what was i thinking - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Grappling Technique Grappling discussion area.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishiro
stupid move with onlya week before a tournament
True, but it would have been even stupider in a match where the other guy is seriously trying to maim you. I know that if I had an opponent do something crazy and experimental that he had clearly never tried before in a competition, I would make him pay for it.

If you think you can get it, keep working on it, but on the street and in the competitions stick to what you know works. That's all I'm saying.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
True, but it would have been even stupider in a match where the other guy is seriously trying to maim you. I know that if I had an opponent do something crazy and experimental that he had clearly never tried before in a competition, I would make him pay for it.

If you think you can get it, keep working on it, but on the street and in the competitions stick to what you know works. That's all I'm saying.
i agree, i was laughing it up the whole time until i landed, on the second thought i am not sure if i will beable to stick it, because there is too much going on at once, i will never be able to get it if he still has his grips.

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"
kishiro is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishiro
i agree, i was laughing it up the whole time until i landed, on the second thought i am not sure if i will beable to stick it, because there is too much going on at once, i will never be able to get it if he still has his grips.
Yeah, this is another thing in grappling. You get to have fun and chill and talk, but one thing I have learned is that when you are doing a technique or trying to do something new, focus. If you let yourself get distracted, then something is much more likely to go wrong.

As far as the grip breaking, if that is what you need there are ways to force that in no-gi grappling. In gi grappling, if he grabs a sleeve or a lapel he is not going to let go unless he is duly motivated. There are ways of doing that.

Exactly what are you trying to do?



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Yeah, this is another thing in grappling. You get to have fun and chill and talk, but one thing I have learned is that when you are doing a technique or trying to do something new, focus. If you let yourself get distracted, then something is much more likely to go wrong.

As far as the grip breaking, if that is what you need there are ways to force that in no-gi grappling. In gi grappling, if he grabs a sleeve or a lapel he is not going to let go unless he is duly motivated. There are ways of doing that.

Exactly what are you trying to do?
i threw myself (when being thrown) with an ippon seoinage, as hard as i could, trying to land on my feet so they get no points, and i be on my feet to make space and counter.
without thinking this one all the way through i threw myself with the throw as planned, i landed on my feet, but the force of the throw was too great, i landed in the bridge position, it sent a shock in my foot & my leg gave under the weight of two of us in this position, spraining my ankle and i ended up in a hurdlers like position.
i was forced to land in that position because of his grips. can't pull this move off with his still having his grips.

what was i going for??? i really am not sure, i guess some "hidden dragon" move or something....

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"

Last edited by kishiro; 03-15-2007 at 02:23 AM.
kishiro is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishiro
what was i going for??? i really am not sure, i guess some "hidden dragon" move or something....
Here's a problem. If you don't know where your going, it's usually pretty hard to get there.

Sometimes it's better to give up a few points and look for a solid counter that is more likely to work. Not that a "hidden dragon" move isn't good and fun to watch, but sometimes its more practical to just take the fall and look for the counter next or (if your really intent on a shut-out) stay on center and keep control of him. (that's never as easy as it sounds)

Sounds like it might be okay to give up on this one, though.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
 
If I think of something really crazy, I'll try it as slow as possible at first, and when we are drilling.

not to spam, but this thread reminded me of this video:
YouTube - Backflip to Low Single

Im so tempted to try that but I know Ill probably just land on my head haha.
Tap112 is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap112
If I think of something really crazy, I'll try it as slow as possible at first, and when we are drilling.

not to spam, but this thread reminded me of this video:
YouTube - Backflip to Low Single

Im so tempted to try that but I know Ill probably just land on my head haha.
NICE MOVE!!!! that is what i am talking about. a move that you really can't do every time, but when pulled off it is the most impressive thing to be seen.
you must take risk sometimes. my situation i thought it was my time, sometimes things don't workout as planed.. unless your name is kyuzo mifune.

some guys here sound like they too had never had a point scored on them, or never made a mistake, or never got injured.
the reason i go is to learn, the most knowledgeable can learn from a guys first time ever on the mat. i belive it is better to try and fail than to not have tried at all

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"

Last edited by kishiro; 03-15-2007 at 09:08 PM.
kishiro is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
It's definitely better to f*ck up trying something new and innovative. Sometimes it's fun. I'm just saying that the place for that is training, not in competition and definitely not on the street.

Cool vid.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,511
           
So you basicly try to land on youre feet instead of youre back and when you hit the ground youre feet were under you re ass? Ouch, that must have hurt. Does it still hurt?
BJJ Boy is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: daly city
Posts: 575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ Boy
So you basicly try to land on youre feet instead of youre back and when you hit the ground youre feet were under you re ass? Ouch, that must have hurt. Does it still hurt?
yes it hurt, it still hurts, i am scared to put any real pressure to it

"every second your not training, he is..... and he is doing it, just to kick your ass"
kishiro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome