Wrestling?? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leighton, AL
Posts: 36
 
Wrestling??

yea im 15 and our school has a wrestling team. i just wanted to know how much wrestling helped in mma? thanks
lucky13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Roll Tide Roll
 
G_Land's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South West Alabama
Posts: 7,603
                     
Just look at Brock and Gsp
G_Land is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 121
             
wrestling is good.
Saenchai is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Flyweight
 
Halfraq9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Monroe, WA USA
Posts: 314
                     
Wrestling is a great base to draw from but by itself isn't the end all/be all. A person also needs to know how to defend subs and be able to strike both on the ground and standing. This is where the Jits and Muay Thai come into play.
Halfraq9 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Flyweight
 
BlacklistShaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 358
                     
Good base for sure, but HS wrestling programs aren't all that great. If you can later on get in a college program...most colleges have pretty good programs.

If I were 15 I'd take BJJ before wrestling in HS.
BlacklistShaun is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 642
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistShaun View Post
Good base for sure, but HS wrestling programs aren't all that great. If you can later on get in a college program...most colleges have pretty good programs.

If I were 15 I'd take BJJ before wrestling in HS.
Except that he's never going to get into a college wrestling program without wrestling in high school.
imrik32 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Flyweight
 
BlacklistShaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 358
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrik32 View Post
Except that he's never going to get into a college wrestling program without wrestling in high school.
When I said if you can get in a college program "later on" I meant wrestle through HS and work to get in a college program. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough.

I have done BJJ and Judo. I think if I walked onto a college wrestling team I could try out and do pretty well (although it would be pretty tempting to armbar someone).
BlacklistShaun is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistShaun View Post
When I said if you can get in a college program "later on" I meant wrestle through HS and work to get in a college program. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough.

I have done BJJ and Judo. I think if I walked onto a college wrestling team I could try out and do pretty well (although it would be pretty tempting to armbar someone).
You seriously think with a background in BJJ and Judo you could do well on a collegiate wrestling team? I honestly dont mean to be a dick, but thats absurd. BJJ you learn a lot of fighting from your back, in wrestling you lose from that position. I dont know much about judo, but wrestling is a very technical sport, judo may help, but a confident wrestler would wipe the floor with you at that level unless you also happen to be a confident wrestler, which it seems you are not. Not trying to be mean here, but thats the truth. A few skills may cross over, like a solid base and all that, but most of it wouldnt. The same thing applies to if a wrestler were to try high level judo without having a judo base, he would lose.

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Flyweight
 
BlacklistShaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 358
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
You seriously think with a background in BJJ and Judo you could do well on a collegiate wrestling team? I honestly dont mean to be a dick, but thats absurd. BJJ you learn a lot of fighting from your back, in wrestling you lose from that position. I dont know much about judo, but wrestling is a very technical sport, judo may help, but a confident wrestler would wipe the floor with you at that level unless you also happen to be a confident wrestler, which it seems you are not. Not trying to be mean here, but thats the truth. A few skills may cross over, like a solid base and all that, but most of it wouldnt. The same thing applies to if a wrestler were to try high level judo without having a judo base, he would lose.

Actually I was being serious. Some people forget that doing BJJ both guys can't be on their backs...someone has to be on top. I actually have a pretty good top game and have rolled with many collegiate wrestlers and was able to get and hold top position on them. So why would it be so absurd that someone that can move and has a very good BJJ top game could walk on to a college team and actually make it? Sure the rules are different, but someone who actually knows how to move and hold position has a much better chance than the average Joe.

And just so you know I actually have very good confidence in my wrestling because I have worked/trained with many wrestlers that competed on very high levels. I train in BJJ as well as Judo and wrestling, so your comment about me not being confident in my wrestling was absurd...you didn't even ask if I had ever wrestled before.

Last edited by BlacklistShaun; 04-21-2010 at 05:01 PM.
BlacklistShaun is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Bantamweight
 
recon6991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 607
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistShaun View Post
Actually I was being serious. Some people forget that doing BJJ both guys can't be on their backs...someone has to be on top. I actually have a pretty good top game and have rolled with many collegiate wrestlers and was able to get and hold top position on them. So why would it be so absurd that someone that can move and has a very good BJJ top game could walk on to a college team and actually make it? Sure the rules are different, but someone who actually knows how to move and hold position has a much better chance than the average Joe.

And just so you know I actually have very good confidence in my wrestling because I have worked/trained with many wrestlers that competed on very high levels. I train in BJJ as well as Judo and wrestling, so your comment about me not being confident in my wrestling was absurd...you didn't even ask if I had ever wrestled before.
I didnt ask because in a thread about wrestling you made no mention of it... Getting top control and actually winning are two completely different things. I'm sorry, but if you dont wrestle and arent an incredibly high level BJJ practitioner I dont believe you had top control on a high level wrestler. Thats like me saying I got an armbar on a high level BJJ guy, would not happen. Besides that fact, as I said earlier, getting top control and getting the pin/winning are two entirely different things. To walk on a to college wrestling team with no COMPETITIVE wrestling experience is a ridiculous idea and would NOT happen. If you care to prove me wrong, walk on to a team. I was a pretty successful high school wrestler, and even without injuring myself I probably would have had trouble walking on to a shitty dIII school.

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.
recon6991 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome