Nintendogs blamed for dog attack - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
M.C
Filthy Casuals
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 11,050
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
Nintendogs blamed for dog attack

Quote:
British tabloid the Daily Mail has highlighted the dangers of Nintendo's pet sim Nintendogs, following an animal attack on a 9-year-old girl.

Megan Walker was mauled by Saracen, a bull mastiff, while playing the game at a friend's house. The dog dragged Megan from the sofa and sank its teeth into the girl's face, removing her lip.

The Daily Mail attributes the attack to the sounds of barking emanating from Megan's DS "game station" during a bout of Nintendogs.

The girl's grandmother, Jean Taylor, told the paper, "I think this game should carry some kind of warning. People should be told not to play it when there are dogs in the room. I blame the game for what happened to Megan. If they hadn't been playing it I don't think the dog would have gone for her."

The Daily Mail concludes that the friend's mother was unavailable for comment, but "it is understood that she told police that Megan may have kicked Saracen and that is why he attacked her".

Doctors managed to re-attach Megan's lip following the attack and the dog was later destroyed.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/112/1124183p1.html

Am I the only one getting seriously irritated by parents/grandparents/media blaming entertainment (video games, TV, movies, music, etc) for bad things that happen?

How about not leaving a child alone in a room with a dog that's known for being aggressive? How about teaching your child that it's bad to kick dogs cause they might attack you if you do so?

Instead of taking responsibility, they just blame the video game. How many people in this world play that game around dogs? Probably thousands, and when 1 dog (who got kicked by the girl) attacks her for it, it's automatically the game's fault. W T F ?

Should we put warning labels on all movies, tv shows, video games, music, etc, that have the sounds of a dog barking? I guess we need to take hot iron to every dog and roast a label on it that says "I might attack you if you kick me".

I feel bad for the girl, but feel worse for the dog. It was put to sleep because it was attacked and then attacked back, which even humans do (if someone kicks me, it's go time).
__________________


"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"
"You do not know the first note of the music that moves me."
M.C is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,015
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Wow this is flat out retarded. If someone kicked me I would definitely defend myself. Why is it different for a dog? If you attack a dog, expect it to have a negative response. I swear people just don't think anymore... I want to go kick the grandmother and then see if she gets "destroyed" if she does anything in return and then I will say I was playing a game that had an old woman talking in it and that is why the granny attacked me.
__________________


"Don't be shocked that people die. Be surprised you're still alive."
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material


I personally take the entirely opposite stance. Any animal that attacks a human (aside from police dogs etc) should be destroyed. Coming from team humans, I don't consider any animal or any number of animals on par with a human being. In fact even when the human is in the wrong and is abusing an animal I feel if the animal attacks or acts aggressively it should be destroyed. That is not to say that I condone animal abuse etc, I believe people should be fined for such things and potential jail time for future offenses.

In my mind:

1 little girls lip > 1,000,000 dogs
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,460
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
IMO this woman's claim is really about money- if she gains any traction she will probably try to turn this into a lawsuit against Nintendo.

However, she won't have any success, because her claims make no sense. TV shows don't put disclaimers like this, and they have barking dogs all the time.
__________________
Objection, Your Honor. He's reciting the opening to Quantum Leap.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
M.C
Filthy Casuals
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 11,050
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post


I personally take the entirely opposite stance. Any animal that attacks a human (aside from police dogs etc) should be destroyed. Coming from team humans, I don't consider any animal or any number of animals on par with a human being. In fact even when the human is in the wrong and is abusing an animal I feel if the animal attacks or acts aggressively it should be destroyed. That is not to say that I condone animal abuse etc, I believe people should be fined for such things and potential jail time for future offenses.

In my mind:

1 little girls lip > 1,000,000 dogs
Humans are animals. We have a different name, the same way tigers, lions, cats, dogs, birds all have different names, but we are all animals. We have everything from fur, to claws, to teeth, to having "fight or flight" instincts, to having a natual urge to breed, feed, everything. You saying that humans are more important than animals is false, as we ARE animals. People don't like to look at it that way, but we are 100% fact, animals, nothing more nothing less, nothing special other than our brain being more developed.

Killing 1 animal for defending itself after another animal provoked it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
IMO this woman's claim is really about money- if she gains any traction she will probably try to turn this into a lawsuit against Nintendo.

However, she won't have any success, because her claims make no sense. TV shows don't put disclaimers like this, and they have barking dogs all the time.
It might have a lot to do with money, I agree. They might try to turn this into a lawsuit, but as you say, they will fail if they try.
__________________


"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"
"You do not know the first note of the music that moves me."
M.C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Humans are animals. We have a different name, the same way tigers, lions, cats, dogs, birds all have different names, but we are all animals. We have everything from fur, to claws, to teeth, to having "fight or flight" instincts, to having a natual urge to breed, feed, everything. You saying that humans are more important than animals is false, as we ARE animals. People don't like to look at it that way, but we are 100% fact, animals, nothing more nothing less, nothing special other than our brain being more developed.

Killing 1 animal for defending itself after another animal provoked it is wrong.


So you are saying humans and animals have the same worth in your mind? Serial killers think this way.

(By "animals" assume I mean all other creatures except humans.)
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,015
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
MC is right. The problem is that society has conditioned people to believe that humans are entirely different than animals. I think that killing a dog for following it's natural instinct is sick. But this is viewed as "ok" because of the elitist mindset of most humans.
__________________


"Don't be shocked that people die. Be surprised you're still alive."
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
MC is right. The problem is that society has conditioned people to believe that humans are entirely different than animals. I think that killing a dog for following it's natural instinct is sick. But this is viewed as "ok" because of the elitist mindset of most humans.
That is how I feel about humans vs animals. I'm not religious, don't believe in a soul. To me I think its a slew of things we have that separate us from the animals. Self-awareness, language, knowing fate etc. I know innately killing humans is wrong, I know that it is wrong naturally because I am afraid of being killed. I have never felt the same about animals, I've killed many animals, almost all of them for fun/sport and I've never once felt bad. Even when I was a kid.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
M.C
Filthy Casuals
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 11,050
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
So you are saying humans and animals have the same worth in your mind? Serial killers think this way.

(By "animals" assume I mean all other creatures except humans.)
Killing a dog for defending itself is just as bad as killing a human for defending itself.

All animals have the same worth in a situation like this. A dog (animal) defend itself after being attacked by another animal (human), and it got killed because it defended itself. It's the human's fault this happened, not the dog's. The human is the one who should be punished for ATTACKING the dog, not the other way around. As it is, the human was punished, she got her lip bitten off.

However, we as a human (animal) society somehow find it in our own weird, twisted, messed up way that we are better and more important than other animals because our brain can transfer information in a more intelligent way.

Fact is, the dog was defending itself the same way you would defend yourself if someone came up to you and attacked you. If you beat someone up for kicking you, does that mean we can now go ahead and kill you for defending yourself? After all, you're an animal by fact and definition.
__________________


"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"
"You do not know the first note of the music that moves me."
M.C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Killing a dog for defending itself is just as bad as killing a human for defending itself.

All animals have the same worth in a situation like this. A dog (animal) defend itself after being attacked by another animal (human), and it got killed because it defended itself. It's the human's fault this happened, not the dog's. The human is the one who should be punished for ATTACKING the dog, not the other way around. As it is, the human was punished, she got her lip bitten off.

However, we as a human (animal) society somehow find it in our own weird, twisted, messed up way that we are better and more important than other animals because our brain can transfer information in a more intelligent way.

Fact is, the dog was defending itself the same way you would defend yourself if someone came up to you and attacked you. If you beat someone up for kicking you, does that mean we can now go ahead and kill you for defending yourself? After all, you're an animal by fact and definition.
No, because dogs are pets and humans are people. I will never entertain thoughts about animals being even remotely worth what a human is.

If a little girl kicked me and it was a complete accident and I bite her lip off, I should either be locked up or destroyed.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios