in your opinion how would Steven Segal do in MMA? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!

Reply

Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
Team Penn
 
MetalMunkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,454
MetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
in your opinion how would Steven Seagal do in MMA?
Next HW Champ of the world.
__________________
"You must first believe if you are to achieve. That rhymed... unintentionally."

Favorite MMA Fighters:
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Randy "The Natural" Couture
MetalMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Machiavelli_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 110
Machiavelli_08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Steven Seagal: He is a 7th Dan Aikido master. If this was a street fight Seagal would destroy pretty much every MMA fighter who comes anywhere near him.

The fact is with Aikido as soon as any force it placed in Seagals direction he'll just use it to throw you off balace, fling you to one side or break you. The fact is most fighters would not be fast enough to get within his face without ending up severely injured.
Seagal is one of the finest martial artists of our time and one shouldn't take him lightly. He is also a pretty big guy at well over 6 foot with great skill having taught hundreds if not thousands of people.

Do not lump him into MMA, which I love, because it is not the right scene to judge a fighter of his caliber if you're making rules against him. In a no rules street fight he would simply be lethal. He would not fight for any type of decision he would simply incapacitate his opponent.
Machiavelli_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cheers.
 
vandalian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,341
vandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crossesvandalian Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli_08
Steven Seagal: He is a 7th Dan Aikido master. If this was a street fight Seagal would destroy pretty much every MMA fighter who comes anywhere near him.

The fact is with Aikido as soon as any force it placed in Seagals direction he'll just use it to throw you off balace, fling you to one side or break you. The fact is most fighters would not be fast enough to get within his face without ending up severely injured.
Seagal is one of the finest martial artists of our time and one shouldn't take him lightly. He is also a pretty big guy at well over 6 foot with great skill having taught hundreds if not thousands of people.

Do not lump him into MMA, which I love, because it is not the right scene to judge a fighter of his caliber if you're making rules against him. In a no rules street fight he would simply be lethal. He would not fight for any type of decision he would simply incapacitate his opponent.
All good points. Too bad his movies suck.
vandalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #44 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,286
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLuv2FightU
Aikido is illegal to use in MMA. But it's fun as hell, I took it for a few years in high school.
Aikido is mostly about redirection of attacking force via throws and joint submissions. Perhaps certain joint locks might be illegal in MMA but there have to be a few locks that deal with large joints like shoulder, arm, knee, ankle, and all throws but spikes should be basically legal.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #45 (permalink)
Team Penn
 
MetalMunkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,454
MetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He Crosses
So, we're all in agreeance then?? Steven Seagal vs. Tim Sylvia at UFC 77.
__________________
"You must first believe if you are to achieve. That rhymed... unintentionally."

Favorite MMA Fighters:
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Randy "The Natural" Couture
MetalMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #46 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,286
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli_08
Steven Seagal: He is a 7th Dan Aikido master. If this was a street fight Seagal would destroy pretty much every MMA fighter who comes anywhere near him.

The fact is with Aikido as soon as any force it placed in Seagals direction he'll just use it to throw you off balace, fling you to one side or break you. The fact is most fighters would not be fast enough to get within his face without ending up severely injured.
Seagal is one of the finest martial artists of our time and one shouldn't take him lightly. He is also a pretty big guy at well over 6 foot with great skill having taught hundreds if not thousands of people.

Do not lump him into MMA, which I love, because it is not the right scene to judge a fighter of his caliber if you're making rules against him. In a no rules street fight he would simply be lethal. He would not fight for any type of decision he would simply incapacitate his opponent.
I find it odd that all the techniques you state Segal would use are totally legal in MMA (and used regularly) but you also suggest that perhaps the rules of MMA would be "against him"? And that he would do great in a street fight?

When you say MMA's rules are against him, what do you mean by that?
And why would he do better in a street fight? Because he could use moves that are illegal in both Aikido and MMA, like eyegouging and groin kicks? I mean, if Segal can put an eye gouge to good use I'm sure Randy or Chuck could too.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #47 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Machiavelli_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 110
Machiavelli_08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm not refering to eye gouging or groin kicks at all. Some people stated in earlier posts that according to UFC rules Aikido is illegal.
In which case, the rules are clearly set against him because he would not be able to practice his martial art. Do you see my logic? In a street fight anything goes and so he can enforce his knowledge of Aikido to the best of his ability which more often than not will leave his opponents severely incapacitated.
Machiavelli_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,286
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli_08
I'm not refering to eye gouging or groin kicks at all. Some people stated in earlier posts that according to UFC rules Aikido is illegal.
In which case, the rules are clearly set against him because he would not be able to practice his martial art. Do you see my logic? In a street fight anything goes and so he can enforce his knowledge of Aikido to the best of his ability which more often than not will leave his opponents severely incapacitated.
Ya, but that person was wrong. MMA sanctioning bodies don't ban any martial arts style, they just have a foul list. Unfortunately Aikido does employ a lot of techniques that are illegal in MMA such as eye gouging, fish hooking, small join manipulation, but the throws and large joint locks are totally legal and are a big part of Aikido. Other martial arts also employ illegal techniques but have successfully adapted the art to MMA rules, and I think an Aikido expert would still have a lot to work with in the octagon.

I agree that someone who trains specifically to gouge people's eyes (apparently they have goggles for training to enable eye gouge practice?) and break their fingers would be nasty in a street fight, but like I said to the other guy, I bet Chuck or Randy could gouge an out too if they had too
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.

Last edited by HexRei : 07-26-2007 at 02:34 PM.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Team Penn
 
MetalMunkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,454
MetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He CrossesMetalMunkey Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei
Ya, but that person was wrong. MMA sanctioning bodies don't ban any martial arts style, they just have a foul list. Unfortunately Aikido does employ a lot of techniques that are illegal in MMA such as eye gouging, fish hooking, small join manipulation, but the throws and large joint locks are totally legal and are a big part of Aikido. Other martial arts also employ illegal techniques but have successfully adapted the art to MMA rules, and I think an Aikido expert would still have a lot to work with in the octagon.

I agree that someone who trains specifically to gouge people's eyes (apparently they have goggles for training to enable eye gouge practice?) and break their fingers would be nasty in a street fight, but like I said to the other guy, I bet Chuck or Randy could gouge an out too if they had too
Chuck almost has on a couple of occasions.
__________________
"You must first believe if you are to achieve. That rhymed... unintentionally."

Favorite MMA Fighters:
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Randy "The Natural" Couture
MetalMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #50 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Machiavelli_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 110
Machiavelli_08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Perhaps HexRei but I think being specific to Steven Seagal as a 7th Dan he is far ahead of many top fighters in terms of how devastating he could be...it's difficult to be specific and in terms of conditioning he would have issues if it were competition fighting but if he could employ all his techniques and not just random eye gouging or groin shots then I firmly believe he would "defeat" many more fighters than he is being given credit for...you don't become a master just by eye gouging which as you rightly state any fighter e.g. Chuck Liddell could do if he had to...
Machiavelli_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios