I'm in agreement with Blacklistshawn. If you're beating people by strength, greater size, etc. rather than using better technique and positioning, you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run.

Ask yourself if you are working on your technique or looking for the tap? Here's a thought, on your next rolling session start off every time from the position you are worst at. Don't use superior strength or size to get out. If you get tapped, so be it.

Have Fun !!

EASTVANMMA 04-20-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfraq9 (Post 1166550)
I'm in agreement with Blacklistshawn. If you're beating people by strength, greater size, etc. rather than using better technique and positioning, you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run.

Ask yourself if you are working on your technique or looking for the tap? Here's a thought, on your next rolling session start off every time from the position you are worst at. Don't use superior strength or size to get out. If you get tapped, so be it.

Have Fun !!



Thanks, i appreciate the feedback. I have a wrestling background and have won a gold medal in my high school division (years ago). Upon joining my academy they asked if i had any previous experience and i told them. Is it possible my professor thinks i'm using my wrestling background and strength rather than technique like you said? Or is it possible based on telling him about my background that he's thinking that's what i'm solely relying on? As for using technique i've made a point of it. I've been sweeping people lots lately and my balance has increased tremendously. I am getting triangle chokes frequently by just technique and have made a point of it. I've also been using a lot of baiting moves which help me land my subs.

Halfraq9 04-20-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EASTVANMMA (Post 1166732)
Is it possible my professor thinks i'm using my wrestling background and strength rather than technique like you said? Or is it possible based on telling him about my background that he's thinking that's what i'm solely relying on?

Personally, I'd cut to the chase and take the direct approach and ask your professor what he's specifically looking for. Sometimes things are so subtle you just don't see them unless someone tells you. Ask him from the standpoint of what part of your technique is lacking. The idea is to put the focus on your technique instead of you're not advancing.

Hope this helps.

dirtnasty 04-20-2010 10:00 PM

Just be patient i used to be going through the same thing wondering why it was taking so long for my first stripe. I've seen people with 5-6 stripes and not move up in belt then i've seen people with one stripe or even none move up in belt. Just don't let it get to you. often time it is if you haven't competed yet that might be needed to gain a stripe.

EASTVANMMA 04-21-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtnasty (Post 1166822)
Just be patient i used to be going through the same thing wondering why it was taking so long for my first stripe. I've seen people with 5-6 stripes and not move up in belt then i've seen people with one stripe or even none move up in belt. Just don't let it get to you. often time it is if you haven't competed yet that might be needed to gain a stripe.


I have actually competed in an in house tournament. I competed against a 3 stripe White belt, and they put me against a 1 stripe blue belt as well, as there wasn't enough people present at the time to match up with me. Suffice to say i lost the tourny. But i did take both my opponents down, got side control and mounted. (Including the blue belt). I was up on points until getting caught at the end. So i thought within the next few classes i was going to get my stripe for competing and trying against both higher belts and larger guys. I guess i was wrong. This tourny was a little while ago, and i have probably been to 12 classes after that. In total i probably have been to 36 classes and one tournament and still no stripe :(

BlacklistShaun 04-21-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfraq9 (Post 1166745)
Personally, I'd cut to the chase and take the direct approach and ask your professor what he's specifically looking for. Sometimes things are so subtle you just don't see them unless someone tells you. Ask him from the standpoint of what part of your technique is lacking. The idea is to put the focus on your technique instead of you're not advancing.

Hope this helps.

This is what I would do honestly. I would go to my instructor and first ask him what he thinks about what I’m doing on the mat. If he’s not been watching you maybe this will get him to watch you and realize you have some potential.

I would also let him know that you want to be promoted and you would like some advice on what you should work on. It’s better to ask and know where he thinks you are weak than to just sit there and not know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtnasty (Post 1166822)
Just be patient i used to be going through the same thing wondering why it was taking so long for my first stripe. I've seen people with 5-6 stripes and not move up in belt then i've seen people with one stripe or even none move up in belt. Just don't let it get to you. often time it is if you haven't competed yet that might be needed to gain a stripe.

Not really sure what you are doing that you have seen people with 5-6 stripes?? In BJJ the standard is 4 stripes on a belt and then you move up to the next color. If you have people that have 5-6 stripes it’s most likely the instructor is giving out stripes too often, doesn’t feel the people are ready for the next belt, and doesn’t know what to do…he shouldn’t give them more than 4 though.

I personally did what you are talking about. My original school was under ATT so we had a green belt between white and blue. I went from a 1 stripe white belt to a green and then went from 3 stripe green to blue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EASTVANMMA (Post 1166972)
I have actually competed in an in house tournament. I competed against a 3 stripe White belt, and they put me against a 1 stripe blue belt as well, as there wasn't enough people present at the time to match up with me. Suffice to say i lost the tourny. But i did take both my opponents down, got side control and mounted. (Including the blue belt). I was up on points until getting caught at the end. So i thought within the next few classes i was going to get my stripe for competing and trying against both higher belts and larger guys. I guess i was wrong. This tourny was a little while ago, and i have probably been to 12 classes after that. In total i probably have been to 36 classes and one tournament and still no stripe :(

I see that you say you got the takedown, passed to side control, and then mounted. There is a large gap being that you say you were caught in the end of the match. What happened between that time? Were you just laying there trying to hold mount or were you making a real attempt to finish the fight?

Just out of curiosity who is your school under??

Quote:

Originally Posted by EASTVANMMA (Post 1166732)
Thanks, i appreciate the feedback. I have a wrestling background and have won a gold medal in my high school division (years ago). Upon joining my academy they asked if i had any previous experience and i told them. Is it possible my professor thinks i'm using my wrestling background and strength rather than technique like you said? Or is it possible based on telling him about my background that he's thinking that's what i'm solely relying on? As for using technique i've made a point of it. I've been sweeping people lots lately and my balance has increased tremendously. I am getting triangle chokes frequently by just technique and have made a point of it. I've also been using a lot of baiting moves which help me land my subs.

I know personally at my school when we are looking for someone to promote one thing we look at is if the person is a “one trick pony”. Basically what I mean is there have been people that have been held back from getting their blue because the only thing they could tap someone with was a triangle choke. They had great guards, but once you passed their game was just flat and flaccid.

Make sure to mix up your game. I think to get your first couple stripes you just have to show you can actually move on the ground IMO. When you start getting 3-4 stripes then I’d start looking at whether this person is actually grasping the technique and how well they sweep or submit their opponents.

IronMan 04-26-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EASTVANMMA (Post 1163239)
I've been training in BJJ for roughly 6 months now, and have yet to earn my first stripe on my whit belt. I've missed about a month or so due to injuries, however, i competed in an in house tournament(lost), and consistently tap out 1 and 2 stripe white belts. I've also submitted 2 blue belts. I cant fathom why i haven't earned my stripe yet. My Academy is quite large (Gracie Barra) so we don't always get the most individual attention, however guys that have joined well after me, have already received their first stripes. guys that i still tap out. I definitely don't want to bring it up to my professor as that would be whiny and disrespectful, i know a stripe is just a piece of tape but it would be nice to be recognized for my effort. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I pretty much agree with Shawn, who seems to have the consensus opinion.

My friends complain to me about not getting stripes all the time. I honestly don't care that much about rank advancement, and my tolerance for people who complain about it is pretty low is a result.

For me, if you work hard, if you really master the skills, and you compete and win on a regular basis, you can establish yourself in the gym in such a way that, regardless of how big the gym is, the work will be noticed.

I don't know what your instructor's criteria is for promotion, but if you work your ass off in the gym, chances are you'll run into it eventually. Until then, focus on the skills. Those are more important anyway.

BlacklistShaun 04-27-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 1170865)
I pretty much agree with Shawn, who seems to have the consensus opinion.

My friends complain to me about not getting stripes all the time. I honestly don't care that much about rank advancement, and my tolerance for people who complain about it is pretty low is a result.

For me, if you work hard, if you really master the skills, and you compete and win on a regular basis, you can establish yourself in the gym in such a way that, regardless of how big the gym is, the work will be noticed.

I don't know what your instructor's criteria is for promotion, but if you work your ass off in the gym, chances are you'll run into it eventually. Until then, focus on the skills. Those are more important anyway.

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't focus on when that next stripe is going to come or how long it's taking me. If you do that you're going to drive yourself crazy worrying about your rank rather than how good you actually are.

I have also came across people that complain about not getting their first stripes or second, third, fourth, or even their blue. That's why I say ask your instructor where you need to improve, don't complain about not having the stripe. Honestly I would hold someone back who's complaining because in my opinion if you are complaining about belt rank then you aren't ready to be promoted.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2