MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Grappling Technique (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/)
-   -   How to preform a triangle choke (http://www.mmaforum.com/grappling-technique/7554-how-preform-triangle-choke.html)

americanfighter 01-13-2007 04:04 PM

How to preform a triangle choke
 
this is a video showing how you should do a triangle choke way you do a triangle choke.
YouTube - proper triangle choke

TheSuplexor 01-13-2007 05:20 PM

sweet....the way he talks reminds me of tito.....is that how you learned the move?

americanfighter 01-13-2007 08:31 PM

no I some one tought me

IronMan 01-14-2007 12:43 AM

Dean is one helluva grappler, much respect to him. I guess this answers that question about how not to get slammed.

kishiro 01-14-2007 12:30 PM

as i have said many times before angles are the key to ground fighting, as dean lister shows it.
about the slam, that angle works if they are closer to the same size. as i have said it before i did have an angle on him, my angle was at such a degree that my ear was at his ankle & i had it trapped with my forearm and wrist hooking it, but his size and strength advantage clearly showed. i am, 135lbs my teammate is 225. there is a bit if a size diffrence. now find someone 90lbs lighter than you, show them how to stop the slam, and see if you can pic them up. if you are anything close to being in shape you should be able to do this.

IronMan 01-14-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishiro
about the slam, that angle works if they are closer to the same size. as i have said it before i did have an angle on him, my angle was at such a degree that my ear was at his ankle & i had it trapped with my forearm and wrist hooking it, but his size and strength advantage clearly showed. i am, 135lbs my teammate is 225. there is a bit if a size diffrence. now find someone 90lbs lighter than you, show them how to stop the slam, and see if you can pic them up. if you are anything close to being in shape you should be able to do this.

If I was trying to find someone 90 pounds lighter than me they would be 65 pounds. Not happening.

One of the things that Dean does is he keeps his body at a distance so his opponent can't get his hips under him to get a full lift on him. It keeps your opponent off of his center and tipping over. I guess this is how Dean defends against the slam, and it looks like it works.

Onganju 01-14-2007 02:45 PM

Ahhh... The Sankaku-jime. One of my favorite finishing holds. It's also one of the harder ones for me to hook on a lot of the guys I roll with due to the fact that I've got shorter/thicker legs. It's just real hard to lock it (foot behind knee) properly sometimes.

I believe I broke this one down with additional vids in my Submission Showcase thread on this post here. I think I have another instructional vid, with a few finishes using the Triangle there also.

kishiro 01-14-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan
If I was trying to find someone 90 pounds lighter than me they would be 65 pounds. Not happening.

One of the things that Dean does is he keeps his body at a distance so his opponent can't get his hips under him to get a full lift on him. It keeps your opponent off of his center and tipping over. I guess this is how Dean defends against the slam, and it looks like it works.

i was taught how to do this choke, using all the angles that dean lister has shown. it does work in my weight class. but as i said in the other threads i was 4 classes out of my wieght class. i do not think this the slam could be stopped with those odds. no matter how much ANGLES you give. when he is talking space he is not really talking about space such as distance, he is meaning the angle, not having the bodies in a line. you can plainly see by watching the video. he is not moving away, he is shifting his body yo his right to give a deep angle to kick the crook of his knee and pinch his neck.

i understand about you lack of understsanding what i am talking about due to your aikido backround, but i thought you have bjj and submission wrestling too... wow what did they teach you in ground work???

Onganju 01-14-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishiro
i was taught how to do this choke, using all the angles that dean lister has shown. it does work in my weight class. but as i said in the other threads i was 4 classes out of my wieght class. i do not think this the slam could be stopped with those odds. no matter how much ANGLES you give. when he is talking space he is not really talking about space such as distance, he is meaning the angle, not having the bodies in a line. you can plainly see by watching the video. he is not moving away, he is shifting his body yo his right to give a deep angle to kick the crook of his knee and pinch his neck.

i understand about you lack of understsanding what i am talking about due to your aikido backround, but i thought you have bjj and submission wrestling too... wow what did they teach you in ground work???

If I may interject (and hopefully avoid an online scuffle), Ironman is refering to exactly the same thing you are refering to. However, the terminology you are using is different. It can be seen easily by when he says "It keeps your opponent off of his center and tipping over" and your saying "not having the bodies in a line." In either case, both of you are addressing the principles of dynamics and unbalancing (kuzushi) within grappling. Just from different viewpoints.

Where Ironman's description points out that by creating a distance from the opponent and keeping his body line off center would help from getting slammed (probably via dakiage/high hip-lift, aka "powerbomb") because their center of balance is off. Now this can be done by actually shoulder-crawling away from your opponent (which Ironman didn't explicitly post), or by (in your post) "shifting his body yo his right" to upset the opponent's balance and tighten the triangle.

In either case, you should not be directly underneath the opponent because you'll be in a position where their posture/center of gravity will allow them to slam you (as applied under the principle of dynamics). By moving away or off to the side, you take away your opponent's center of gravity making them off-line and unbalanced (via kuzushi) helping prevent the slam.

Lastly, I will agree that the size difference definitely matters in this case. With someone closer to your own size/weight, the adjustments will go a lot farther to upset their balance/center of gravity. With a larger opponent, they have more leverage and outright strength to compensate for that.

kishiro 01-14-2007 03:40 PM

Onganju..... that sucks, you take the fun out of debates...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2