Can the UFC make a new W/L category? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
MMA Smacktalk MMA Smacktalk is for all the cheering, jeering, and smack-talking that you want. This is the stuff that isn't appropriate for the MMA Discussion forum. Rules are light, so if you don't have a sense of humor, then don't go here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I don't know what the hell you two guys saw. None of those landed, they were all cautious from a distance, Burkman continued to try to take Swick down, Swick never really tried any of his great combos, yeah, good fight.
Maybe its the fact the me and Plazzman don't need a knockout to enjoy a fight. And we didn't get one in this, but we still saw a good fight, unlike you who must need a highlight reel knockout to enjoy a fight.
MLS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Megaweight
 
kds13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 5,148
Blog Entries: 11
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazzman View Post
Oh yeah, Head kicks, swinging wildly, spinning back kicks, back fists, knees, TD's, I think you have a point, these guys were just doing Ballet....


Is this the first fight you've ever seen?
It wasn't quite as exciting as you make it sound here, cause a lot of that didn't land. But it wasn't horrible. I think this fight is a classic case of not living up to expectations...therefore people are overreacting and calling it the worst fight ever.

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't that good either. Middle of the road fight, IMO.


EDIT:

Shamrock...keep it clean man. That was uncalled for...

kds13 is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Chocolate City
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Wise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,505
                     
Not middle in my opinion. For 2 guys who were really in need of a win, it was pretty bad. You can be elitist all you want and say you dont need a highlight real knockout to enjoy a fight, but this one was two timid cats. Keep in mind this is from the guy who wasnt feeling the last ppv because all the fights were one sided knockouts.


Last edited by Wise; 01-24-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Wise is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 AM
-I came|I saw|I failed-
 
plazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The plazzVan
Posts: 9,734
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds13 View Post
It wasn't quite as exciting as you make it sound here, cause a lot of that didn't land. But it wasn't horrible. I think this fight is a classic case of not living up to expectations...therefore people are overreacting and calling it the worst fight ever.

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't that good either. Middle of the road fight, IMO.


EDIT:

Shamrock...keep it clean man. That was uncalled for...
I know alot didn't land but they were still thrown, therefore dismissing the OP saying neither guy wanted to win/finish. Why would you throw if you didn't want it to hurt the other guy.

There are millions of fights, if not every fight except the BJJ showcases that dozens of punches are thrown to end a fight but most miss.

Its not like both guys were just throwing lazy jabs. Josh Freakin Burkman tried a spinning high kick, thats freakin cool as hell.
plazzman is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 AM
-I came|I saw|I failed-
 
plazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The plazzVan
Posts: 9,734
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Not middle in my opinion. For 2 guys who were really in need of a win, it was pretty bad. You can be elitist all you want and say you dont need a highlight real knockout to enjoy a fight, but this one was two timid cats. Keep in mind this is from the guy who wasnt feeling the last ppv because all the fights were one sided knockouts.
How is that elitist? I said I was content with the fight, there was much intention of a finish, but they didn't land, whats wrong with that? are you going to blame the guy for trying and me enjoying it?

Its true, I don't need a KO to end every fight, in fact i hate flash KO's, whats the point of hyping a fight if you have a KO in the first minute (IE: Chuck vs Rampage)

Thats not elitist, thats enjoying a long, back and forth fight
plazzman is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 AM
Bantamweight
 
Tripod87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 723
                     
The argument here isn't whether or not the fight was boring, it was the fact that Shamrock thought neither of the fighters wanted to win (he probably thought this because of the boring-ness of the fight). I still saw two fighters that definitely wanted to win, they just weren't going for the KO or sub win that's all. It's pretty obvious.

Burkman was trying to win the decision by getting a takedown, and it's pretty evident that he tried that ALL match. Swick tried to win by wearing Burkman down and throwing occasional body shots and leg kicks. Not every fighter looks for the KO or sub, because when you look for those, it does open up the counter KOs and counter subs from your opponent. This could have easily been their gameplan coming into the fight. They might have seen something on film where they thought that this was their best chance to win.

IMO, to say that neither fighter really wanted to win is pretty ignorant.
Tripod87 is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Chocolate City
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Wise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,505
                     
If anyone though, Swick looked like he was holding back more(alot like the Okami fight). You can blame the cut all you want but he looked pretty similar to when he wasnt cutting that much. Personally I think his loss to Okami had more to do with nerves then size, same goes for this fight. I think hes pretty lucky he got the W.

Wise is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 AM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
If anyone though, Swick looked like he was holding back more(alot like the Okami fight). You can blame the cut all you want but he looked pretty similar to when he wasnt cutting that much. Personally I think his loss to Okami had more to do with nerves then size, same goes for this fight. I think hes pretty lucky he got the W.
I agree with you, Swick did seem tentative. But he couldn't really just let his hands or kciks go because he had to deal with the constant attemtps at the takedown.
MLS is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Bantamweight
 
pliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 705
                     
I have to agree with these guys... I didnt enjoy that fight as I had hoped to. Swick was very cautious and bukman semmed to freeze once he got kicked in the head.

For me the clinch stalemates are what ruins a fight, and there was a lot of those...

I didnt enjoy the fight, it didnt look like any of the fighters wanted the win badly. Sorry, I think Shamrock is right.

At that level, you have to put it all on the line, give it all you got.... especially if its your long awaited return in a new division.

C'mon, swicks first round was HORRIBLE, how can you not see that?




pliff is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 AM
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pliff View Post
I have to agree with these guys... I didnt enjoy that fight as I had hoped to. Swick was very cautious and bukman semmed to freeze once he got kicked in the head.

For me the clinch stalemates are what ruins a fight, and there was a lot of those...

I didnt enjoy the fight, it didnt look like any of the fighters wanted the win badly. Sorry, I think Shamrock is right.

At that level, you have to put it all on the line, give it all you got.... especially if its your long awaited return in a new division.

C'mon, swicks first round was HORRIBLE, how can you not see that?
His first round was pretty bad, but to say they weren't trying to finish is crap. Alot of the stuff they were throwing didn't land, but they still throwing. Yeah swick didn't have his normal flurries, but they still attempted to finish.
MLS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome