*spoilers* what now aoki? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Japanese MMA Discuss Japanese MMA in here, such as DREAM, Shooto, and World Victory Road and any other Japanese MMA federation.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybalboa25 View Post
Exactly multiple promoters is great for sports. Look what it did for boxing.
like it or not multiple promotions are always going to exist so its best they work together than not, the only cases where it doe snot work is if they are not wiling to work together like in Boxing, where as if you take a look at Football/Soccer for example, few European football fans would argue that The Champions League is the ultimate club football competition and this is a result of all major league across Europe working together, but then lets face it greedy American organisations dont believe in cooperation they just want all the money to be made in the sport for themselves and the good of the sport and what the fans want to see gets left behind and the sick thing is many Americans just see this as the way it is and fail to see that working together is better, but lets be honest Americans are hardly known for working with others, you only seen to understand greed.


KillerShark1985 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 9,929
                     
I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Noons. I think SF wants to set up a rubber match with Thompson and Gil other wise I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Thompson.

Aoki is going to crumble against anyone with good wrestling, he needs to stay in Japan and fight. He's not going to beat anyone in a cage. Not to mention I don't believe he cuts very much weight, so he'll be 10-20 pounds lighter than anyone he fights here in the states.

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
like it or not multiple promotions are always going to exist so its best they work together than not, the only cases where it doe snot work is if they are not wiling to work together like in Boxing, where as if you take a look at Football/Soccer for example, few European football fans would argue that The Champions League is the ultimate club football competition and this is a result of all major league across Europe working together, but then lets face it greedy American organisations dont believe in cooperation they just want all the money to be made in the sport for themselves and the good of the sport and what the fans want to see gets left behind and the sick thing is many Americans just see this as the way it is and fail to see that working together is better, but lets be honest Americans are hardly known for working with others, you only seen to understand greed.
I have no idea how European soccer works. So I think your analogy is somewhat lost on me. The best example I see as an analogy is basketball. In the beginning, there were two main orgainizations NBA and ABA like UFC and PRIDE. Just like those two one swallowed up the other and took the best players and ideas implemented them, and got rid of what didn't work. There are still small US organizations that eventually funnel some players into the NBA. Also the European leagues have some great talent, most of which eventually come play in the NBA. I think that is a great model as well.

As far as Americans not working well with others, you're originally talking about an American promotion strikeforce. Like I said I would comment on soccer but don't know anything about it.
rockybalboa25 is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerShark1985 View Post
like it or not multiple promotions are always going to exist so its best they work together than not, the only cases where it doe snot work is if they are not wiling to work together like in Boxing, where as if you take a look at Football/Soccer for example, few European football fans would argue that The Champions League is the ultimate club football competition and this is a result of all major league across Europe working together, but then lets face it greedy American organisations dont believe in cooperation they just want all the money to be made in the sport for themselves and the good of the sport and what the fans want to see gets left behind and the sick thing is many Americans just see this as the way it is and fail to see that working together is better, but lets be honest Americans are hardly known for working with others, you only seen to understand greed.
Yeah, Europeans are devoid of avarice. Especially Germany and the UK.
osmium is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Welterweight
 
Calibretto9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,218
                     
As has been said in the thread, I think anytime Aoki faces a wrestler he's going to get pounded. I'd definitely like to see more SF/Dream matchups with him, but I think he's going to come out on the losing end of those fights more often than not. I do think that fighting in the ring will benefit him as there is less room in a ring to keep away from him, but we'll see.

I think Melendez tools him even worse in the rematch.
Calibretto9 is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Bantamweight
 
Shoegazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 800
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibretto9 View Post
As has been said in the thread, I think anytime Aoki faces a wrestler he's going to get pounded. I'd definitely like to see more SF/Dream matchups with him, but I think he's going to come out on the losing end of those fights more often than not. I do think that fighting in the ring will benefit him as there is less room in a ring to keep away from him, but we'll see.

I think Melendez tools him even worse in the rematch.
I dunno...I can see Aoki submitting many aggressive wrestlers. I think it takes a pretty complete game of wrestling and striking to fight him off for 3+ rounds.

I'm certainly not convinced by the Melendez fight that Aoki is not a top 10 lightweight, especially in light of his last win. Yes, Melendez easily won each and every round, but Melendez was also nowhere near ending the fight. And yeah, he jumped into Aoki's guard several times and hit him in the face, but he was playing it moderately safe each time - fighting to outscore, first and foremost. Aoki looked lost to me for most of that fight, sorta like most japanese fighters look their first time in a cage. Credit Melendez for sure, it was great gameplan and Melendez had the rounded skills and discipline to pull it off. But I didn't see anything that made me think Aoki was necessarily out of his league. I think he now knows the power and speed of the american fighters, as well as their defensive use of wrestling, and will adjust accordingly. I have a hunch he shocks Melendez should they meet again.

Seriously though, I just can't imagine why Melendez would even want a rematch unless it was worth a LOT of money
Shoegazer is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegazer View Post
I dunno...I can see Aoki submitting many aggressive wrestlers. I think it takes a pretty complete game of wrestling and striking to fight him off for 3+ rounds.

I'm certainly not convinced by the Melendez fight that Aoki is not a top 10 lightweight, especially in light of his last win. Yes, Melendez easily won each and every round, but Melendez was also nowhere near ending the fight. And yeah, he jumped into Aoki's guard several times and hit him in the face, but he was playing it moderately safe each time - fighting to outscore, first and foremost. Aoki looked lost to me for most of that fight, sorta like most japanese fighters look their first time in a cage. Credit Melendez for sure, it was great gameplan and Melendez had the rounded skills and discipline to pull it off. But I didn't see anything that made me think Aoki was necessarily out of his league. I think he now knows the power and speed of the american fighters, as well as their defensive use of wrestling, and will adjust accordingly. I have a hunch he shocks Melendez should they meet again.

Seriously though, I just can't imagine why Melendez would even want a rematch unless it was worth a LOT of money
Even if Aoki beats Melendez. Melendez is still at best the #5 LW in the USA behind Edgar, Penn, Florian, and Maynard. I think guys like Heurta, Guida, Diego Sanchez, and Sotiropolis would all be pick 'ems vs Melendez.

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Shinya might be one dimensional.. but he is by far the best one dimensional grappler in the World. Bring on Maia, Werdum, Jake Shields..

There is really nobody who uses it so effectively!
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Shinya might be one dimensional.. but he is by far the best one dimensional grappler in the World. Bring on Maia, Werdum, Jake Shields..

There is really nobody who uses it so effectively!
Than why did he avoid the ground with Ribero?

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
Than why did he avoid the ground with Ribero?
Because he won the striking exchanges leif

He felt great on his feet and his kicks had beat Ribero up. In fact Ribero was the one who tried to take down Aoki.

He won that fight on his feet!
BobbyCooper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome