MMA fighter leaves one attacker dead, another wounded following home invasion - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 AM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,459
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Ive only ever seen a real gun a handful of times and Ive only ever shot a real gun once (a friend who is a farmer let me shoot his rifle one time). I don't know anyone who has been shot, i've never heard of anyone I know or who lives in the local area being shot.

Not that I'm anti gun or anything (nor am i pro gun) but the stats do speak for themselves. Guns are rare in the UK. Even on the news, you very rarely hear of shootings.

Honestly, I'd love to live in the USA but I could never ever move there and expose my children to the risk of being shot up at school or held up at gun point in the street. Yeah, muggings happen here and people get stabbed sometimes but you can run away from a knife... you cant run away from a gun.
Killz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,522
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
All those mass shootings casualities could have been a lot lower if just one other person was packing and could shoot the criminal dead.
Probably not. The problem is chaos. There may be several "good guys" to pull their guns, but in chaos you cannot really distinguish between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". So everyone with a gun in his hand will be considered a high threat and "good guys" start shooting at "good guys with guns", because they don't know that they are "good guys" but only see "guys with guns" shooting at other people. It's not a computer game where the "bad guys" are marked so you know who to shoot. Instead, because of the chaos there will be a lot of friendly fire.
Voiceless is offline  
post #23 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 AM
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 15,256
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
Probably not. The problem is chaos. There may be several "good guys" to pull their guns, but in chaos you cannot really distinguish between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". So everyone with a gun in his hand will be considered a high threat and "good guys" start shooting at "good guys with guns", because they don't know that they are "good guys" but only see "guys with guns" shooting at other people. It's not a computer game where the "bad guys" are marked so you know who to shoot. Instead, because of the chaos there will be a lot of friendly fire.
Well clearly if everyone is ducking in a held up bank we all know who the criminal is, and the colorado movie shooting there was one guy with all the weaponary clearing everything in his path away. You can't tell me in instances like that a citizen with a gun couldn't have taken said criminals out and shorten the damage.

I'll tell you one thing if I was a criminal I would be hoping for guns to be outlawed because then the risk of committing crimes and not getting my ass shot drops significantly and I would get away with way more.


Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline  
post #24 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,522
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
Well clearly if everyone is ducking in a held up bank we all know who the criminal is, and the colorado movie shooting there was one guy with all the weaponary clearing everything in his path away. You can't tell me in instances like that a citizen with a gun couldn't have taken said criminals out and shorten the damage.
You (and in particular the police) can tell, because they are the ones with the guns. Now what happens when other people also have their guns pulled and shoot, how do you distinguish¿

There is friendly fire even among highly trained soldiers, "accounting for an estimated 2% to 20% of all casualties in battle". So it's very unlikely for civilians to be more cool headed and to be able to distinguish between the "bad guys" and the "good guys" in a chaotic situation when the shooting begins.

Quote:
I'll tell you one thing if I was a criminal I would be hoping for guns to be outlawed because then the risk of committing crimes and not getting my ass shot drops significantly and I would get away with way more.
That's why the crime rates in the US are so low
Voiceless is offline  
post #25 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Xanadu
Posts: 4,505
                     
Are YOU afraid sitting in your own living room?

Are YOU afraid when you sit in a movie theatre?

Fear not faithful american consumer, because we offering you, straight from the Israeli army commandos a Fully automatic MR588 assault rifle , 200 rounds a minute, optional grenade launcher AND a free set of armour piercing teflon coated bullets!

Don't feel afraid drinking coffee in your local diner anymore, with your fully automatic war machine, you'll never have to think twice about your families safety! Just shoot on site! For only $399, you can now fight back!





***Disclaimer: If you shoot on site NRA takes no responsibility and will in fact state your gun did not have enough bullets and that is why you needed to shoot on site. Should you have had more bullets you would not have felt that necessary
**Please do not get drunk and leave your assault weapon accessible to pyschotic children whom have recently watched the hunger games.
DonRifle is offline  
post #26 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 15,256
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
You (and in particular the police) can tell, because they are the ones with the guns. Now what happens when other people also have their guns pulled and shoot, how do you distinguish¿

There is friendly fire even among highly trained soldiers, "accounting for an estimated 2% to 20% of all casualties in battle". So it's very unlikely for civilians to be more cool headed and to be able to distinguish between the "bad guys" and the "good guys" in a chaotic situation when the shooting begins.



That's why the crime rates in the US are so low
You really think taking away guns by making ridiculous laws will stump crooks and they will say well gee guess we can't get guns anymore because the law says so. No instead they will be like wow thanks for making this way easier for us, we'll just get some illegal imported guns and rob or kill anyone we want without any fear of retaliation. Crime rates won't just disappear because of a knee jerk reaction to the next kid on meds who shouldn't have a gun anyways shoots up a public place.


Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline  
post #27 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 AM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,297
                     
I wonder if all these articles stating "MMA" fighter is a method of publicizing the negative or positive aspects of the sport. You rarely hear about an XYZ athlete who's a no namer or a "Navy Seals or Green Beret" hurting someone ya know what I mean. There's always an emphasis on MMA. Cool story, but I find it funny on how they title it. I think it's just a headline grabber.

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline  
post #28 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,522
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
You really think taking away guns by making ridiculous laws will stump crooks and they will say well gee guess we can't get guns anymore because the law says so. No instead they will be like wow thanks for making this way easier for us, we'll just get some illegal imported guns and rob or kill anyone we want without any fear of retaliation. Crime rates won't just disappear because of a knee jerk reaction to the next kid on meds who shouldn't have a gun anyways shoots up a public place.
By your logic the US would have the least crime rates in the world as it's probably the country with the most legal guns in civilian hands. But that has been disproven.
Voiceless is offline  
post #29 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,589
                     
I'm surprised at how civil this gun debate is.

My opinion is short and sweet. If everyone had a gun I'd be scared shitless because people are morons. I'd rather have the odd bad guy rob me than the whole freaking town carrying guns. Seriously, if my neighbour had a gun I'm positive I'd already be dead. Twice.




Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm
Hammerlock2.0 is offline  
post #30 of 184 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,522
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerlock2.0 View Post
I'm surprised at how civil this gun debate is.

My opinion is short and sweet. If everyone had a gun I'd be scared shitless because people are morons. I'd rather have the odd bad guy rob me than the whole freaking town carrying guns. Seriously, if my neighbour had a gun I'm positive I'd already be dead. Twice.
But if you had a gun, you could shoot him first!

Havent't basically all school shootings in Germany in the last 20 years been done with legal guns¿ (Yet video games were announced the problem)
Voiceless is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome