MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.mmaforum.com/lounge/)
-   -   Smokers of "Light" Cigarettes to sue! (http://www.mmaforum.com/lounge/2996-smokers-light-cigarettes-sue.html)

pt447 09-26-2006 08:54 AM

Smokers of "Light" Cigarettes to sue!
 
so, in the paper this morning, i read that a judge ruled that people who smoke Light Cigarettes are now eligable to sue tobbacco companies for "false" advertising or whatever. first off, the box doesn't say anything about them being safer.. there's s till a damn cancer warning. it has something to do with "false marketing" during the 70's when lights where introduced.

my rant is, that how can this be allowed? how can people sue tobbacco companies for something they did, especially once warnings were in place? i mean, if people can sue tobacco companies for something they chose to do to themselves... why can't the families of drunk driving victims sue alcohol companies?

and don't tell me it's not the same... it's not only the same, but worse!!! all those teens who die because they either didn't know better (same argument as cigarettes), or whatever. the point is... if you choose to do something, you f'ing deal with the consequences. you can't go back and blame the provider for something you've been doing for 30 damn years!!!!

Combat_HapKiDo 09-26-2006 10:57 AM

Although I certainly have no love for tobacco companies as their products kill thousands of people and are more addictive than many illegal drugs, I have to agree with you. This is what I see as another example of people refusing to accept responsibility for their actions. It's always easier to blame someone else for your problems than to face up to them and do something about it.

I think we've all known for many years that any type of cigarette will eventually kill you if you continue to smoke them.

pt447 09-26-2006 11:09 AM

hell, i smoke, i accept the risks. i'm not gunna try to sue big tobacco in 50 years if i get emphazema!!!! its insane!

Keithpas 09-26-2006 03:16 PM

I happen to be a non smoker but I can recall the Surgeon General Warning when it was first put on packs of cigarettes. I have known from the time I was a kid that smoking is not necessarily the most healthy habit. Adults should be able to make that choice for themselves, but if they do make that choice they should not be able to sue later on when the warning turns into reality. If the government thinks that smoking is so bad they should mke it illegal and we all know that is not going to happen.

pt447 09-26-2006 03:51 PM

exactley!

StillLuv2FightU 09-26-2006 05:07 PM

Yea I agree that's pretty stupid. I need to quit smoking here soon anyway. Cigarettes that is. I heard Light cigarettes are actually worse for you than regular cigarettes because they put tiny holes in the filters so when you take a hit, a lot of it comes out the holes, so if you go from regular cigarettes to lights, you have a tendency to hit the light cigarette harder to get that throat sensation your used to and end up sucking in a little bit more chemicals. I smoke Winston, they're additive free, just tobacco and nicotine no chemicals. But if I get emphyzema in 20 years I'm not going to sue because even though they are a LITTLE safer than other cigs, they're still not safe. And Winston even admits it. But they do taste a lot better and I don't have to think about sucking in rat poison or arsenic and shit when I smoke. All natural just like my wife Mary Jane. :thumbsup:

pt447 09-26-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillLuv2FightU
Yea I agree that's pretty stupid. I need to quit smoking here soon anyway. Cigarettes that is. I heard Light cigarettes are actually worse for you than regular cigarettes because they put tiny holes in the filters so when you take a hit, a lot of it comes out the holes, so if you go from regular cigarettes to lights, you have a tendency to hit the light cigarette harder to get that throat sensation your used to and end up sucking in a little bit more chemicals. I smoke Winston, they're additive free, just tobacco and nicotine no chemicals. But if I get emphyzema in 20 years I'm not going to sue because even though they are a LITTLE safer than other cigs, they're still not safe. And Winston even admits it. But they do taste a lot better and I don't have to think about sucking in rat poison or arsenic and shit when I smoke. All natural just like my wife Mary Jane. :thumbsup:

i smoke american spirits... 100% tobacco and nothing else!

oh, cigs are definetly more deadly, addictive and evil than weed. my god, cigs are designed to be addictive, weed... just naturally smile-o-rific!

StillLuv2FightU 09-26-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt447
i smoke american spirits... 100% tobacco and nothing else!

oh, cigs are definetly more deadly, addictive and evil than weed. my god, cigs are designed to be addictive, weed... just naturally smile-o-rific!

American Spirits??? Never heard of them...what part of the country do you live in? Are those like Kentucky's Best or a cheapo brand? J/w...I thought Winston was the only additive free cig out there...maybe if those are cheaper I should switch..

MMA freak 09-26-2006 09:23 PM

All I say is why smoke in the first place then 30 years after smoking sue the company? Just found out it was bad? Ridicolous.

pt447 09-26-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillLuv2FightU
American Spirits??? Never heard of them...what part of the country do you live in? Are those like Kentucky's Best or a cheapo brand? J/w...I thought Winston was the only additive free cig out there...maybe if those are cheaper I should switch..

american spirits are everywher... in fact, they come from new mexico. big in the hippie culture... proceeds go to native american funds... 100% natural and no additives! a whole slew of types, plus a special pressure-aged variety!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2