Judo vs. BJJ In The MMA World - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply

Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
-----------------
 
Unseen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 1,315
Unseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the roughUnseen is a jewel in the rough
The most superior art is Mixed Martial Arts. Yep MMA
Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned
 
JawShattera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,785
JawShattera is an unknown quantity at this pointJawShattera is an unknown quantity at this pointJawShattera is an unknown quantity at this point
isnt this thread about what wins between judo and bjj.


personally i think having experience with both that judo is a very difficult art to defend,on the feet youve got a big advantage with takedowns and throws, on the ground youve developed superior reversals as the focus is to get out of a hold down's so it very difficult for a bjj fighter to use his skills on a a good judoka

I think in a judo vs. bjj match its most likely judo by decision due to conttrol of the match or bjj by submission maybe but ill go with judo.
JawShattera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
Fine, i still think BJJ is the ultimate Martial art.
You're entitled to your opinion.

As a judo practitioner who crosstrains in BJJ, I have found that alot of straight BJJ practitioners have a hard time pulling a submission on me once I've slammed them to the mat 3 or 4 times and just maintained a solid top position while working armlocks, wristlocks and chokes.

The problem with BJJ is that it's a terribly incomplete style. It focuses on a groundgame, but it doesn't teach effective ways to get an opponent to the ground.

I've never had a problem with a BJJ fighter using leverage or control on me, because they usually have to peel him off of the mat after I hip throw him and take side control about a half dozen times (just doing a basic sidechoke every time we go to the ground).

Learn something about Judo so that you actually have an argument.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsblacksrt4
The top guys in mma are judo? I'm confused here, I only know of Karo as far as judo guys go.
Top fighters in MMA who train in Judo:

Fedor Emelianenko
Aleksander Emelianenko
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Hidehiko Yoshida
Kazuo Misaki
Karo Parisyan
Hayato Sakurai
Shinya Aoki
Tatsuya Kawajiri

These are just the guys who use it as one of their primary styles. If you want to see the list of guys who dabble in it, it would probably be easier to tell you the guys who don't.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Punching Bag!
 
EC_Raider_07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 263
EC_Raider_07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
BJJ Boy, I'm suprised your BJJ instructor doesn't slap the isht out of you and tell you to stfu...

Not meaning to harrass you here, but every time I read one of your posts all I think to myself is, "Wow, this kid is REALLY wrong..." Try learning a few things before posting about them. No one can ever take your advice or posts into thought, because they're always rediculous.
EC_Raider_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
mrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenKing
The most superior art is Mixed Martial Arts. Yep MMA
imo theres no such thing because all martial arts are "mixed martial arts" judo has striking techniques, so does bjj, karate has grappeling in it etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
You're entitled to your opinion.

As a judo practitioner who crosstrains in BJJ, I have found that alot of straight BJJ practitioners have a hard time pulling a submission on me once I've slammed them to the mat 3 or 4 times and just maintained a solid top position while working armlocks, wristlocks and chokes.

The problem with BJJ is that it's a terribly incomplete style. It focuses on a groundgame, but it doesn't teach effective ways to get an opponent to the ground.

I've never had a problem with a BJJ fighter using leverage or control on me, because they usually have to peel him off of the mat after I hip throw him and take side control about a half dozen times (just doing a basic sidechoke every time we go to the ground).

Learn something about Judo so that you actually have an argument.
good post, in fact i think in the book gurilla jiu jitzu the author made a point about how most bjj people dont know how to effectively use take downs and throws
__________________
MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1

Last edited by mrmyz : 02-20-2007 at 09:42 PM.
mrmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
kishiro is an unknown quantity at this pointkishiro is an unknown quantity at this pointkishiro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyz
imo theres no such thing because all martial arts are "mixed martial arts" judo has striking techniques, so does bjj, karate has grappeling in it etc



good post, in fact i think in the book gurilla jiu jitzu the author made a point about how most bjj people dont know how to effectively use take downs and throws
dave camarillo is the aurthor of the book, been to his seminar, very cool guy, great instructor.

true about the takedowns......
the explosiveness and aggression of judo + the technique of bjj is good too, because in judo you must push the action on the ground other wise your match would be stopped and stood back up that is only a couple seconds, but in bjj you can go on the ground the entire match.
__________________
"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"
kishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyz
imo theres no such thing because all martial arts are "mixed martial arts" judo has striking techniques, so does bjj, karate has grappeling in it etc



good post, in fact i think in the book gurilla jiu jitzu the author made a point about how most bjj people dont know how to effectively use take downs and throws
Good post, myz.

What he's trying to say about MMA as the ultimate style is that mixing styles is way more effective than just pure styles like BJJ or Judo. The best martial art, but that standard is the "mixed martial art" or the art that's comprehensive. Obviously, it's not an organized style, but it is a school of thought that many (if not most) fighters in this day and age follow.

There are a lot of people who criticize BJJ people for their inability to defend the takedown. I, personally, have trained with BJJ guys who are working on that. The real issue isn't that all BJJ fighters don't know it, it's that alot of BJJ schools don't teach it, so the students have to go elsewhere to become really excellent and complete martial artists.

By the same token, there are things that I didn't learn in Judo before I started looking at BJJ, but I feel that I was much more well rounded than the BJJ guys were because I could take my opponents down fairly easily, as well as use that to get myself into top position with relative ease.

The point is, all BJJ practitioners who want to be effective even in Jiu-Jitsu competition should learn takedowns, both for the initial takedown and the ability to defend the takedown. That's what my point was.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
mrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Good post, myz.

What he's trying to say about MMA as the ultimate style is that mixing styles is way more effective than just pure styles like BJJ or Judo. The best martial art, but that standard is the "mixed martial art" or the art that's comprehensive. Obviously, it's not an organized style, but it is a school of thought that many (if not most) fighters in this day and age follow.

There are a lot of people who criticize BJJ people for their inability to defend the takedown. I, personally, have trained with BJJ guys who are working on that. The real issue isn't that all BJJ fighters don't know it, it's that alot of BJJ schools don't teach it, so the students have to go elsewhere to become really excellent and complete martial artists.

By the same token, there are things that I didn't learn in Judo before I started looking at BJJ, but I feel that I was much more well rounded than the BJJ guys were because I could take my opponents down fairly easily, as well as use that to get myself into top position with relative ease.

The point is, all BJJ practitioners who want to be effective even in Jiu-Jitsu competition should learn takedowns, both for the initial takedown and the ability to defend the takedown. That's what my point was.
so true. I started taking bjj because most judo schools will have become to competition oriented. They will teach you pins and only show you submitions they dont teach you drills or how to use the submitions effectively. Most schools also dont teach escapes. They get to focused on throwing and trying to get an ippon.

By the same token alot of BJJ guys will develop some weak take downs and just focus on trying to get it to the floor.

All the greats cross train. Kimora himself never limited himself to judo. He cross trained in karate and boxing. They say that his grip was so strong because he did intense makiwara training.
__________________
MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1
mrmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Judoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,379
Judoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of KnowledgeJudoka Is True Champion Of Knowledge
As Karo Parisyan said in a instruction video i saw that Judo is unfamiliar to most MMA fighters and wouldnt know how to defend and judo has counter throws aswell so if they try anything straight back to where they started from...

But i cant say anything about BJJ ive never done it.
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios