What do you do? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
LHW Champ
 
Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 781
   
I can imagine that
Evil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Boo
Amatuer
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 115
 
Environmental Chemist. I'm the manager of a laboratory.
Boo is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 57
 
I am a production manager for a major manufacturing company the largest in the world for our industry. i basically make sure people are working and monitor quality,safety etc.

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
Mastiff_Owner is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Boo
Amatuer
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 115
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff_Owner
I am a production manager for a major manufacturing company the largest in the world for our industry. i basically make sure people are working and monitor quality,safety etc.
Do you have to write up people's annual performance reviews? By far, hands down, the part of managing I hate the most. Don't get me wrong, they can be very effective if done right, but I spend tons of time on them and it's mentally exhausting.
Boo is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:07 AM
i've earned my stripes
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,989
                     
Well...

I am a full-time student at The University of Southern California (USC). I bartend at a couple local sports bars every weeknight. Lastly, during the day (when I'm not in class) or sometime on weekends whenever I get a call from my agency, I model new clothing designs for different clothing companies (ex: Nautica, Quiksilver, Billabong, Von Zipper, Matix, O' Neill, Volcom Stone & Hurley). Mainly stuff you would see in a skateboarder-type shop. It's an awesome job. It's easy, fun, relaxing, pays WELL, and I get to keep all the clothes I model in. Yezzzzir.



That's why I'm not as active as some of you. Always f'n busy. Oh well, what can ya do?

i'm a monster
i'm a maven
i know this world is changin'
never gave in
never gave up
i'm the only thing i'm afraid of
T.B. is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Boo
Amatuer
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 115
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREY B.
Well...

I am a full-time student at The University of Southern California (USC). I bartend at a couple local sports bars every weeknight. Lastly, during the day (when I'm not in class) or sometime on weekends whenever I get a call from my agency, I model new clothing designs for different clothing companies (ex: Nautica, Quiksilver, Billabong, Von Zipper, Matix, O' Neill, Volcom Stone & Hurley). Mainly stuff you would see in a skateboarder-type shop. It's an awesome job. It's easy, fun, relaxing, pays WELL, and I get to keep all the clothes I model in. Yezzzzir.



That's why I'm not as active as some of you. Always f'n busy. Oh well, what can ya do?
I hear ya Trey. I remember the college years well. Now grad school, that's when you truly will have NO LIFE. Makes the working world look easy, AND they pay you.
Boo is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:36 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
Do you have to write up people's annual performance reviews? By far, hands down, the part of managing I hate the most. Don't get me wrong, they can be very effective if done right, but I spend tons of time on them and it's mentally exhausting.
Yeah i do annual reviews for about 30 employees. If you only do it once a year it is just like you said mentally exhausting and extremely time consuming.

Here's a thought something I do that has helped. Over the course of the quarter, every quarter i bring my teams in and do a quick informal review, no longer than 10-15 minutes. just sort of a progress report. At the end of the year when I do their annual i pull all of the previous and use those as the core of their annual performance review. A tracking mechanism for progress or lack there of.It really helps becasue their are no surprises for anyone. It also eliminates any objections they may have to a poor review or obstacles that may have impeded their progress. It is basically like why didn't you tell me earlier we have sat down 4 times over the course of the year.

the worst part for me is actually the disciplinary action. I can't count how many times I have written people up or terminated people and it never gets any easier. Having to tell someone they lost their job and knowing this is the only income for their family and they won't be eligible for any kind of unemployment.

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
Mastiff_Owner is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 186
 
Hey guys,
I work as a Computing Security Consultant

Still not as cool as Onganju's job

Last edited by Storm442; 10-18-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Storm442 is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Boo
Amatuer
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 115
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff_Owner
Here's a thought something I do that has helped. Over the course of the quarter, every quarter i bring my teams in and do a quick informal review, no longer than 10-15 minutes. just sort of a progress report. At the end of the year when I do their annual i pull all of the previous and use those as the core of their annual performance review. A tracking mechanism for progress or lack there of.It really helps becasue their are no surprises for anyone. It also eliminates any objections they may have to a poor review or obstacles that may have impeded their progress. It is basically like why didn't you tell me earlier we have sat down 4 times over the course of the year.
Actually, I tried doing what you described above. It did help, I just have to be more discipled about getting it done every quarter. Last year, I ended up only doing their main review and a progress review about 6 months later.

I have kept up on another helpful hint. Whenever someone does something noteworthy, good or bad, I write a quick comment and the date on a note pad and drop it in their file. Makes it a lot easier when I'm looking for examples of behavior.

I've been lucky when it comes to firing or discipling to the point where they have quit. The ones I've dealt with have so richly deserved it that I didn't feel a bit bad. It was stressful, but no guilt. I hate feeling guilty. The other employees were overjoyed to see them go. Funny....I have one guy who still wishes me happy anniversary 6 years after the date an obnoxious employee quit. This person had been allowed to bully people for 7 years before I started, so we had quite the battle. What a nightmare.


Storm: I'm so jealous, I would love to work out of my home.
Boo is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 09:13 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 57
 
I have a legal pad I use for daily notes on employees. I think I am in a little bit different situation with my employees because most have only a HS diploma and many are drop outs or immigrants. So their options are pretty limited when I let them go. I have always built up such a case or they did something so aggregious that I have no problem firing them its just they don't think shit through before they do it. They don't have the capacity of forward thinking and the potential consequences of their actions.

I actually have an arbtration hearing next week for an ex employee that refused to work and so I fired him. he's been without work since april. I know he's got kids and shit. He jsut didn't think about what the hell was going to happen. I feel more bad for the kids than him. he got exactly what he deserved but the kids deserve more. you know?

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
Mastiff_Owner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome