Judo or Freestyle Wrestling? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply

Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
lucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Huglucifora Needs A Hug
Judo or Freestyle Wrestling?

Hey I was just wondering what do you guys think I should learn (I'm going to do both but I'm thinking I should focus more on judo). Which one is better/more effective?

A little about me, I've been boxing for about 12 years so my hands are pretty good, I'm in awesome shape (good cardio, explosive, etc) and I just started doing jujitsu but I'm catching on quick.
__________________
yeah, the guy who got subbed by half the middle weight division, and barely beat a guy that anderson beat to death twice, is gunna win for sure - VybzKartel
lucifora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 912
mastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankingsmastodon2222 Is Running Through The Rankings
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifora View Post
Hey I was just wondering what do you guys think I should learn (I'm going to do both but I'm thinking I should focus more on judo). Which one is better/more effective?

A little about me, I've been boxing for about 12 years so my hands are pretty good, I'm in awesome shape (good cardio, explosive, etc) and I just started doing jujitsu but I'm catching on quick.
Take the best of both - practice single and double legs, ,reversals and overall ground control in wrestling, but don't waste any energy on turning the guy over or "pins" cause they're not worth alot in MMA...big negative on Judo is how much they rely on the gi, so try to train some no-gi judo...I'm not an expert but just my 2 cents in training in both, good luck and have fun.
mastodon2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
BantamBanger has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon2222 View Post
Take the best of both - practice single and double legs, ,reversals and overall ground control in wrestling, but don't waste any energy on turning the guy over or "pins" cause they're not worth alot in MMA...big negative on Judo is how much they rely on the gi, so try to train some no-gi judo...I'm not an expert but just my 2 cents in training in both, good luck and have fun.
I agree. I trained in judo for two years and ive done mma type wrestling for a year and wrestling is alot more effective in every situation. Judo is extremely devastating on the street however but its just unrealistic against a well rounded fighter IMO.
BantamBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,451
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
i gotta go with free style wrestling. im by no means a great bjj artist. but what I do know is that i've been training bjj for less than a year and because of my wrestling background I am already a blue belt in bjj.

i wasn't going to flaunt this around the forum, but to show im not just bullshitting i won first place in a no-gi intermediate grappling tournament in the past month largely because of my wrestling ability.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squirrel Fighting Champ
 
Squirrelfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,719
Blog Entries: 4
Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
They both have certain advantages, however I would suggest Judo.

I cannot explain in words how frustrated I get watching fighters in the cage who are grappling on their feet, but never go for body throws, hip tosses, or leg sweeps. Things I ddo and think about doing on instinct. IMO Judo includes a great many techniques that are the perfect counter to not only most grappling clinches, but also the Thai clinch(not to say other forms of grappling dont include these, I'm just not educated in those). There are also many ground position techniques which are just as useful as BJJ, however I have found there are significantly more, at least from my training, movements designed to finish off one's back, not just sweep, which is advantageous against wrestlers.

There are many aspects of wrestling that are also very important. The single and double, top control, guard passes. These are all major groups of techniques that are essential to MMA groundfighting.

As said above there are possitives to both and you should train all the major aspects in both if possible. Starting with only one, go with Judo IMO. It's groundwork focuses on fighting off the back as much as on top, and it adds a lot of versatility to your takedown ability.
__________________


Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,451
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelfighter View Post
They both have certain advantages, however I would suggest Judo.

I cannot explain in words how frustrated I get watching fighters in the cage who are grappling on their feet, but never go for body throws, hip tosses, or leg sweeps. Things I ddo and think about doing on instinct. IMO Judo includes a great many techniques that are the perfect counter to not only most grappling clinches, but also the Thai clinch(not to say other forms of grappling dont include these, I'm just not educated in those). There are also many ground position techniques which are just as useful as BJJ, however I have found there are significantly more, at least from my training, movements designed to finish off one's back, not just sweep, which is advantageous against wrestlers.

There are many aspects of wrestling that are also very important. The single and double, top control, guard passes. These are all major groups of techniques that are essential to MMA groundfighting.

As said above there are possitives to both and you should train all the major aspects in both if possible. Starting with only one, go with Judo IMO. It's groundwork focuses on fighting off the back as much as on top, and it adds a lot of versatility to your takedown ability.
Yea wrestling is more like don't ever get on your back/get off your back as soon as possible mentality. I personally don't like fighting off my back, im just not dangerous to anyone who has any bjj experience from the bottom . but more than that I never feel threatened when im solidly on top, i mean a couple black belts could sub me from bottom if I got overzealous but being on top is a great place to be.

And their trips are rather awesome. The guy I grappled for 1st place was big into judo and right off the bat tripped me and put me on my ass. I mean I reversed it got the double leg and took him down almost instantly but im very rarely put on my ass.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,658
Freelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By All
If you are practicing BJJ do Judo as a complementary art. If you are doing grappling, do wrestling.
__________________
"He who defeats himself is the mightiest warrior" - Confucius(I think)
Freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
FGr1p63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
FGr1p63 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IMHO any of the two would work, its just a matter of how good you work on the techniques and personal taste. If you ask a guy who practices judo you'll get his answer as judo and a free style wrestling guy would recommend wrestling so its up to you if you can do both then its fine.
FGr1p63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leighton, AL
Posts: 36
lucky13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i think that freestyle wrestling focusses more on body positions and stuff and would help u wayyy more in mma. i think judo is garbage. just my opinion. but i am a wrestler. and do bjj and muay thai. never wrestled or fought a judo guy.
__________________
http://www.sbgofal.com/
lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 276
Hennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level nowHennessy is on another level now
like the others already staded, both have their strong points. In the end I think it comes down to why you wanna learn it.

Want to be a more complete fighter?, maybe even entering MMA - I suggest wrestling.
if you want to improve your self defense I'd rather say Judo.

But since you will do both I guess you answered your question already didn't you?
Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios