Religion: Real, Reasonable or Irrational. - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

View Poll Results: What are you?

Atheist 9 30.00%
Atheist-Agnostic 7 23.33%
Theist-Agnostic 2 6.67%
Theist 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,353
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
well, obviously.

there are some who believe that the bible is literal truth, the world is 3000 years old and was created in a miniscule amount of time, there was a flood where some dude stuck all the animals on a boat, a magic guy created the whole universe and all life to serve man, mary was a virgin impregnated by god, etc. funny how when you say it like that it sounds as silly as the myths of greece, rome, india, babylon, etc


and there are some who lack the empathy with their fellow human to try not to be horrible to them in their daily life without the thread of an eternity of damnation.

I feel kind of bad for both these groups.

now that I think about it, I know plenty of self proclaimed religious believers who use their religious texts to support their ******* awful behavior.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
I don't think this forum really knows what the terms atheist, agnostic, theist, and gnostic mean.
You're probably right, I didn't include all possibilities because of that.

Atheist - as I have it labeled is meant to be a person that thinks absolutely there are not gods or goddesses.

Atheist-Agnostic - As a person who does not know for sure if there is a god, but does not believe in any gods and thinks they probably do not exist.

Theist-Agnostic- As a person who does believe in gods or goddesses, but do not know for sure if they exist.

Theist- believe in gods etcs

basic lame breakdown, please correct me or add to these definitions as I remember you being well-read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carson View Post
Atheist agnostic.

I don't believe in God, I actually find the concept itself quite silly, but I can understand where people come from that believe in such a thing. At the same time, I cannot say for fact that there is absolutely, 100% no God, the same way I cannot say that somewhere in this world, somewhere that man has never stepped upon, that there's a 14 ass monkey with razor teeth, 4 pairs of testicles, and two necks that connect to one head.

So, mainly atheist, but at the same time, I don't go out of my way to disprove God or any such things, and I cannot say there isn't a God, 100% for sure, no one can.
I relate entirely, this is pretty much how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
after exhaustive research and attempts to adopt a number of different beliefs, in the end, religion all smells the same to me. cow feces.

secular humanism covers all the bases I care about without the starry eyed wishful thinking.

still, if some kind of god were to demonstrate ANYTHING close to godlike abilities, I'm open to the idea. but so far, nothing. I hold out more hope for a sound proof for the existence of leprechauns.
Same, I've read many religious texts, gone to many churches and talked to many religious people.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
M_D
Homicidal Maniac
 
M_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,171
Blog Entries: 1
M_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is UntouchableM_D Is Untouchable
lol you got your years wrong on the first part but i get what you were saying, but yeah if we are dealing with the bibles religion heck each day that was talking about when he was creating the earth was 2000 years each and then you have people living well over 800 years old later on in the bible and their children living really long ect so on and so forth. there is allot more years in that the bible covers or pretends to cover depending on said persons views.

to the first people i dont feel bad for for it is their right to intemperate how they see fit as it is mine and yours if their interpretation is a literal one and they live a happy life because of it then i see no wrong in this but when they force their said interpretations on others that is where I find fault.

to the second category you described yes i do feel a little bad for said people but i am happy there is something out there that keeps said people from doing something horrible

religion can cause great and miraculous things because someone interpreted it one way and the same religion can do horrendous and extremely unjust despicable things because another person interpreted it another way
__________________


Over! 2,000,000 Views!

P4P Best Fighter
Angely Lane
M_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,353
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D View Post
lol you got your years wrong on the first part but i get what you were saying, but yeah if we are dealing with the bibles religion heck each day that was talking about when he was creating the earth was 2000 years each and
That's your interpretation. When was the last time you were in a church? There are plenty of literalists, I'm guessing you don't really go to church though, and mostly spend time with friends who aren't taking the bible literally. But there is no actual basis, that's revionism. Not that it's new of course. The books of the bible were written by men, edited by men translated by men, and the various Canon were selected by men. It's completely arbitrary so naturally, you have people cherry picking.

Quote:
then you have people living well over 800 years old later on in the bible and their children living really long also. there is allot more years in that the bible covers or pretends to cover depending on said persons views.
Same. It's cool that you have been exposed to more moderate christian beliefs but I think you're out of touch with fundamentalists. Seriously, go spend this sunday morning at a fundamentalist church. Ask questions. Get back to us. And these are not even hard to find, remotely, they are common. I'm not even talking about other crazies like 7th Day Adventists or Mormons or Catholics who have some really nutty shit going on.

Quote:
to the first people i dont feel bad for for it is their right to intemperate how they see fit as it is mine and yours if their interpretation is a literal one and they live a happy life because of it then i see no wrong in this but when they force their said interpretations on others that is where I find fault.

to the second category you described yes i do feel a little bad for said people but i am happy there is something out there that keeps said people from doing something horrible

religion can cause great and miraculous things because someone interpreted it one way and the same religion can do horrendous and extremely unjust despicable things because another person interpreted it another way
The problem is that a book like the bible also justifies a bunch of horrible things. That's the downside of a morality that has nothing to do with fellow human happiness, but appeasing a jealous imaginary sky wizard who may well damn you to hell if you don't follow his commandments, the first few of which are mostly about making the wizard feel good about himself. I hope I don't have to start quoting the ridiculous stuff that you can justify via the bible, it's full of horrible things.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Couchwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the couch
Posts: 2,679
Couchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For GreatnessCouchwarrior Is Destined For Greatness
Teapot agnostic here, I can't disprove the existence of Yahweh, Zeus or Santa Claus etc, but I find their existence highly improbable, considering there's no proof or even indication that they exist, and their existence would defy all physical laws of the world as we know it. I clicked "atheist" because it was the closest.

I also think it's shocking that debating or disproving superstitious beliefs is considered politically incorrect, since so many important political decisions are made based on them.
Couchwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
Hiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,001
Hiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of KnowledgeHiro Is True Champion Of Knowledge
I consider myself agnostic, in that I have no idea if there is some almighty power but I'm as sure as I can possibly be that religions were dreamt up by man.

Religion's role in society throughout the ages is something I'd like to explore when I have the time. To me debating whether or not a certain God exists is quite pointless, there is zero proof of any one God being real and quite frankly I find debating the legitimacy of religion based on the existence of a God insulting to my intelligence, since logic is only ever apparent on the atheist end of the spectrum.

I think debating whether or not religion's role in society today justifies the negative effects that some people have to endure would be much more interesting and worth while.
Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Why is there no 'I am GOD' option? I will obviously be unable to vote in the poll until that option is made available.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 249
joey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nicejoey.jupiter is just really nice
Well I'm Theist and I strongly believe in God, however I'm a bit sceptical on religious practice. I have a lot of questions and doubt about what is written in the Bible. It's a spiritual thing, I guess I just "found God" and found a concept of God I could and did believe in. You can't prove the logic of God and you're ignorant to believe in God because of "logic", as there is none. Although belief in an infinite Universe is a leap of faith.

Back onto track, is religion harmful? In the wrong hands yes, but by no means is it unreasonable. It's irrational if you use it as a justification for evil acts like killing but a lot of good has also come from religion. We don't need it as much nowadays and you tend to find those who are influenced by religion are well....
joey.jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
UFC on VHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,533
UFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level nowUFC on VHS is on another level now
Personally I am not into religion. I think that the Bible and other religions are more of a man made answer to questions we just don't know the answers too..

BUT

People all over the world find happiness and peace in all kinds of religions. The Bible can change people lifes. Just because these are man made does not mean that they don't have important values and life leasons that are worth while to be learned. So at the end of the day I choose to not believe but if people find eternal peace and comfort in religion I am happy for them.
__________________
"Silva you got one commin. little ass ninja you better keep your ass down at 185 buddy, cheatin MOTHERFU.....I better watch my language my moms watchin"

- Mark "The Hammer" Coleman
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
It Lurks...
 
evilappendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NOLA
Posts: 521
evilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledgeevilappendix Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Organized religion is and always will be a tool used by those who want to control the masses but have no true claim to power. "Obey us because god told us you should" is their creed and it has worked surprisingly well throughout human history. No one person can honestly say they are an intermediate between god and man and none should. Your religion is a personal quest and should be treated as such.
That being said, I went with theist/agnostic because while I believe in a higher power(mostly due to my upbringing) I understand that I will never be able to prove it. It's all speculation until you take a dirt nap and by then you can't tell anyone. If I happen to figure out how to make it back and let everyone in on the big secret I'll post it here first
evilappendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios