The Stop Smoking Thread. - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,657
                     
Funny... I can have a completely casual relationship with cocaine. I have had for 15 years. Tiny amounts last me forever. I can have it around me and not be tempted to abuse it in any way.

Fecking Nicotine and Caffeine on the other hand, I can not control at all. I either have to do none whatsoever... or I end up falling into junky like abuse. In no time, its 6 coffees a day and 20 cigs. I'm disgusted with my lack of will power.

If you ask me, they've criminalized the wrong shit.
Soojooko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Funny... I can have a completely casual relationship with cocaine. I have had for 15 years. Tiny amounts last me forever. I can have it around me and not be tempted to abuse it in any way.

Fecking Nicotine and Caffeine on the other hand, I can not control at all. I either have to do none whatsoever... or I end up falling into junky like abuse. In no time, its 6 coffees a day and 20 cigs. I'm disgusted with my lack of will power.

If you ask me, they've criminalized the wrong shit.
Of course they have. The drugs that cause the most harm, cause the most deaths are the legal ones! I'm talking tobacco, alchohol, prescription meds. The meds are really ******* lethal. If a pharmaceutical company tells a doctor that this drug does that then the doctor is inclined to believe. Most of them don't work, placebos, like anti-depressants, and most are harmful.

When it comes to things like cannabis, ecstacy, cocaine, magic mushrooms, how many times do you see or hear about a death that has directly came as result of the use of these drugs? I ask, show me one case. and I'll showe you someone who either took too much or didnt stay properly hydrated. The same thing people do when they drink too much, or smoke too much, the body says, whoa there!, thats too much, here, have some cancer, or here, have a yellow kidney. Its only the trusted legal ones that cause this shit.

The last bag of weed I bought didn't have any warnings about Arsenic, Cyanide, Formaldehyde, Shellac or Acetone. The last pack of cigarettes did.




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Phantom Cam Lesbians
 
AJClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Englandland.
Posts: 1,482
                     
The legal drugs and most harmful drugs have tax on them... They'll never be illegal.

I'm about 4 months into not smoking now. Went from around 20-30 a day. I've thought about them every single day and amd chuffed every single day that for some reason I no longer need them.

That being said, I got wasted a few nights ago and had one. Just 'cause... ya know? It tasted like shit. I can't remember much from that night, but I remember that evil tasting little bastard. Won't be having another one of those in a while!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have a new demon to vanquish now though.



Sounds retarded, I know. Went 23 years never having fizzy drinks, and now I can't stop.
I can quit cigs yet can't go a day without that f*cker!

Sorry to derail thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnen
@sonnench
30 min to cement your legacy. Champ or Coward? I make a lot more than you do... Show up in 8 days I'll give you my purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisping
@bisping
Jones said he's not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. .... Just sayin
AJClark is offline  
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Big Dawg
 
Ruckus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 911
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Fury View Post
Of course they have. The drugs that cause the most harm, cause the most deaths are the legal ones! I'm talking tobacco, alchohol, prescription meds. The meds are really ******* lethal. If a pharmaceutical company tells a doctor that this drug does that then the doctor is inclined to believe. Most of them don't work, placebos, like anti-depressants, and most are harmful.

When it comes to things like cannabis, ecstacy, cocaine, magic mushrooms, how many times do you see or hear about a death that has directly came as result of the use of these drugs? I ask, show me one case. and I'll showe you someone who either took too much or didnt stay properly hydrated. The same thing people do when they drink too much, or smoke too much, the body says, whoa there!, thats too much, here, have some cancer, or here, have a yellow kidney. Its only the trusted legal ones that cause this shit.

The last bag of weed I bought didn't have any warnings about Arsenic, Cyanide, Formaldehyde, Shellac or Acetone. The last pack of cigarettes did.
On one hand I agree with the side of marijuana and mushrooms. however to make the statement that cocaine or ecstasy deaths are a result of using too much or not being properly hydrated is a bit inaccurate.

Quote:
Cocaine is the most frequently reported illicit substance associated with drug abuse fatalities and causes three times more deaths than any other illegal drug. However, prescription drug abuse has recently passed cocaine abuse as the leading cause of all drug-related deaths.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5842a1.htm

Are there some people out there that can use some illicit drugs recreationally and not have an issue. Sure. Are there some people that OD and die simply because the did a line, absolutely.

In regards to ecstasy, it is viable that someone can die. I personally know of a case where about 30 people dropped and 1 girl wound up in a coma and died. Its a real bold statement to put cocaine and ecstasy in the same category as weed.

Now, back to your point on Rx drugs. This is where the real problem lies today. It is real easy to go to a doctor with an ailment and get prescribed ANYTHING. The pharmaceutical industry spends more on advertising than it does on R&D. This tells me that the problem is not going to go away anytime soon.

Not too jump too far off topic, I don't drink or do illegal drugs and now I am over a month of non smoking. Its rough, I work in a real stressful environment at times and everyone is smoking. It does get easier everyday though. This thread was absolutely the push I needed in the right direction.

Ruckus is offline  
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJClark View Post
The legal drugs and most harmful drugs have tax on them... They'll never be illegal.

I'm about 4 months into not smoking now. Went from around 20-30 a day. I've thought about them every single day and amd chuffed every single day that for some reason I no longer need them.

That being said, I got wasted a few nights ago and had one. Just 'cause... ya know? It tasted like shit. I can't remember much from that night, but I remember that evil tasting little bastard. Won't be having another one of those in a while!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have a new demon to vanquish now though.



Sounds retarded, I know. Went 23 years never having fizzy drinks, and now I can't stop.
I can quit cigs yet can't go a day without that f*cker!

Sorry to derail thread.
No derailing going on here dude. I'm with you on the Dr Pepper dude! Love that shit. Next on my list is fizzy drinks and alcohol. I'm no alcoloic and I don't really go out as much as I used to so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
On one hand I agree with the side of marijuana and mushrooms. however to make the statement that cocaine or ecstasy deaths are a result of using too much or not being properly hydrated is a bit inaccurate.



http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5842a1.htm

Are there some people out there that can use some illicit drugs recreationally and not have an issue. Sure. Are there some people that OD and die simply because the did a line, absolutely.

In regards to ecstasy, it is viable that someone can die. I personally know of a case where about 30 people dropped and 1 girl wound up in a coma and died. Its a real bold statement to put cocaine and ecstasy in the same category as weed.

Now, back to your point on Rx drugs. This is where the real problem lies today. It is real easy to go to a doctor with an ailment and get prescribed ANYTHING. The pharmaceutical industry spends more on advertising than it does on R&D. This tells me that the problem is not going to go away anytime soon.

Not too jump too far off topic, I don't drink or do illegal drugs and now I am over a month of non smoking. Its rough, I work in a real stressful environment at times and everyone is smoking. It does get easier everyday though. This thread was absolutely the push I needed in the right direction.
Few points to address. First, I think its awesome this thread has helped. Its exactly what I was looking to do. I've got to the point now where I can't actually remember when I stopped smoking. About 6 weeks ago I think. I honestly find it so easy now. The smell when people smoke is absolutely revolting. The whole aroma really sickens me which I'm somewhat suprised about. I can also now really ensconce myself in aphotic bliss now I have no nicotine inside me.

I have to say, if you want to talk about illegal drugs then I really wouldn't quote a government website. Do you really trust your government? If they can lie on some issues then they can lie on any issue. And they do. I'm not suprised some people drop dead when taking things like ecstacy or cocaine, merely because of the horrible shit dealers mix with it. In its purest form, coke and ecstacy (MDMA) are far less lethal and cause far less deaths than alcohol and tobacco. I'm not putting them in the same bracket as cannabis and mushrooms, because they are natural. I'm just saying they are not even close to alcohol and tobacco when it comes to deaths. Legal highs are also very deadly.

Also glad you agree on prescription meds!

The higher elite want us all to be mindless zombies and through tobacco, alcohol, drugs, music and the media they are successful.




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
Bumped!

And for good reason. I started smoking again after 6 months of abstinence. I've been feeling nostalgic so been reading old threads and this one came up. I really think its time I stopped again and this time for good. It would be interesting to see where everybody else is in terms of there abstinence from tobacco. Quite a few people on here were at different stages of quitting and some had only quit for a few months.

Last time I used your comments and thoughts about this to help me so would be nice to do the same again.




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 PM
YNWA
 
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 4,602
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Bumped!

And for good reason. I started smoking again after 6 months of abstinence. I've been feeling nostalgic so been reading old threads and this one came up. I really think its time I stopped again and this time for good. It would be interesting to see where everybody else is in terms of there abstinence from tobacco. Quite a few people on here were at different stages of quitting and some had only quit for a few months.

Last time I used your comments and thoughts about this to help me so would be nice to do the same again.
I'm an expert at quitting. Been doing it for 15 years now

The initial few days isn't as bad as some people make out. You just need a little bit of determination and good timing.

The hard part about quitting is staying that way. I've gone about 6 months 4 times, each time I start its because I think I've cracked it and just one ciggie when I'm out won't hurt... but it does. Been addicted to ***s is like any other addiction... you can't have another cig at all, in any circumstance.

My mother had a few smokes after she found out my gran (her mam) had cancer. She'd been quit for about 20 years and now she's back on 20 a day.

Personally I'm at 7 months... still consider myself an addict though as there isn't a single day goes by that I don't fancy a smoke.

F˙cking beginning is the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. Nicotine is a super addictive drug and its use should be banned. Im with Soojooko, I've casually flirted with just about every recreational drug there is over a period of 15 years (but not since my daughter was born)... Ecstasy, Speed, Coke, Grass and never been hooked on any of them... The wrong drugs are most definitely banned

Spite is offline  
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spite View Post
I'm an expert at quitting. Been doing it for 15 years now

The initial few days isn't as bad as some people make out. You just need a little bit of determination and good timing.

The hard part about quitting is staying that way. I've gone about 6 months 4 times, each time I start its because I think I've cracked it and just one ciggie when I'm out won't hurt... but it does. Been addicted to ***s is like any other addiction... you can't have another cig at all, in any circumstance.

My mother had a few smokes after she found out my gran (her mam) had cancer. She'd been quit for about 20 years and now she's back on 20 a day.

Personally I'm at 7 months... still consider myself an addict though as there isn't a single day goes by that I don't fancy a smoke.

F˙cking beginning is the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. Nicotine is a super addictive drug and its use should be banned. Im with Soojooko, I've casually flirted with just about every recreational drug there is over a period of 15 years (but not since my daughter was born)... Ecstasy, Speed, Coke, Grass and never been hooked on any of them... The wrong drugs are most definitely banned
Thanks for the reply. I can relate to what you're saying. I went about 6 months cigarette free. I could go out with mates and have a few drinks and not need a ***, it was well good. Then I remember having a beer at home. Something in my head said that one won't hurt. But it really did. That first smoke after 6 months was something akin to coming up on ecstasy. And I'm not exaggerating. Well, maybe slightly. My skin tingled, felt a warm flush of familiar joy, I felt slightly lightheaded, was good it was. So, yeah, carried on smoking. Shit I know. When I quit this time I think I'll use the same methods as last time. Patches, inhalator and a shit load of weed. Just got to remember this time, one will indeed make a difference.

Edit. Agree with your stance on recreational drugs. I too have flirted with most and never got hooked. Although I haven't tried the dirty drugs like heroin, crack or meth and never will.




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Latvia
Posts: 3,862
                     
Funny this thread came up, I'm actually trying to quit starting from today.

I wanted to quit a while ago and did try to do it, but I just couldn't help but smoke at work. All the people smoking and the need of taking a break.. hard not to smoke. At home though, a whole different ball game. I actually pretty much don't smoke when I'm home. I could spend the whole day at home and I will end up smoking MAX 2 cigs.

So yeah, I'm on vacation now, I figured I'll quit now, because the first days are crazy at work.
Leed is online now  
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
Funny this thread came up, I'm actually trying to quit starting from today.

I wanted to quit a while ago and did try to do it, but I just couldn't help but smoke at work. All the people smoking and the need of taking a break.. hard not to smoke. At home though, a whole different ball game. I actually pretty much don't smoke when I'm home. I could spend the whole day at home and I will end up smoking MAX 2 cigs.

So yeah, I'm on vacation now, I figured I'll quit now, because the first days are crazy at work.
Hellz yeah. We'll do it together. Are you going cold turkey ir are you using aids?




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome