Earthquake funds used to subsidise Japan's whaling - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
The Lounge General off topic chat.

Reply

Old 12-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,628
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
I don't know, in my opinion it's just the way of nature. People may not see it like that but we are actually part of nature. So are brick walls, skyscrapers and everything else we build. As for killing intelligent life... well... pigs are among the most intelligent animals out there and we don't care. If it's in their culture to hunt whales then let them hunt whales, dolphins, polar bears, whatever. Who are we to tell them they're wrong? Foxhunting is no different and was even called a sport until it was banned a few years ago. Bullfighting is still legal in some parts of Spain, Portugal and France. Is hunting whales really that much worse than intensive livestock farming just because there are not as many whales as there are chickens and pigs?

Should they have used the earthquake money? Hell, no.
Hammerlock2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,248
K R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is Untouchable
The difference is most animals don't have an outside perception of nature, or when hunting. We do. We KNOW that Whales are intelligent. We KNOW they are endangered. Why should we have the right to wipe out a species just because we can?

It's FAR worse than killing livestock. Livestock are (for the most part) killed humanely and killing them does not effect their species number as they are bred to be killed. And a pigs intelligence compared to a Whales is absolutely laughable.

Whales can problem solve, have been proven to be able to show emotion like love, grief and joy. They live in complex social groups and have advanced acoustic processing, communication and social intelligence. They are also one of a few species that are self-aware.

Pigs role in their own filth.

The way the Whales are killed, is inhumane, brutal, and beyond painful for them. A few whalers even use grenade tipped spears that detonate after they have penetrated the Whales flesh. It takes minutes for them to die, after being hauled out of the water.
__________________





“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
K R Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
box
Come and Take em
 
box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,483
box Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crossesbox Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
So, you would like to kill some people in order to save some whales? Seems a bit off.
Sink them not kill them. They'd have time to jump in the life boats, lol.

As for certain hunting being the same, the difference is domestic animals vs wild. You can't hunt them that much and expect them to repopulate alone. We always screw things up. For example we hunted the wolves to extinction in the US, and so they imported a new species of wolves, and now hunters are complaining the wolves are to aggressive compared to the old wolves and are taking the deer that they want to go hunt.

If we're gonna be implementing population control on animals, the same should be done for the human species. No women should be allowed to pump out 5 kids, 2 should be max, then there isn't such a need for so much livestock. Anyway this drifted pretty far from the op.
__________________
_________________________________________________

_________________________________________________
box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Latvia
Posts: 2,893
Leed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by K R Y View Post
The difference is most animals don't have an outside perception of nature, or when hunting. We do. We KNOW that Whales are intelligent. We KNOW they are endangered. Why should we have the right to wipe out a species just because we can?

It's FAR worse than killing livestock. Livestock are (for the most part) killed humanely and killing them does not effect their species number as they are bred to be killed. And a pigs intelligence compared to a Whales is absolutely laughable.

Whales can problem solve, have been proven to be able to show emotion like love, grief and joy. They live in complex social groups and have advanced acoustic processing, communication and social intelligence. They are also one of a few species that are self-aware.

Pigs role in their own filth.

The way the Whales are killed, is inhumane, brutal, and beyond painful for them. A few whalers even use grenade tipped spears that detonate after they have penetrated the Whales flesh. It takes minutes for them to die, after being hauled out of the water.
You do know that what you said is pretty contradictory? I see your point, but your argument for killing livestock is pretty silly (not that I'm against it). Judging by what you said it's ok to kill people too, because they by no means are endangered from extinction. Pigs role in their own filth? Humans pollute the Earth.
I agree with your last paragraph though.
Leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 9,112
Budhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF Material
Every time I hear talk of Japanese whaling, it brings back memories of "The Cove" - that documentary was just straight up scary and pissed me off to no limit! There are very few whales left, since we've hunted them all - and not just that, we've overfished their source of food.

Plus I love freaking whales and dolphins and so on - Though I don't condone the methods of eco-terrorists like seen on "Whale Wars," that's just plain idiotic
__________________



MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,248
K R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is Untouchable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
You do know that what you said is pretty contradictory? I see your point, but your argument for killing livestock is pretty silly (not that I'm against it). Judging by what you said it's ok to kill people too, because they by no means are endangered from extinction. Pigs role in their own filth? Humans pollute the Earth.
I agree with your last paragraph though.
The main argument for killing live stock, is it feeds billions of humans, doesn't damage their numbers, and they are not intelligent animals. They are nutritional and healthy for us to eat also and are an ingrained part of the human diet. Whale meat is not. The massive amounts of mercury that reside in Whales actually kills humans if enough is ingested.

It isn't a contradiction at all, it would be if I valued a human life on the same level as a chickens life.

The pig comment wasn't meant to be taken as an actual reason to kill them. It was a silly comment that's only purpose was to underline that Pigs are not intelligent on the same level as Dolphins, Whales, or Chimps. Not that rolling in your own filth is actually a sign of lack of intelligence. But it certainly isn't a sign of one either.

The fact that humans are destroying this planet, where other sentient intelligent beings like Whales are not, means to me they deserve our help to survive rather than just another species that humanity has raped.
__________________





“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
K R Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Latvia
Posts: 2,893
Leed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by K R Y View Post
The main argument for killing live stock, is it feeds billions of humans, doesn't damage their numbers, and they are not intelligent animals. They are nutritional and healthy for us to eat also and are an ingrained part of the human diet. Whale meat is not. The massive amounts of mercury that reside in Whales actually kills humans if enough is ingested.

It isn't a contradiction at all, it would be if I valued a human life on the same level as a chickens life.

The pig comment wasn't meant to be taken as an actual reason to kill them. It was a silly comment that's only purpose was to underline that Pigs are not intelligent on the same level as Dolphins, Whales, or Chimps. Not that rolling in your own filth is actually a sign of lack of intelligence. But it certainly isn't a sign of one either.

The fact that humans are destroying this planet, where other sentient intelligent beings like Whales are not, means to me they deserve our help to survive rather than just another species that humanity has raped.
I know you don't value the life of a chicken on the same level as a life of a human, but I thought it was a bit contradictory how you talked about livestock compared to whales. We use livestock daily in our diets etc. but don't Japanese people also use the whales they killed?
Leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,248
K R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is UntouchableK R Y Is Untouchable
That's where all my other reasons come into play.

Intelligence. Nutrition. Health complications when eating Whale meat. The manner in which Whales are slaughtered.

To hunt Whales is actually illegal. They are hiding behind a 'we hunt for scientific research' lie. There hasn't been a shred of evidence, or study, to come from that claim. Commercial Whaling was banned in 1986. What the Japanese are doing, is commercial whaling.
__________________





“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
K R Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,921
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
This is disgusting to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
Sounds like "I am Legend". His family was dead, humanity was basically wiped off of the planet, but he didnt snap until his dog was killed. Now those monsters have gone to far!!!!!!
I thought he snapped because they had literally taken the last thing he had left in the world. But I get what you are saying.
__________________


"Don't be shocked that people die. Be surprised you're still alive."
HitOrGetHit is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios