Religion.... - Page 8 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 AM
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvaco View Post
They're brainwashed from an early age and taught to not question their beliefs. It's not based on any logical thought.
I almost made this exact post then decided not to. I mean mine related to feeling like I'm doing something bad while im having sex even now that im married. But yea, nail on the head, its a ****ed up thing.



If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
                     
I wonder how many people on here who are so brash with their comments have actually studied religious history beyond what they read on the internet. I would guess not too many.

I also wonder why some of you are so hostile towards Christianity? I have never seen a Christian poster starting a thread attacking non-believers? It's too funny to me in reality. I swear some people get so insecure and touchy when it comes to other people's beliefs. LOL
gsp_is_king is offline  
post #73 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
I wonder how many people on here who are so brash with their comments have actually studied religious history beyond what they read on the internet. I would guess not too many.
Well, first of all, what's wrong with the information on the internet? The internet is one of the most important inventions in history, what's wrong with using it? Second of all, I (along with MANY other atheists) went to Catholic school where I was forced to take classes on religion and study the Bible. I also had a Bar Mitzvah, and guess what I had to study before I had it? That's right, the Bible. I've believed for a very long time that there is no quicker route to atheism than exposure to religion.

The question isn't how many atheists have read the Bible; it's how many Christians have.

Quote:
I also wonder why some of you are so hostile towards Christianity?
What's hostile about stating the fact that there is no evidence to support God's existence?

Quote:
I have never seen a Christian poster starting a thread attacking non-believers? It's too funny to me in reality. I swear some people get so insecure and touchy when it comes to other people's beliefs. LOL
As soon as people start criticizing Christianity, you claim we're "attacking" Christians. Who's insecure?

If you don't want to discuss your beliefs that's fine, just don't post in a thread that's all about religious beliefs.
Suvaco is offline  
post #74 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvaco View Post
Well, first of all, what's wrong with the information on the internet? The internet is one of the most important inventions in history, what's wrong with using it? Second of all, I (along with MANY other atheists) went to Catholic school where I was forced to take classes on religion and study the Bible. I also had a Bar Mitzvah, and guess what I had to study before I had it? That's right, the Bible. I've believed for a very long time that there is no quicker route to atheism than exposure to religion.

The question isn't how many atheists have read the Bible; it's how many Christians have.


What's hostile about stating the fact that there is no evidence to support God's existence?


As soon as people start criticizing Christianity, you claim we're "attacking" Christians. Who's insecure?

If you don't want to discuss your beliefs that's fine, just don't post in a thread that's all about religious beliefs.
Yeah, I'm sure you can get just as informed by reading a few websites compared to years of study at an academic university.
gsp_is_king is offline  
post #75 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Banned
 
Fedor>all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 8,796
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukkadb View Post
This is the exact reason why religion is bad. They "scare" you into wanting to believe that it's true, otherwise you go to hell when you die? It's pretty bullshit.
My problem with this, is that you're taking your basis of knowledge which sounds like Christian doctrine, and generalizing all religion with it. Not all religions bully you into believing in God or you will suffer eternal damnation.

I don't know much about religion, but I do know that it can be a tool of empowerment and in the wrong hands, devastation.

I believe in spirituality, but I don't necessarily believe in an omnipotent being. Life is too strange of an experience to simply end with nothingness, in my belief. I'm not saying there's an afterlife, and I'm not pushing that idea on anyone, I just feel as though there's something beyond our understanding and reach in this world. The body is simply a shell to me.
Fedor>all is offline  
post #76 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Thug Life
 
Suvaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,345
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you can get just as informed by reading a few websites compared to years of study at an academic university.
Nobody said that. But you can get a lot done on the internet. You can read pretty much every text that is relevant to the subject. The Bible, Darwin, Dawkins, etc can all be read straight from the internet. There's more than enough information on the internet to help someone form an educated, intelligent opinion about religion.
Suvaco is offline  
post #77 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned
 
TheNegation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,809
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
I don't think holding onto the belief in something greater than yourself is pathetic at all. I don't get dragged into arguments on religion so I'll just leave this thread alone for the time being. People get way too emotional. People can believe whatever they want. Some just aren't comfortable with that, and want to force their beliefs or non-beliefs on others.
Holding onto a belief because it is "nice" is pathetic. It's the syupidest reason ever for believieng in an afterlife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
You're right, I shouldn't have said sad. That was judgmental on my part. I don't think one religion is more "realistic" than another. And believing is just as "realistic" as not believing from my point of view, and years of study.
Of course it is. I assume you are a christian? Lets compare beliefs.
I believe in Science, and don't lay any claim to understanding things it can't explain. You believe a zombie jew carpenter capable of performing miracles who was never conceived in the first place died to save you from your sins and then ascended to heaven. Which of our set of beliefs is more realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvaco View Post
No, believing is definitely not as "realistic" as not believing. Not even close (depending on what you mean by "believing". I'm assuming you mean believing in Yahweh). There is no evidence to support God's existence (again, talking about Yahweh here), so where's the reason to believe? What makes this belief "realistic"?


No, it is pretty pathetic. If the entire reason you believe in God is because "it's nice", then you really need to reevaluate your entire belief system.

Since when is discussing beliefs the same thing as forcing one's beliefs on to others?

EDIT: Just found this picture, and I think it's pretty relevant to the disucssion
Hit the nail on the head on all issues there.


GSP IS KING, do you have any idea how many first hand sources, journals and full books are present online?

And if you had studied religion, I doubt you'd be quite as crap at defending it as you appear to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you can get just as informed by reading a few websites compared to years of study at an academic university.
TheNegation is offline  
post #78 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Cupcake: Team Tate
 
LizaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 10,389
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
I wonder how many people on here who are so brash with their comments have actually studied religious history beyond what they read on the internet. I would guess not too many.

I also wonder why some of you are so hostile towards Christianity? I have never seen a Christian poster starting a thread attacking non-believers? It's too funny to me in reality. I swear some people get so insecure and touchy when it comes to other people's beliefs. LOL
I personally think christians can be awesome people...but a few bad apples have stretched my tolerance and patience in the last few days for personal reasons.

I guess in every religion you get the ones who want to do the right thing and are understanding of others, those that want to covert and those that are totally uneducated and totally flame in the wrong direction.

And the last two ruin it for everyone.
LizaG is offline  
post #79 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Free will?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4FNGsNY3nI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
post #80 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 AM
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
 
ZZtigerZZ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,066
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenorcanMadman View Post
Man, theirs some jaded people here. Seriously, is all you think of when you think of religion, crazy religious freaks and molesting priests? Most Christians are good honest hard working people. Sure theirs crazy ones in the bunch but you can say that about any group. I go under the opinion of, if I wasnt their when it happened, I dont know better than you and you dont know better than me. Religion can be completely false, so can science, your stupid to believe either is completely true.
I challenge that line about any group...how many Atheists have committed an act of terrorists in the name of Atheists?


Waiting



Waiting


Yeah that is about right...none.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_is_king View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you can get just as informed by reading a few websites compared to years of study at an academic university.
difference between internet and university in many cases is price and the slanted views of a professor. If I read a text online that you read in class...I form my own opinion whereas your teacher tells you yours. And just about any text can be purchased or downloaded online. I could get the same education from a well stocked library and internet connection that you paid for at your local university. So, to answer your sarcastic question...yeah, people can get just as informed from a local library.

All you need is a thread about religion to get Tiger posting again.

ZZtigerZZ81 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome