Venting my frustration about Wanderlei - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!

Reply

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Blitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Venting my frustration about Wanderlei

This is a great place to have somewhere that I can actually state my feelings without being accused of fighter bashing and that being against the rules, ect.


Anyway I think that Wanderlei Silva is one of the most overrated and overhyped fighters in mma. Let me lay out my argument on this one.

1. Wandy makes for exciting fights, no doubt about that he comes out and brings the pressure, the fans are rarely bored with a Silva fight, that is one thing I cannot and will not take away from him.

2. He is not an accurate striker by any means. He comes out aggresive and throws hard shots continually throughout the fight, if he gets tagged he throws 8-9 wild shots right back. He is a brawler and often KO's the opponent much like Franca KO'ed Fisher with a lucky haymaker.

3. Silva is lacking on the ground, if he puts the opponent down he will look to kick and stomp rather than go down and try to finish it, on his back he works hard to get back to the feet but most of it is flopping around, he seems to be lacking a lof in the jiu-jitsu field.



I'm sure some or all of you disagree with me but I just don't think that Wandy is the fighter that he's hyped up to be. In all honesty I believe that the KO Hendo got over him was a lucky shot as both were just throwing wild shots. However Mirko cleanly KO'ed him after picking him apart with pinpoint accurate strikes.


My argument summed up: Wandy is a very exciting fighter but is not the great fighter that he is marketed as, he is a brawler with a lot of power and many successful KO's coming off of his opponents just being barraged with punches.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oil
Bantamweight
 
Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 536
Oil has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
This is a great place to have somewhere that I can actually state my feelings without being accused of fighter bashing and that being against the rules, ect.


Anyway I think that Wanderlei Silva is one of the most overrated and overhyped fighters in mma. Let me lay out my argument on this one.

1. Wandy makes for exciting fights, no doubt about that he comes out and brings the pressure, the fans are rarely bored with a Silva fight, that is one thing I cannot and will not take away from him.

2. He is not an accurate striker by any means. He comes out aggresive and throws hard shots continually throughout the fight, if he gets tagged he throws 8-9 wild shots right back. He is a brawler and often KO's the opponent much like Franca KO'ed Fisher with a lucky haymaker.

3. Silva is lacking on the ground, if he puts the opponent down he will look to kick and stomp rather than go down and try to finish it, on his back he works hard to get back to the feet but most of it is flopping around, he seems to be lacking a lof in the jiu-jitsu field.



I'm sure some or all of you disagree with me but I just don't think that Wandy is the fighter that he's hyped up to be. In all honesty I believe that the KO Hendo got over him was a lucky shot as both were just throwing wild shots. However Mirko cleanly KO'ed him after picking him apart with pinpoint accurate strikes.


My argument summed up: Wandy is a very exciting fighter but is not the great fighter that he is marketed as, he is a brawler with a lot of power and many successful KO's coming off of his opponents just being barraged with punches.
If he's just lucky, then I'd like some of his luck cause with how many T(KO)'s he (if it is luck) makes it seem a lot more like skill.
__________________
"You can light a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day."
OR
"You can light a man on fire and he'll be warm for a lifetime."

My Top 6
BW = Miguel Torres
LW = Tyson Griffin
WW = GSP
MW = Gegard Mousasi
LHW = Lyota Machida
HW = Fedor
Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Blitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
ha ha ha ok let me clarify a bit.


I dont' mean that all of his wins are lucky by any means. He does know how to use his aggression to back an opponent up and set them up for the KO/TKO.


What i'm stating more or less is that Wandy is by no means an accurate striker or great wrestler/submissionist. He is just very good at pushing the pace and cornering up the opponent. At that point he uses fast hands combined with loads of power to throw wildly and look for the KO.


Granted he is a skilled fighter and he executes his gameplan of pressuring, pressuring, pressuring, until landing the KO very well I just do not think he is as good as he is hyped up to be.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
kds13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 5,148
Blog Entries: 11
kds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level nowkds13 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
This is a great place to have somewhere that I can actually state my feelings without being accused of fighter bashing and that being against the rules, ect.


Anyway I think that Wanderlei Silva is one of the most overrated and overhyped fighters in mma. Let me lay out my argument on this one.

1. Wandy makes for exciting fights, no doubt about that he comes out and brings the pressure, the fans are rarely bored with a Silva fight, that is one thing I cannot and will not take away from him.

2. He is not an accurate striker by any means. He comes out aggresive and throws hard shots continually throughout the fight, if he gets tagged he throws 8-9 wild shots right back. He is a brawler and often KO's the opponent much like Franca KO'ed Fisher with a lucky haymaker.

3. Silva is lacking on the ground, if he puts the opponent down he will look to kick and stomp rather than go down and try to finish it, on his back he works hard to get back to the feet but most of it is flopping around, he seems to be lacking a lof in the jiu-jitsu field.



I'm sure some or all of you disagree with me but I just don't think that Wandy is the fighter that he's hyped up to be. In all honesty I believe that the KO Hendo got over him was a lucky shot as both were just throwing wild shots. However Mirko cleanly KO'ed him after picking him apart with pinpoint accurate strikes.


My argument summed up: Wandy is a very exciting fighter but is not the great fighter that he is marketed as, he is a brawler with a lot of power and many successful KO's coming off of his opponents just being barraged with punches.
If you hadn't mentioned Wandy's name, you could have been talking about Chuck as well. Is he overrated?

I'll go through it for you...
1. Chuck makes for exciting fights, no one can argue that.
2. Chuck is not an accurate striker. He throws wild, looping punches that have plenty of power behind them and he can catch you with one "lucky" punch.
3. If a fight goes to the ground, he immediately looks to get back up. He doesn't like to stay on his back.


You see what I'm getting at? Chuck and Wandy have similar styles as the way you described it. Their real difference is that Chuck is a counterpuncher whereas Wandy is an aggressor.

Wandy is far from being overrated. He gets all the praise he deserves.
__________________
kds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Blitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds13
If you hadn't mentioned Wandy's name, you could have been talking about Chuck as well. Is he overrated?

I'll go through it for you...
1. Chuck makes for exciting fights, no one can argue that.
2. Chuck is not an accurate striker. He throws wild, looping punches that have plenty of power behind them and he can catch you with one "lucky" punch.
3. If a fight goes to the ground, he immediately looks to get back up. He doesn't like to stay on his back.


You see what I'm getting at? Chuck and Wandy have similar styles as the way you described it. Their real difference is that Chuck is a counterpuncher whereas Wandy is an aggressor.

Wandy is far from being overrated. He gets all the praise he deserves.


I do see exactly where you are coming from but i'm going to have to disagree to a point.


1. Chuck is a fantastic grapper, he is incredibly hard to takedown, much more difficult to takecown that Wandy is.

2. Chuck is far more accurate, he looks for his shots and chooses them when they are there, he blasted Renato Sobral and Ortiz every single time they made a mistake, granted Chuck lacks the aggressive style that Wanderlei has but if they were to fight I see Wandy getting countered and picked apart much like Mirko did to him.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
liveson777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,749
liveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
I do see exactly where you are coming from but i'm going to have to disagree to a point.


1. Chuck is a fantastic grapper, he is incredibly hard to takedown, much more difficult to takecown that Wandy is.

2. Chuck is far more accurate, he looks for his shots and chooses them when they are there, he blasted Renato Sobral and Ortiz every single time they made a mistake, granted Chuck lacks the aggressive style that Wanderlei has but if they were to fight I see Wandy getting countered and picked apart much like Mirko did to him.

Mirko is just on another level then both chuck and wandy.... Wandys power is better then chucks... look at the 2 u mentioned Renato And Tito i think wandy would beat both of them irf he got in the ring i think wandy would be too muchb for chuck the skill level hes has been fighting is top notch...chuck may be more accurate but wandy knows when to throw
__________________
My Top 10:
Fedor
Henderson
GSP
Lyoto Machida
Aleks E
Josh Barnett
Big Nog
BJ Penn
Anderson Silva
Cro Cop Musosi and bada hari
liveson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
kaiser1041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 935
kaiser1041 is on a distinguished roadkaiser1041 is on a distinguished roadkaiser1041 is on a distinguished roadkaiser1041 is on a distinguished roadkaiser1041 is on a distinguished road
my only point woul be u cant be that lucky for that long
kaiser1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Negative1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,238
Blog Entries: 3
Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1
The only thing wrong with Wandy is his mind. The dude doesn't seem to have fully healed the effects of Mirko's kick.
Negative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
liveson777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,749
liveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really niceliveson777 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative1
The only thing wrong with Wandy is his mind. The dude doesn't seem to have fully healed the effects of Mirko's kick.
man that was brutal

i bet his head is messed up though
__________________
My Top 10:
Fedor
Henderson
GSP
Lyoto Machida
Aleks E
Josh Barnett
Big Nog
BJ Penn
Anderson Silva
Cro Cop Musosi and bada hari
liveson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Negative1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,238
Blog Entries: 3
Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1 Negative1
I didnt mean for it to sound that I was taking a cheap shot at him I just really believe that the guy isn't the same after that.
Negative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios