*spoilers* what now aoki? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Japanese MMA Discuss Japanese MMA in here, such as DREAM, Shooto, and World Victory Road and any other Japanese MMA federation.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Because he won the striking exchanges leif

He felt great on his feet and his kicks had beat Ribero up. In fact Ribero was the one who tried to take down Aoki.

He won that fight on his feet!
IMO Aoki has some nice subs, but his overall grappling can't hold up to some of the world class grapplers. Especially since he will be starting out on the bottom vs most of them.

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
IMO Aoki has some nice subs, but his overall grappling can't hold up to some of the world class grapplers. Especially since he will be starting out on the bottom vs most of them.
Yea, but that doesn't bother him at all!

For me Aoki is the best MMA grappler today. He goes in there grabs a leg and holds on to it, until it's over. I don't see that from anybody else out there.

Maia is the only guy wich comes close right now. But he never finished a high level guy so far by submission. If he finishes Belcher then it's even closer.

But so far Aoki is the only guy who goes in there constantly and subs his opponents just like that.
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Yea, but that doesn't bother him at all!

For me Aoki is the best MMA grappler today. He goes in there grabs a leg and holds on to it, until it's over. I don't see that from anybody else out there.

Maia is the only guy wich comes close right now. But he never finished a high level guy so far by submission. If he finishes Belcher then it's even closer.

But so far Aoki is the only guy who goes in there constantly and subs his opponents just like that.
I think Maia is better, but it's a pick em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Shinya might be one dimensional.. but he is by far the best one dimensional grappler in the World. Bring on Maia, Werdum, Jake Shields..

There is really nobody who uses it so effectively!
I don't agree that Shields is a one dimensional grappler. He is a two dimensional grappler: great wrestling and great BJJ.
rockybalboa25 is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybalboa25 View Post
I think Maia is better, but it's a pick em.
I think it's a pick em as well.. but actually Aoki finished much tougher competition with his sick ground skills then Maia. Maia only subbed cans so far except Chael!

Quote:
I don't agree that Shields is a one dimensional grappler. He is a two dimensional grappler: great wrestling and great BJJ.
Well if you look at it that way, then Aoki is also a two dimensional grappler with his Judo and BJJ background.
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Bantamweight
 
Shoegazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 800
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
For me Aoki is the best MMA grappler today. He goes in there grabs a leg and holds on to it, until it's over. I don't see that from anybody else out there.
I agree, with the caveat that he's the best submission grappler out there. There are a few other fantastic grapplers out there that use it more for positional control than as a means to a finish...Aoki is grabbing you for one reason and one reason only...to twist the appendage off.
Shoegazer is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Just don't see it. There are several guys in his own division that would beat him in a grappling match.

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
Just don't see it. There are several guys in his own division that would beat him in a grappling match.
Who

BJ Penn? I doupt he stands a chance anymore!
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Who

BJ Penn? I doupt he stands a chance anymore!

What makes you say that, him losing a controversial standup battle decision?
rockybalboa25 is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Middleweight
 
KillerShark1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,806
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Who

BJ Penn? I doupt he stands a chance anymore!
I wish I could get one of my mates to say that, because I would have 100 with anyone I know that says Penn not only wins but finishes Edgar to regain his title at UFC 118, I think we are about to see a much more aggressive BJ Penn in this next fight.

And you know the sick thing about this call is that I picked Edgar to win the fist fight, in fact I was the only person I think who thought that Edgar woudl take the title from Penn and here is the proof if you want to check it out for yourself:

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/74169-as...ml#post1148707

But part of the reason I made that call is because I believed Penn had become to predictable, I believed that Penn would just go out and do nothing we have not seen him do before and that he would underestimate Edgar and not try to adjust his own style and strategy to counter Edgar effectively, where as I believed that Edgar would be ready for Penn, like I said predictable.

But like I said in the post link above, I believed back then that Penn was still the better fighter and that Edgar was just a bad stylistic match up assuming he did not adjust his strategy, which he didn't and Edgar took the win just as I predicted.

But this time Penn wont made that mistake again and I believe he will come out with a better strategy to handle Edgar and I believe he will be much more aggressive and get the finish, I predict 4th round OK or TKO Penn.


KillerShark1985 is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Yes, I think BJ Penn would lose a grappling match against the best MMA grappler in Shinya Aoki! Shocking isn't it?

Nice call Killershark.
BobbyCooper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome