Originally Posted by swpthleg
I worked for a wireless provider also, but we never told them to put a phone in the microwave to dry it out.
We just worked our amazing mojo and got them a new one.
We didn't do it because we were trying to help them. They reserved it for people who would come in and say there phone stopped working for no reason and were a real asses about it. Then when they saw that the watermark on the back of the battery indicated water damage, they would say "oh yea, I did drop it in the pool". So sometimes they would get the advice to put it in the microwave