That is soooo offensive! - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply

Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
pt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level now
Lightbulb That is soooo offensive!

Let's talk about offense, and getting offended. Do you? I don't, and it interests me quite a lot when certain things offend one person, but not another.

What offends you, and why?

Does a word offend you? A concept? A noise, smell, look, taste? I'm not talking about things that offend our sense, but things that offend our sensibilities. I believe that the nature of offense starts with taking things too seriously. If you take something so seriously that the presence, or absence of it, somehow offends you, you're probably taking it to seriously to begin with.

For example, why does the "N-word" offend people? I know the answer of course, but if you think about it, what is there really to get offended about? Taking offense at something is essentially a knee-jerk reaction; a backfire of sorts. Nobody ever stops to take the time and wonder if that which offends them, is worth the possible confrontation that might ensue. When someone says something that offends us, why don't we just let it go? Logically, the more things you let slide off your back, the less confrontations you'll get into, and therefore, the less danger you actually put yourself in. Now, of course, not all offenses lead to confrontations, but even minor ones, such as someone taking offense at someone suggesting something about them. Why care? Personally, I think that if you take offense at something, you're taking yourself too seriously.

The reason I bring this up is because of situations like the following. Crazy civil-rights extremists that want to ban words. Sure the words hold bad meanings, but if nobody took offense at them, the confrontations which are brought about by their use would simply go away. People who get offended at certain humor, for example. Why? How could you possibly get offended at something you don't like? If you don't like it, don't listen/watch/read, or participate in it. It really is that simple.

Part of the problem is that we really do live in a reality where all we believe, we must assume others believe as well. It's a way of checking ourselves. If I don't like something, then you probably don't either, because why would I be the only one who felt such a way.

The way I look at it, there's absolutely no reason to get offended at anything. Even if someone insults your child. What is going to get accomplished by starting a fight, getting arrested, etc... Worse, is when someone gets insulted them self. That makes the least sense because if there was no physical harm done to you, there's nothing to be upset about. Nothing happened. Someone just said something. Get over it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but shit like this interests the hell out of me because it is one of the main reasons for human conflict. We actually get upset at things that other people don't mind. Its deeper than that, and often involves culture, religion, etc., but if we all just stopped, and realized that there's no reason to get offended at anything, a lot of conflicts would go away.

Unfortunetly, human nature usually kicks in, and since most people don't take the time to think about anything, we, as a species, often act impulsively at perceived threats where none exist.

so go ahead, flame away. call me a liberal hippie. I can take it. I promise I won't get offended!
__________________
whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino
pt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Arlovski_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,757
Arlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level nowArlovski_Fan is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt447
Let's talk about offense, and getting offended. Do you? I don't, and it interests me quite a lot when certain things offend one person, but not another.

What offends you, and why?

Does a word offend you? A concept? A noise, smell, look, taste? I'm not talking about things that offend our sense, but things that offend our sensibilities. I believe that the nature of offense starts with taking things too seriously. If you take something so seriously that the presence, or absence of it, somehow offends you, you're probably taking it to seriously to begin with.

For example, why does the "N-word" offend people? I know the answer of course, but if you think about it, what is there really to get offended about? Taking offense at something is essentially a knee-jerk reaction; a backfire of sorts. Nobody ever stops to take the time and wonder if that which offends them, is worth the possible confrontation that might ensue. When someone says something that offends us, why don't we just let it go? Logically, the more things you let slide off your back, the less confrontations you'll get into, and therefore, the less danger you actually put yourself in. Now, of course, not all offenses lead to confrontations, but even minor ones, such as someone taking offense at someone suggesting something about them. Why care? Personally, I think that if you take offense at something, you're taking yourself too seriously.

The reason I bring this up is because of situations like the following. Crazy civil-rights extremists that want to ban words. Sure the words hold bad meanings, but if nobody took offense at them, the confrontations which are brought about by their use would simply go away. People who get offended at certain humor, for example. Why? How could you possibly get offended at something you don't like? If you don't like it, don't listen/watch/read, or participate in it. It really is that simple.

Part of the problem is that we really do live in a reality where all we believe, we must assume others believe as well. It's a way of checking ourselves. If I don't like something, then you probably don't either, because why would I be the only one who felt such a way.

The way I look at it, there's absolutely no reason to get offended at anything. Even if someone insults your child. What is going to get accomplished by starting a fight, getting arrested, etc... Worse, is when someone gets insulted them self. That makes the least sense because if there was no physical harm done to you, there's nothing to be upset about. Nothing happened. Someone just said something. Get over it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but shit like this interests the hell out of me because it is one of the main reasons for human conflict. We actually get upset at things that other people don't mind. Its deeper than that, and often involves culture, religion, etc., but if we all just stopped, and realized that there's no reason to get offended at anything, a lot of conflicts would go away.

Unfortunetly, human nature usually kicks in, and since most people don't take the time to think about anything, we, as a species, often act impulsively at perceived threats where none exist.

so go ahead, flame away. call me a liberal hippie. I can take it. I promise I won't get offended!
I don't think people should really be offended by a certain word, but I can mabey understand being offended in a certain context. A black guy saying to his friends "Wazup my N-words?" and then a white friend of his says the same to him, there is no reason to be offended. Now, if a white guy said "I hope you N-words burn in hell for ever" and then say a lot of bad stereotypes TRYING to be mean, I can see someone taking offense to that.
Starting a fight off of a "Yo-mama" joke is really extreme, and sadly happens a LOT. On a really basic level nothing SHOULD get people to the point of fighting over words, but some people for some reason think fighting is a way of defending someones honor. I have mixed feelings on it, since something really pathetic like "Yo mama's so fat, she's fat" wouldn't really get me mad, but if they start really getting into or start insulting my friends/family based on something they can't control, would push me to retaliate(probably not with fists though).
__________________
*_*_*_*_*_UFC FANTASY TEAM*_*_*_*_*
Wanderlei Silva
Evan Tanner
Kenny Florian
Alan Belcher
Alessio Sakara
Arlovski_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
pt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level now
ah, but the point is, there's nothing to be offended at. you just explained the context of the offense. If people just shrugged all that sort of thing off, nobody would get offended. You choose to get offended. You choose to aknwoledge the attempt by another, or the slip-up by another, as something worth getting angry about.

If you simply chose to ignore stuff like that, you wouldn't get offended at it. Like honestly, what's the point of caring if someone insults yoru mom? it doesn't hurt her. it's just words. And i'm not talking about idiotic gang fools who think that by shooting someone they're own value goes up. If you choose to get offended, then you, solely, are responsible for anything that follows. And even if, like i said, it doesn't lead to a confrontation, what the hell is the worth of getting upset over words?

Let it go, you'll live longer, and be much happier.

and of course this goes to all sorts of belief. People get offended that others might not pray before dinner, or get offended that a young couple kisses in public. Who cares? It's like when someone says, "i can't eat now, thanks", after hearing a fart, or seeing something "gross". How does that honestly effect what you are doing at that moment. Of course, like i said, offensive odors, etc., are different. But people get offended at "off-color" jokes. why? don't laugh, who cares. But you have no right to get offended over something. I have more of a right to say whatever the hell i want, then you do to get offended, and cause me trouble for speaking my mind.

I'm all for equality for the sexes, and everyone--since as i've said before, there's no actual qualitative difference between any of us--but how does a women get offended at a "girly" picture? Of course you're not "supposed" to like it--unless you're a lesbian--because it was intended for males in the first place! Put up a calender of giant boners, why the hell should I care? How could that possibly offend me? That's the sort of stupidity I'm talking about!
__________________
whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino

Last edited by pt447 : 09-20-2007 at 11:36 PM.
pt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
This is SPARTA!
 
Kameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,493
Blog Entries: 4
Kameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level nowKameleon is on another level now
I don't think I get offended, I'm a very passive person. People can talk shit all they want, doesn't effect me. I'm a cynical person, so of course I offend others with my comments that I consider funny.
__________________

Kameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
pt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameleon
I don't think I get offended, I'm a very passive person. People can talk shit all they want, doesn't effect me. I'm a cynical person, so of course I offend others with my comments that I consider funny.
same as me! maybe there's a link, between not being able to be offended, and having the ability to offend others by simply pointing out the stupidity of their offense!

lol...
__________________
whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino
pt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Ignorance offends me, when people make stupid comments about things they know nothing about.

But yeah, no word really offends me at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
-I came|I saw|I failed-
 
plazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The plazzVan
Posts: 9,734
Blog Entries: 3
plazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza
Ignorance offends me, when people make stupid comments about things they know nothing about.

But yeah, no word really offends me at all.
Same here, cant think of a word that offends me.
plazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
pt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza
Ignorance offends me, when people make stupid comments about things they know nothing about.

But yeah, no word really offends me at all.
does it offend you, or just really dissapoint you? Shouldn't it dissapoint you, rather than anger you? Isn't their ignorance a result of a lax society, one with shitty education and a lineage of promoting ignorance?

I think that perhaps we automatically jump to the conclusion that something is offensive, simply because we find int repugnant. But there are other places to go, and other explanations rather than "offense".

The idea of offense is that something personally takes away from our sensibilities. Someone else's ignorance should dissapoint you.

I'm not arguing with you, or telling you you're wrong, just trying to dissect each aspect of this topic. a lot of people think i'm arrogant, but it just that i never leave any aspect of anything untouched!
__________________
whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino
pt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,647
Blog Entries: 3
WouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He Crosses
The only thing that offends me is people who get offended.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
name goes here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London England
Posts: 3,300
name goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crosses
The length of the original post offends me.

I'm more likely to be offended if people are trying to be clever and outsmart me. If someone is just straight out 'You're a ****!', it doesn't piss me off as much as someone for example trying to give me exercise advice; hence implying they're fitter than me or something, or that I'm fat etc.
name goes here is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios