MMA strikers in K-1 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
K-1 Grand Prix K-1 is a combat sport that combines stand up techniques from Muay Thai, Karate, Savate, San shou, Kickboxing and traditional Boxing to determine the single best stand-up fighter in the world (the "1").

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
OG Heavy Hitter
 
BloodJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,663
                     
MMA strikers in K-1

As some of you have probably seen, there is a thread about Melvin Manhoef being a guy that could possibly beat Anderson Silva in the UFC section. The discussion has turned to several members stating that Silva would dominate Manhoef in the striking department and some taking it further by downplaying the abilities of K-1 level strikers altogether.

I wanted to take the time to ask my K-1 guys what they think about that.

Also I would like to see what established MMA strikers you guys think would be competitive in the K-1 setting.

This list is very short for me personally but I would like to get your take on it.



Credit to Toxic for the sick sig!
BloodJunkie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Would Silva win the standup, possibly but in no way does he dominate. People are seeming to get Melvin's explosivness confused with being sloppy, this is a guy who beat Karaev.
MLS is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
OG Heavy Hitter
 
BloodJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,663
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
Would Silva win the standup, possibly but in no way does he dominate. People are seeming to get Melvin's explosivness confused with being sloppy, this is a guy who beat Karaev.
I hear you MLS, I think that Silva is one of the few MMA fighters that would be able to compete in K-1. With that said there is no way he is DOMINATING any K-1 fighter.

I mentioned in that thread that Manhoef beat Kareav but nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. I love when people argue a point but only have knowledge of one side of it.



Credit to Toxic for the sick sig!
BloodJunkie is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
No doubt, like whoever said that I only thought Spong could beat Silva because he was a k-1 fighter, wtf, one fight in k-1 he has had. People don't understand that Melvin is used to having to get inside to strike and is comfortable with it. If he can get inside Remy he can get inside Anderson. My only problem would be Melvin's conditioning because sometimes it sucks.
MLS is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
ASS MAN
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,063
                     
I really liked that thread and how it started(at first) because when I was looking back(doing research for the DREAM grand prix) on Manhoef I freaking loved the way the guy fought but obviously the Silva love overshadowed many a posters thoughts. K-1 style(though I will not even pretend to know all the differences) I think that battle would be epic and I would salivate to see it. The things I gave credit for Silva was the reach advantage and Melvin's conditioning.

Quite honestly I do think that Melvin's stand-up with his power and aggression would be a great test for Silva K-1 wise and I would not be shocked if Melvin could take that fight.

I said I would post here more before and I lied but I will try more often- I just get behind trying to catch up with UFC, DREAM, Affliction and the other orgs. All the fights and clips of K-1 are always good and I still have my old love for Micheal McDonald and Melvin rocks the same short/skirt thingy which I dig.

Walker is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
OG Heavy Hitter
 
BloodJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,663
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
No doubt, like whoever said that I only thought Spong could beat Silva because he was a k-1 fighter, wtf, one fight in k-1 he has had. People don't understand that Melvin is used to having to get inside to strike and is comfortable with it. If he can get inside Remy he can get inside Anderson. My only problem would be Melvin's conditioning because sometimes it sucks.
Like when he fought Cyborg. I was pretty disappointed in that fight actually. Manhoef should have destroyed Cyborg in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I really liked that thread and how it started(at first) because when I was looking back(doing research for the DREAM grand prix) on Manhoef I freaking loved the way the guy fought but obviously the Silva love overshadowed many a posters thoughts. K-1 style(though I will not even pretend to know all the differences) I think that battle would be epic and I would salivate to see it. The things I gave credit for Silva was the reach advantage and Melvin's conditioning.

Quite honestly I do think that Melvin's stand-up with his power and aggression would be a great test for Silva K-1 wise and I would not be shocked if Melvin could take that fight.

I said I would post here more before and I lied but I will try more often- I just get behind trying to catch up with UFC, DREAM, Affliction and the other orgs. All the fights and clips of K-1 are always good and I still have my old love for Micheal McDonald and Melvin rocks the same short/skirt thingy which I dig.
You're one of the guys that was looking at that matchup rationally instead of talking out the side of your neck like the people that ruined that thread with uneducated comments. The funny thing was that none of the K-1 guys even said that Manhoef wouldn't lose that fight just that he wouldn't be dominated in the standup by Silva like everybody else has been.

I would love to see that fight too! I honestly think that the best chance of Silva losing will be if he is matched up with a K-1 caliber striker.



Credit to Toxic for the sick sig!

Last edited by BloodJunkie; 08-07-2008 at 10:06 PM.
BloodJunkie is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
                     
I was enjoying that thread until it turned into Anderson>God.

I think Manhoef would give Anderson a hell of a fight and possibly win.

Now for guys who I think can hang in K-1 (note I only have a limited knowledge of K-1) I would say Rampage would do ok in K-1 He looked good when he faced Cyril and his standup is very powerful however I don't think he would be a top guy.

I think Fedor would be a solid K-1 guy but defiantly not top either.

Arlovski is someone who I think would do great in K-1 if he lets his hands go because his hands are amazingly fast.

Now in the lower weightclasses I would go with Dida who already looked pretty good in K-1 and while I don't think he will be one of the best in the world with his power he is a tough guy for anyone in K-1 IMO.
bbjd7 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
OG Heavy Hitter
 
BloodJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,663
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjd7 View Post
I was enjoying that thread until it turned into Anderson>God.

I think Manhoef would give Anderson a hell of a fight and possibly win.

Now for guys who I think can hang in K-1 (note I only have a limited knowledge of K-1) I would say Rampage would do ok in K-1 He looked good when he faced Cyril and his standup is very powerful however I don't think he would be a top guy.

I think Fedor would be a solid K-1 guy but defiantly not top either.

Arlovski is someone who I think would do great in K-1 if he lets his hands go because his hands are amazingly fast.

Now in the lower weightclasses I would go with Dida who already looked pretty good in K-1 and while I don't think he will be one of the best in the world with his power he is a tough guy for anyone in K-1 IMO.
Very respectable choices bbjd. I could see all those guys you mentioned being competitive at the mid level in K-1.

One guy that I could see being very successful in K-1 if he were to switch to strictly training striking is Paul "Semtex" Daley. He already comes from a kickboxing backround to begin with and has absolutely outclassed every opponent put in front of him in regards to the standup.

Another that could have some moderate success IMO is Paul Taylor.

The only problem with these guys is that they don't fit into any of the current weight classes that are used in K-1.



Credit to Toxic for the sick sig!
BloodJunkie is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
I know some people are going to say Antoni Hardonk would do good but after what Hari did to him (and pretty early in Hari's career) I think the best he would get to is a mid level fighter and a lot of that has to do with the HW's being a little weak right now.
MLS is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Bantamweight
 
ean6789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 756
                     
Ya i couldnt believe that thread the way ppl were coming out and saying Manhoef would have absolutely zero chance and he was just some POS fighter. It seemed like alot of them as you stated knew next to nothing bout him and had no respect for what topnotch k-1 standup brings to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjd7 View Post
I was enjoying that thread until it turned into Anderson>God.

I think Manhoef would give Anderson a hell of a fight and possibly win.

Now for guys who I think can hang in K-1 (note I only have a limited knowledge of K-1) I would say Rampage would do ok in K-1 He looked good when he faced Cyril and his standup is very powerful however I don't think he would be a top guy.

I think Fedor would be a solid K-1 guy but defiantly not top either.

Arlovski is someone who I think would do great in K-1 if he lets his hands go because his hands are amazingly fast.

Now in the lower weightclasses I would go with Dida who already looked pretty good in K-1 and while I don't think he will be one of the best in the world with his power he is a tough guy for anyone in K-1 IMO.
Damn you and BloodJunkie kinda named everybody i could think of. Here how about i give a noob answer one of the posters in the melvin thread would say: Mirko Crocop haha
Maybe Sylvia being a Terrible Terrible version of Shilt



"Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island"
ean6789 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome